Carnival MasterCard travel insurance

Slacktide

I always get travel insurance through insuremytrip, won't sail without a policy. While surfing Barclays site I saw where if you book your trip using your Carnival MasterCard that they provide a policy included. Has anyone relied on this for thier travel insurance needs?  I'm on the fence and would hate a surprise if it were ever needed.

I haven't looked at the Barclay card's benefits too closely, but they seem to be fairly minimal and won't cover all of the circumstances that might be covered by other trip insurance (such as cancellation for weather or work, missed connections, etc.). I'd have to compare a policy side-by-side with the card's benefits to determine whether I could get by on the card's benefit alone. Personally, I prefer to pay a little more for a more generous policy.

Edit: Found the card benefits here.

Edited by Bahbert

Many CC have travel insurance - not sure how much. Amex sell travel insurance as a perk on some of its cards and I have bought in for a monthly cost of $18 a month for family plan if you are over 100 miles from home and need emergent care. Its extensive and good - but I always buy cruise insurance as I have read to many disasters about not having coverage.

8 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Many CC have travel insurance - not sure how much. Amex sell travel insurance as a perk on some of its cards and I have bought in for a monthly cost of $18 a month for family plan if you are over 100 miles from home and need emergent care. Its extensive and good - but I always buy cruise insurance as I have read to many disasters about not having coverage.

the mastercard insurance covers many things but it does not offer the comprehensive medial coverage that most people want. It does cover trip cancellation, lost luggage, and accidents. 

This is actually great news for me. When we booked our upcoming cruise I purchased an annual travel insurance polity for us, specifically to get medical coverage/evacuation/repatriation with higher limits. However, it doesn't cover the usual trip cancellation/delay/baggage coverage.  DH & I are both 60, and will be taking a few short cruises this upcoming year because they are easier to fit into our schedule, and the annual policy for us was just $200. I always had purchased individual trip insurance as soon as I booked and made sure to get it with pre-existing conditions covered. Now, with the annual policy, by the 2nd-3rd trip it will have paid for itself. Since I always charge our trip on the Carnival card anyway (for the double-points) now I have some of the other coverage for free. Thanks so much for the info!

Edited by Wanna_Cruize

We used the Carnival Barclay card to book our Carnival 4 night cruise for February of 19. But my husband broke his big toe and went to urgent care 2 days before the cruise. The DR said he absolutely could not take the cruise, as he had to have his leg elevated and his foot iced for 20 minutes every waking hour for a week.

i immediately called our Carnival PVP but she refunded the port taxes and fees. Then we had to submit the doctor’s notes, etc to the Barclay card and everything was refunded to us in about 4-6 weeks.

One thing to know - if you are booking multiple cabins, the insurance offered through the credit card only covers your expenses & your offspring up to a certain age and it may have also been dependent on whether they were in school.  In our case, the other cabins were for our grown children.  We had to change plans with 4 cabins booked.  Fortunately, due to circumstances, fees were waived & cruise moved to a later date.