BirdTravels to Alaska on the Norwegian Joy

BirdTravels

5 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Was this tour added on later just for your cruise?  I do not see it in the general Juneau shore excursions section

It is a regular tour offered on days that the ship does glacier watching after a morning stop in Juneau. It is not offered on cruises where are you go to Glacier Bay. 

• Like 1

Birdtravels

Thank you again for your wonderful report.

Do you happen to know how they handle the SDP in ocean blue...unlimited apps and deserts and 1 entree...but what about the sides...only 2 or more (like 3)...only normal or also premium?...just noticed that there are premium sides in ocean blue now...

Thx 

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is a regular tour offered on days that the ship does glacier watching after a morning stop in Juneau. It is not offered on cruises where are you go to Glacier Bay. 

Thank you!  I think my itinerary has that stop ( Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier 1:30pm).  Your pictures are amazing!  Thank you again for this wonderful, informative review and answering all my pesky questions!

Edited by disneylover89

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Do you mind me asking how much this excursion was?  This is the one excursion I really want to do?

The Endicott Arm and Glacier Explorer is offered on cruises that do glacier watching after a morning call in Juneau (i.e., not Glacier Bay cruises). This year, it cost $249 which is up from last year. 

image.thumb.png.36a092b113b98759d995ae5874f3d4a7.png

On 9/11/2019 at 4:20 AM, Kalum said:

Birdtravels

Thank you again for your wonderful report.

Do you happen to know how they handle the SDP in ocean blue...unlimited apps and deserts and 1 entree...but what about the sides...only 2 or more (like 3)...only normal or also premium?...just noticed that there are premium sides in ocean blue now...Thx 

I assume the premium sides are included. I don't recall ordering any. But we had 2 sides each without any additional charges. That is more than anyone could reasonably eat (we didn't finish our 4 that we shared). 

45 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The Endicott Arm and Glacier Explorer is offered on cruises that do glacier watching after a morning call in Juneau (i.e., not Glacier Bay cruises). This year, it cost $249 which is up from last year. 

Thank you! We are in Juneau from 7:00am-1:30pm so I believe we should have this tour. Slowly my excursions are starting to show so I will jump on this as soon as I see it. 

On 8/3/2019 at 1:48 PM, BirdTravels said:

Sat Seattle, Washington

Sun At Sea       

Mon Ketchikan, Alaska

Tue Juneau, Alaska

Tue Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier 

Wed Icy Strait Point, Alaska       

Thu At Sea        

Fri Victoria, British Columbia

Sat Seattle, Washington

Join the Bird on an Alaskan adventure on the Norwegian Joy. Alaska is one of our favorite locations to sail. The scenery and sea life can’t’ be matched. We sailed on inaugural Bliss last year and were scheduled to be on inaugural Joy (until NCL cancelled our cruise). A few months later, we are ready to experience the beautiful Norwegian Joy!

9D02DC40-BED2-491D-9054-3D95400A2C1A.jpeg

70097218-ADE5-46D2-8C5F-F2BC84FC305B.jpeg

Looks like it might be a good itinerary 

On 9/28/2019 at 4:55 PM, BirdTravels said:

Sorry to bother you again!

I have a $100 short excursion credit per port, since the Endicott Arm & Glacier Explorer excursions is listed under Juneau and leaves from their harbor, does that count as a Juneau excursion or is it considered a separate port excursion and I would get the $100 credit for both a Juneau excursion and an Endicott Arms excursion?  Thanks again!

Great review! I have one question though, being concierge class as I will be on my April 5th cruise. Did you happen to eat at La Cucina for lunch? If so what did the serv? Thanks for the help!

I think you are one of the first to post an American Diner menu.

On 10/1/2019 at 10:35 AM, bhampshire said:

Great review! I have one question though, being concierge class as I will be on my April 5th cruise. Did you happen to eat at La Cucina for lunch? If so what did the serv? Thanks for the help!

I think you are one of the first to post an American Diner menu.

Post number #18 has the lunch menu from La Cucina. One of our entrees was steak and truffle fries (which is definitely not served at the American Diner). 

Edited by BirdTravels

On 10/6/2019 at 1:39 PM, trela77 said:

This is such an amazing review, thank you! Do you by chance have the day 6 MDR menu?

I think that this is Day 6 MDR Dinner. Remember, the Executive Chef selects from a set of 14 MDR menus in advance of the cruise. The dinners on one cruise may not be the same as those on the next. (They actually have 21 menus for longer cruises). 

image.png

image.png

image.png

On 9/30/2019 at 12:36 PM, disneylover89 said:

Sorry to bother you again!

I have a $100 short excursion credit per port, since the Endicott Arm & Glacier Explorer excursions is listed under Juneau and leaves from their harbor, does that count as a Juneau excursion or is it considered a separate port excursion and I would get the $100 credit for both a Juneau excursion and an Endicott Arms excursion?  Thanks again!

It is considered Juneau. So, If you take a ShoreEx in the morning and the glacier cruise in the afternoon, you only get one $100 credit. 

We took the same ShoreEx last year on the inaugural voyage of the Bliss to Alaska (starting on Post #243). The captain of the Bliss was far more conservative on how far he was going to take the brand new Bliss into the ice fields near the glacier. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 1:51 AM, abigelow said:

DO YOU HAVE ANY ADDL FREE STYLE DALIES YOU CAN POST?

I believe that I posted all of the dailies for this Norwegian Joy cruise to Alaska. 

Other recent NCL cruises have included (we've been over cruising on Royal also since NCL has cancelled 3 of our cruises this year 😞)

Edited by BirdTravels

On 9/28/2019 at 10:51 PM, abigelow said:

DO YOU HAVE ANY ADDL FREE STYLE DALIES YOU CAN POST?

Oh yes, I did find those but it looked like Day 6 is missing....can you repost here?

Thank you kindly!  Your reviews are amazing!

Edited by abigelow

Just off the Joy today . Vancouver to LA

In reply to my earlier query , just a few bits of interest to those who may want to do this itinerary in the future

The ship had no passengers when arriving at around 7am, and  as such the embarkation process was super easy. We arrived at the port around 10am , there was just ourselves and another couple dropping our luggage off .Boarding had began , so Just a stroll through security and check in and straight on the ship - 5 minutes in total . The staterooms were ready and we dropped off our hand luggage . 

As we were due to be in Vancouver for 20+ hours , we were pleased to find that we were not charged sales/port tax on our drinks . 

The canadian port laws only allow for one bar to be open  per deck whilst in port , but Norwegian handled this really well , with the venues Eg the cavern , Q , the district etc remaining open and entertainment still being on. If you wanted a drink then you either walked to the one bar that was open  or a member of the wait staff would go for you . Closed is not closed ! 

The US customs were carried out in San Francisco and held us up .we were eventually off the ship at 12.30 after a two hour wait in line . 

• 1 month later...

Can someone recently on Joy comment about the Race Track? I have seen “side by side” seating for 2 as well as Solo riders carts. The carts that are “Side by side” work for younger kids who want to ride buy are not quite tall enough. Are the carts for Two still there or are they now gone?

• 3 weeks later...