Is there a diabetic menu in the Main Dining Room?

HvySeezFcstr

You might want to do just that and be sure to explain what you mean by diabetic menu.   Different people have different ideas on what that should be.  

When ordering in the MDR, I generally tell them to leave off the starch and fill the plate up with some type of vegetable.  You can choose a vegetable from another entree or they can usually get you broccoli.  I do emphasize to fill up the plate - they seem to be a bit afraid of serving vegetables.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

You might want to do just that and be sure to explain what you mean by diabetic menu.   Different people have different ideas on what that should be.  

When ordering in the MDR, I generally tell them to leave off the starch and fill the plate up with some type of vegetable.  You can choose a vegetable from another entree or they can usually get you broccoli.  I do emphasize to fill up the plate - they seem to be a bit afraid of serving vegetables.

Good suggestion!

• Like 1

My mom who was diabetic cruised with HAL without problems.  We notified Seattle several months before the cruise of her needs.  They took very good care of her.  On the menu each night are no sugar added desserts, if you can eat any of those.  Mom never ordered any of them.  Instead she asked for sliced strawberries which they were more than happy to bring her.

Enjoy your cruise, and I hope HAL fulfills your needs as well as they did for Mom.

Definitely notify HAL in advance. You will likely be given a menu the night before so you can preorder dinner for the next night. And as previously stated, you might want to clarify what you mean by Diabetic diet. You might want to make sure that follows you for any HAL shorex with a meal included.

Some of HAL’s No Added Sugar (NAS) items are pretty high in carbs, and “fast” carbs at that. (NAS pie, I’m looking at you.) From the “regular” menu  I found the flourless chocolate cake to have very little consequences to my blood sugar, but some of the NAS items not so much.😫

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Think about what you do for meals at home and when you go out to eat.  Do you get something totally different from everyone else or do you just ask for "no starch, no sauce"?  I'm always wary of ordering any kind of special meal.  I've been able to get by quite nice by ordering a salad with dressing on the side, an entree with no starch, but extra veggies, and when it's available, a cheese plate. I avoid any of those "sugar-free" desserts - everyone seems to think that diabetics just avoid sugar - because they are usually carb-loaded with everything else.    You know how much carb you can have at each meal and as your snacks - apply that same approach to the meals on the ship.   

Look on this forum where people have posted the regular MDR menus and use these to explore if you could adapt the menu items to your needs.  If no, then I'd ask for special diet menus.  Also, the Lido is a great place to make your own diabetic-friendly meals.  

The one thing to do for sure: ask your cabin attendant for  Sharps disposal container.  Be sure to put all your lancets in there and any needles (if you inject).   I carry a small pill bottle with me and I will put any lancets in there until I can safely dispose of them.  I'm going camping tomorrow and I've got the bottle ready - don't want any of my friends to accidentally get stuck!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Think about what you do for meals at home and when you go out to eat.  Do you get something totally different from everyone else or do you just ask for "no starch, no sauce"?  I'm always wary of ordering any kind of special meal.  I've been able to get by quite nice by ordering a salad with dressing on the side, an entree with no starch, but extra veggies, and when it's available, a cheese plate. I avoid any of those "sugar-free" desserts - everyone seems to think that diabetics just avoid sugar - because they are usually carb-loaded with everything else.    You know how much carb you can have at each meal and as your snacks - apply that same approach to the meals on the ship.   

Look on this forum where people have posted the regular MDR menus and use these to explore if you could adapt the menu items to your needs.  If no, then I'd ask for special diet menus.  Also, the Lido is a great place to make your own diabetic-friendly meals.  

The one thing to do for sure: ask your cabin attendant for  Sharps disposal container.  Be sure to put all your lancets in there and any needles (if you inject).   I carry a small pill bottle with me and I will put any lancets in there until I can safely dispose of them.  I'm going camping tomorrow and I've got the bottle ready - don't want any of my friends to accidentally get stuck!!!

Great advice. never thought of using a pill bottle for the lancets.perfect idea! I will certainly start doing that

33 minutes ago, lv2teach said:

Great advice. never thought of using a pill bottle for the lancets.perfect idea! I will certainly start doing that

I use the heavy, OTC-type bottles, like those that aspirin, glucosamine, or Citrucel come in. I wouldn't use the hard plastic that prescription meds come in, as they are brittle and could break easily.

9 hours ago, RuthC said:

I use the heavy, OTC-type bottles, like those that aspirin, glucosamine, or Citrucel come in. I wouldn't use the hard plastic that prescription meds come in, as they are brittle and could break easily.

Right now, I'm using my old Xyrtec bottle - screw lid.