Prawns and scallops in main dining room?

latebuyer

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

If the shell, head, and appendages/etc., have all been removed, how does one know which it is?

I've never really understood that. I don't think it is simply that "size matters"... :classic_wink:

GC

No, it is not the size. And you are correct, without the exoskeleton, it would be difficult to tell.

I was just curious what people meant by prawn and shrimp.  The only cruise line I ever had prawns on was an Azamara Journey cruise where the prawns were obtained from a local fresh water farm .  They were bought back to the ship packed in ice and were the  fresh cooked specialty in the buffet one evening. Each one was the size of my fist after being sauteed . 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 2:50 PM, sail7seas said:

The y serve prawns,  shrimp but in all my HAL  cruises, I do not recall seeing scallops on a HAL MDR  dinner   menu.      I recently  bought sea scallops to make for dinnner and whoa   ,t hey are running very pricey now.  🙂

They are so good   grilled in light amount of butter

I bought some  large, really great looking scallops and plan  to  broil them.     They are very pricey  but   I am worth it.   Big,  plump  scallops.   Yumm,  I will likely make them tomorrow.

image.png.b45a9681cb97ab658eca33153d17b3b6.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

22 hours ago, Homosassa said:

No, it is not the size. And you are correct, without the exoskeleton, it would be difficult to tell.

I was just curious what people meant by prawn and shrimp.  The only cruise line I ever had prawns on was an Azamara Journey cruise where the prawns were obtained from a local fresh water farm .  They were bought back to the ship packed in ice and were the  fresh cooked specialty in the buffet one evening. Each one was the size of my fist after being sauteed . 

I’ve certainly seen both prawns & shrimp on HAL cruises.

Prawns:

99363F23-6373-4362-8A2D-7625931B8CDD.jpeg.e9f686f75cded7ea3044d436d4cbb818.jpeg

shrimp: 

C97F25AD-E94F-4555-B368-D08C53D20F61.jpeg.50f7e69b4f9211427365bbe39212a501.jpeg

7F5F8DDE-7F59-47B2-ACF7-BEB4B4D26E24.jpeg.ace02608164c5fc8f1502ae9b2f49c7b.jpeg

Prawns have a different taste than shrimp.

Maybe not a good comparison - but sort of like langoustine & lobster.

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’ve certainly seen both prawns & shrimp on HAL cruises.

Prawns:

99363F23-6373-4362-8A2D-7625931B8CDD.jpeg.e9f686f75cded7ea3044d436d4cbb818.jpeg

shrimp: 

C97F25AD-E94F-4555-B368-D08C53D20F61.jpeg.50f7e69b4f9211427365bbe39212a501.jpeg

7F5F8DDE-7F59-47B2-ACF7-BEB4B4D26E24.jpeg.ace02608164c5fc8f1502ae9b2f49c7b.jpeg

Prawns have a different taste than shrimp.

Maybe not a good comparison - but sort of like langoustine & lobster.

Taste of langousine vs. lobster is very different.

I question those who report having seen scallops served on HAL  ships.  I have not and seeing how much I enjoy them,  it is not likely  I would not have seen them, either served or on the menu, if that was the case.

I would not  be  able to point out a    cooked shrimp vs prawn.

13 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Taste of langousine vs. lobster is very different.

And that was exactly my point of shrimps and prawns when I said “ sort of like langoustine Y lobster “ Both are delicious but different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

And that was exactly my point of shrimps and prawns when I said “ sort of like langoustine Y lobster “ Both are delicious but different.

I LOVE langoustines!  I had the best ever in Portree, Isle of Skye.😋😍

• Like 1

Somewhat confusing, UK and Australians often refer to shrimp as "prawns".  Also no guarantees that HAL is using the term prawns in the technically correct (and American) sense though.  Some places might label a shrimp as a prawn just to "fancy" up the menu if they're using the UK version of labeling (e.g., chips vs. crisps or 'aus jus" vs pan sauce).

I spotted both scallops and prawns on the menu at the beginning of this year.  No guarantees they'll be on the menu moving forward for the '19-'20 Caribbean season.

Jan. 2, 2019 - Oosterdam MDR Caribbean itinerary dinner

1740470571_FullSizeRender2.thumb.jpg.13875d41d37ca7f00443f0fad6b26833.jpg

Jan. 4, 2019 - Oosterdam MDR Caribbean itinerary dinner

2133668423_FullSizeRender3.thumb.jpg.980a59048e632f31191c071647a1cd11.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jb008 said:

Somewhat confusing, UK and Australians often refer to shrimp as "prawns".  Also no guarantees that HAL is using the term prawns in the technically correct (and American) sense though.  Some places might label a shrimp as a prawn just to "fancy" up the menu if they're using the UK version of labeling (e.g., chips vs. crisps or 'aus jus" vs pan sauce).

