Anyone to share their day by day in ANTARCTICA?

rosewood jo

I would love to read about others having taken Silversea expeditions  to Antarctica & South Georgia islands.    Please let me know if any special links that I can read!  I’m planning on going on the silver wind after refurb in December 2020!   

C2ADB4E5-9EF3-48D9-8198-1CB76E29175C.jpeg

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Hopefully the Cloud will have better wifi by then. Not counting on a good international roaming signal in Antarctica! But yes, Rachel, Stumblefoot, and I will do our best to share.

The signal on the CLOUD in Antarctica this March was much better the one on the Shadow now in the Med.

• Thanks 1

We love Explorer. And Antarctica. You are going to have a great time!

Will be interesting to see if we love it on the Cloud as much. After 9 days on Cloud in Iceland, I am confident that we will. Though there are some subtle differences between Explorer and the larger Cloud. The expedition crew is twice as big so we didn't get to know all of them, like we did on Explorer. It was odd to have trivia, and both a pianist and a keyboard guy on board. Fun, but odd.

And it's a little weird to have all these great restaurants on an expedition ship. It didn't seem real to us to be in La Dame during an expedition, after so much time on Explorer. The Explorer has a rustic vibe that marries well with expedition cruising. It may take us a few more times to get used to Cloud in that role. But we will just have to make that sacrifice!

Just bought RT tickets to Santiago for January, so it just got real!

39 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

And it's a little weird to have all these great restaurants on an expedition ship. It didn't seem real to us to be in La Dame during an expedition, after so much time on Explorer.

This is the very reason we chose the Cloud over the Explorer for Antarctica (oh, and the price too 😉).  If we’re going on expedition, then I want all the creature comforts, and them some, for the price premium we pay vs. the classic ships. 😊

48 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

This is the very reason we chose the Cloud over the Explorer for Antarctica (oh, and the price too 😉).  If we’re going on expedition, then I want all the creature comforts, and them some, for the price premium we pay vs. the classic ships. 😊

Totally agree.  While Explorer holds a fond place in my heart, I love the larger cabins on Cloud, the dining variety, and trivia of course.  Also enjoy a real walking/running track and larger gym with actual classes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/10/2019 at 12:52 PM, rosewood jo said:

I would love to read about others having taken Silversea expeditions  to Antarctica & South Georgia islands.    Please let me know if any special links that I can read!  I’m planning on going on the silver wind after refurb in December 2020!   

We were on SS Explorer in 2014.  We have done 25+ cruises and this was the best...  I did a you tube video of some of my photos..  Staff was great.  Food was good.  After that we did two more Explorer cruises to the Arctic and to East Africa.

• Like 2

Your day:

Wake up (that is if you were able to sleep through the excitement) - gear up - be blown out of the water by the mountains, animals, and icebergs- don't pet the critters even though they walk next to you- kayak, hike, but most of all sit and watch (very important, wish I had done more of this) - drink, eat, drink - try and sleep. Rinse, lather, repeat. Plan your trip back. 

General Tips

Weather every morning started 31 and cloudy. It's warmer then you think. You'll most likely get a mix of sun and sudden snow squalls through the day. Layers. Obviously, be prepared for canceled stops and rough seas, although we had neither. Our captiam actually squeezed in two extra days of stops.

Layers and gear-  I was more than warm with thermal tights and waterproof pants. Thermal socks. Silk tank, lightweight thermal zip turtleneck and expecition jacket. Earmuffs to Mukluk hat depending on day. Polar scarf. Glove liners and thermal gloves. We hauled our own boots. I used gel inserts and wanted to make sure they fit.  Note - I grew up in the north, those used to a more southern climate doubled down on thermal layers. If the zodiac ride is more than 20-30 minutes your derriere could get a bit chilly.

Gear - Celll phone pouch, if that is your camera. I'll bring a go pro for kayaking next trip. I rarely used hiking poles, but there were several days I was glad to have them. Expedition team told us at briefing when we might want them. A lot of people never used them. STAY on the path. Twisted my knee in deep snow when I was looking at critters instead of watching where I was going. Good binoculars, not every whale will be next to the boat.  Internet will be spotty because of your position on the globe.

Grytviken tip - get your quick shot of Shackelton's grave and pay the proper respect he deserves,  but try and spend some time in the museum. Great photo opps of critters and rusty structures on the way. Gift shop has great stuff. Chile base also has a small gift shop if you stop there.

Again, find a rock or snow bank to sit and watch.

RachelG  - can't wait to see what bar supplies you consume to the point of extenction.

• Like 1

Just now, Stumblefoot said:

You’ll have to introduce us to some good gin pre-dinner drinks JP as that is a spirit I know very little about.

Butting in with Gin cocktail advice.

French 75   - Not for the faint of heart. Named after WWl 75mm field gun because of its kick. Sometimes made with Cognac. 

• Like 2

On 8/10/2019 at 9:52 AM, rosewood jo said:

Hi it looks like we will be with you on the Wind in December 2020. We liked it so much last year we are going back. This time out to Easter Island for a week.  See a thread of our trip 2019 on the Cloud. 

• Like 1