What they say....or what they do?

kidless

We’ve have only cruised Carnival, Celebrity but mostly Royal Caribbean. A big argument on RC is dress code. What RC suggests people wear to dinner many take literally as just a suggestion and wear what ever they want to dinner in MDR.

We are are getting ready to book a 7 day cruise on MSC. My question is what does MSC want you wearing to dinner? What do people actually wear? And does it matter? 

Disclaimer: DH & I are fine with dressing with what ever is expected. We’d prefer no suit for him or fancy dresses & high heels for me but we are rule followers by nature. Just want to know what actually goes on ship! 

2 minutes ago, kidless said:

We’ve have only cruised Carnival, Celebrity but mostly Royal Caribbean. A big argument on RC is dress code. What RC suggests people wear to dinner many take literally as just a suggestion and wear what ever they want to dinner in MDR.

We are are getting ready to book a 7 day cruise on MSC. My question is what does MSC want you wearing to dinner? What do people actually wear? And does it matter? 

Disclaimer: DH & I are fine with dressing with what ever is expected. We’d prefer no suit for him or fancy dresses & high heels for me but we are rule followers by nature. Just want to know what actually goes on ship! 

Pretty much like other lines.  They have suggestions but as long as not looking shabby and with some restrictions you'll be fine.  There is a grid out here with the levels.  Guessing you mean on sailings out of Miami?

15 hours ago, kidless said:

Yes MSC too have a "suggested" dress code  and as with many cruise lines there are some people who ignore the suggestion . 

the  "suggestion"   is what I guess MSC would prefer  I mean who want a cruise ship full of sloppily dressed people who make no effort to look smart whats so ever ?

What people wear to dinner doesnt bother some people , But on a personal level it does to me. I treat it like going out to a nice restaurant at home .  So smart dress is what I would prefer to see

So in answer to your question if you were going out to a nice restaurant at home what would you wear?  

• Like 2

We cruised on MSC in May out of Miami.  I brought a couple of black dresses and a couple of summer type dresses.  Hubby wore button down short sleeve shirt a couple of nights.  He brought suit but never wore it. 

To be honest some people were very dressed up and some people were not at all.  My feet swelled really bad by day 4 so I ended up having to wear my black flip flops to dinner the rest of the week.  I don't think anyone noticed.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Spidybabe1 said:

Cruised 4x on MSC and have seen people denied admission into MDR on formal nights due to their clothing, and being asked to either change or dine in the buffet 

Safe sailing 

I'm sure this is a turn off to some cruisers but honestly I prefer this type of policy. MSC is also the only cruise line I've been on that has asked parents to take their crying/screaming child from the MDR. Again, I'm sure some people will find that appalling but I find it refreshing. If you want to wear what you wore to the beach to lunch or dinner you're free to do so... at the buffet. It's not asking a lot that you wear sleeves to dinner, etc.

• Like 3

I think most are the same these days, polo shirt, jeans (not ripped) and trainers would be the absolute minimum expected in the mdr, anything less like shorts or flip flops should not be allowed.

10 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I think most are the same these days, polo shirt, jeans (not ripped) and trainers would be the absolute minimum expected in the mdr, anything less like shorts or flip flops should not be allowed.

I would rather have someone in well fitting shorts who understands that a belt is an accessory and not a tool to keep up your bottom clothing instead of someone wearing a dated, ill-fitting suit with a tie not fitting his body type.

Drawing the line on the category of clothing instead of the put together package is pretty outdated. 

• Like 1

Just off Armonia and it seemed anything goes. We dressed up for elegant nights, I wore a dress that I would wear to a wedding, Dh wore a dress shirt with a tie and dress slacks. My girls (13 & 15) dressed, well 15 yr old wore dresses, 13 yr old doesn’t dress up so she wore a pant suit one piece one night and black pants, nice top the other with just black Birkenstock’s. We saw people in shorts on those nights, even ripped jeans, they were not denied access to the MDR. Screaming unruly kids were EVERYWHERE and nothing was said to them that I was aware of. That part annoyed me, trying to have a nice dinner and kids were screaming at each other and running across the dining room. I didn’t take my children on cruises at that age for a reason, obviously others don’t think that way. 

We also dressed for the theme nights, unfortunately they had gatsby night on elegant night, so we didn’t dress for that. We did white night, 70’s night, cowboy night, not so much pirate night. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 3:13 AM, glittergal1 said:

So in answer to your question if you were going out to a nice restaurant at home what would you wear?  

We live in Florida near beach our finest restaurants would be nice dress slacks or khakis with collared shirt. DH only owns 1 suit used only in past for cruises. As stated we are rule followers but frankly we get little sick of lugging suit & all the paraphernalia that goes with it around to see a lot of people in shorts & tee-shirts (Royal Caribbean gotten bad) Which my husband would never wear in MDR at dinner. But he would be more comfortable especially on Caribbean cruise in just dress slacks & collared shirt. 

We were just off the Seaside in the Yacht Club. Our family wore basically the same to dinner each night which was going to church Sunday clothes. We did not dress up for the elegant nights. A man at the next table wore a different black t-shirt every night that had rock bands on them. Didn’t bother us at all, he just looked a little strange being in his 60s wearing that. 

• Like 1