I spotted both scallops and prawns on the menu at the beginning of this year.  No guarantees they'll be on the menu moving forward for the '19-'20 Caribbean season.

Jan. 2, 2019 - Oosterdam MDR Caribbean itinerary dinner

1740470571_FullSizeRender2.thumb.jpg.13875d41d37ca7f00443f0fad6b26833.jpg

Jan. 4, 2019 - Oosterdam MDR Caribbean itinerary dinner

2133668423_FullSizeRender3.thumb.jpg.980a59048e632f31191c071647a1cd11.jpg

Thanks for posting the menus and also, at the same time confirming that HAL can serve scallops as an entree. 😉 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2019 at 9:58 AM, christinand said:

I'm wondering if prawns and scallops are served in the main dining room at all? I love prawns and scallops!

Although you queried about availability in MDR - on our June cruise on the Zuiderdam, there were shrimp & scallops (both small sized) available at the pasta bar in the evenings. You can chose the quantity (within reason) you want and have them pan cooked in a various sauces (including butter). Didn't need to take any pasta if you didn't want it.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 4:45 PM, jb008 said:

I find that wild caught and organic shrimp that is frozen and raw comes out best when I do shrimp at home.  

Oosterdam in Jan '19 one of the MDR dinner entrees was Shrimp and Scallop Coconut Red Curry, black sticky rice, fava bean

think I ordered that, as I seem to remember playing my favorite "game" with scallops... did they remove the side-muscle (which I don't think they did - almost nobody seems to make the effort to remove the foot).  If my memory about the scallops is accurate, they would have been at least halfway decent size in order to have a foot large enough to notice.  If you're really curious, I posted the menus 

I will be on the Oosterdam in a couple of weeks. I will watch for scallops on the menu. And my TA has gifted a lunch & dinner in the PG, and one in Canaletto, so I can check them out. Of course, there is nothing to prevent the chefs from offering scallops at the place I am not eating - which would not be my preference.

On 10/6/2019 at 11:42 AM, kazu said:

Thanks for posting the menus and also, at the same time confirming that HAL can serve scallops as an entree. 😉 🙂 

?    "Can serve scallops as an  entree? "     Of course they can......    the question was  ' do they'  and the above menus certainly confirm they do now.     I wonder how recently they w ere added to some HAL menus.    I really like the sound of the arrabiata on one of  the above menus.    Arrabiata is a favorite of mine.

'

33 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I will be on the Oosterdam in a couple of weeks. I will watch for scallops on the menu. And my TA has gifted a lunch & dinner in the PG, and one in Canaletto, so I can check them out. Of course, there is nothing to prevent the chefs from offering scallops at the place I am not eating - which would not be my preference.

Enjoy your cruise!

I try to get pics of the MDR dinner menu for every day of the cruise - it provides some free entertainment usu. in the late evening (menus generally were swapped after 2nd seating in the cases outside the MDR) or the afternoon.  I noticed that MDR menus were available on the HAL Navigator wi-fi site.  May be worth scoping out the menus in advance before you pick what days  you do the speciality restaurants.  I think they themed some of the MDR dinners and there may be a night where the theme doesn't tickle your fancy anyway.  Could also ask if you can convert the speciality restaurant gifts/vouchers over to OBC. I know our TA offers "meals" that are noted in the fine print as posting as OBC anyway.

33 minutes ago, jb008 said:

Enjoy your cruise!

I try to get pics of the MDR dinner menu for every day of the cruise - it provides some free entertainment usu. in the late evening (menus generally were swapped after 2nd seating in the cases outside the MDR) or the afternoon.  I noticed that MDR menus were available on the HAL Navigator wi-fi site.  May be worth scoping out the menus in advance before you pick what days  you do the speciality restaurants.  I think they themed some of the MDR dinners and there may be a night where the theme doesn't tickle your fancy anyway.  Could also ask if you can convert the speciality restaurant gifts/vouchers over to OBC. I know our TA offers "meals" that are noted in the fine print as posting as OBC anyway.

Great idea! Thank you!

On 10/4/2019 at 6:01 PM, Homosassa said:

From which port did  they br ing those prawns from a'fresh water farm'  to the ship?

Had you not been told they were pawns, how would you have  recognized   them as not  being  shrimp but rather that what was  being served were  prawns?

What could you recognize as  being distinctively different from shrimp?

I ask because I suspect many (most ?)  of us   who eat shrimp  have been served prawns and did not know it.