Preview Chef's Table menus?

zitsky

So I didn't think to save these.  I was too busy trying to get a reservation time.  Has anyone saved the Chef's Table menus?  Do they vary by location?  I know I can view once I get on the ship.

35 minutes ago, worldtraveler1234 said:

The menus are showing on MVJ. Our cruise has Xiang,Asian Panorama, and Mexico. When the day was entered the menu for that day displayed.

I'm a little slow, sorry.  When the day was entered.... during booking?  where? How?

Are you talking about Sample Menus?

Thanks.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Yes booked menus are on the calendar.  I'll check on the ship.

Don’t hold me to it, but I think if you click on the menu it will show a preview in a pop up. Ours were listed under dining > Chefs Table before I booked our reservations. Once I booked them, those menus disappeared (so silly, why not leave them for reference). But I think I was checking something else and I clicked on the menu name in the calendar, and I think that’s how I was able to get it back. 

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

When you know the name of your Chef Table menu, you can look at the sample menu on My Viking Journey for the particular fare.

Are the sample menus the only ones for my cruise?

17 hours ago, zitsky said:

I'm a little slow, sorry.  When the day was entered.... during booking?  where? How?

Are you talking about Sample Menus?

Thanks.

Not sample.  It is what will be served in CT that night. It is a fixed menu, no choices per course. (Unless you ask for a substitute for some reason).

There are a couple of threads going that discuss the various menus and few have pictures. Here is one but I don't have time to look for other threads

Chef's Table Menus - La Route Des Indes and Xiang

53 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Last summer at least the menus on MVJ were called Sample and there were five different fixed menus each with a different name.  They were the actual menus that were rotated through the length of our cruise.  We booked our one guaranteed day but once on board reserved two more days no problem.  So i would say that if you see four or five different menus, they will each be available on your cruise for 2-3 days. 

7 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

called Sample

That is just a silly way to refer to them considering that it is a fixed menu. They need to come up with better terminology, something that does hint at the possibility of choice.

The other thing to note is that the first day of a rotation will not necessarily correspond to the first day of the cruise.

Maybe they call them Sample because all the menus listed may not be offered on your specific cruise.  On our 14 night cruise, all the "Samples" were offered but perhaps on a 7 night cruise they would not. As i recall, a Scandinavian menu was for the first two nights and then each menu thereafter ran for three  so Chefs Table had five menus.

8 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Maybe they call them Sample because all the menus listed may not be offered on your specific cruise.  On our 14 night cruise, all the "Samples" were offered but perhaps on a 7 night cruise they would not. As i recall, a Scandinavian menu was for the first two nights and then each menu thereafter ran for three  so Chefs Table had five menus.

They have added some new menus to the rotation, now, so you won't see all of them on a 14 night cruise. I'm hoping we get to sample some of the new menus on our next cruise--and that in the next 10 months, maybe they add a few more.

New Chef’s Table Menu-Lotus!!!

8 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

They have added some new menus to the rotation, now, so you won't see all of them on a 14 night cruise. I'm hoping we get to sample some of the new menus on our next cruise--and that in the next 10 months, maybe they add a few more.

8 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

A Mexican menu has been added and we did not have that one.  So new ones would be nice.  We liked CT the best.  We are adventurous diners and sometimes it was nice not having to decide what to order.

17 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Though they said “sample” all the menus listed under dining > Chefs Table were the ones available for our 12 day Eastern Seaboard Explorer. 

When my booking window opened up, and I clicked on the day I wanted to make the reservations, the menu name for that day was indicated and IIRC I could click on the name to look at the menu.  

My problem is that the one I really want to do starts it’s 3 day run on the next to the last day on the ship. I made the reservations, but I don’t know if I will keep them. 

For our last cruise, there were no previews, so we booked on the ship.  The one we wanted was only available the first 2 nights, so we missed the seafood buffet 🙁

It’s an adventure 🤣

On 8/1/2019 at 4:52 AM, TayanaLorna said:

A Mexican menu has been added and we did not have that one.  So new ones would be nice.  We liked CT the best.  We are adventurous diners and sometimes it was nice not having to decide what to order.

We agree with you Tayana!  We also like the Chef's Table best - always a fun adventure - and no decisions to make, unless you count the decision of yes or no to the waiter's offer of "would you like more wine" ?  🙂

I think that is also why we enjoy Viking - because it is an adventure and you go with the flow and experience new things.  We can always have a nice steak dinner at home.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 10:05 AM, zitsky said:

You will have 6 menus for your cruise.  That's what we had as the menu changed every other day.  What the are is determined by which ship, as all do not have every menu and where the rotation was when you boarded.

4 hours ago, Dauntless said:

You will have 6 menus for your cruise.  That's what we had as the menu changed every other day.  What the are is determined by which ship, as all do not have every menu and where the rotation was when you boarded.

Our experience has been like Peregrina's, as has our friends.  In fact everyone we know has experienced a rotation of 3 nights for Chef's Table menus, not 2 nights.  Perhaps the every other night was an exception or a trial to see if that would fly.   They do indeed try out new menus from time to time, and have new items in the same "named" menu.

Not knowing exactly what the menus will be like is part of the anticipation!