Mediterranean Excursions

carlsbadguy

I have an Oceania Med cruise booked on the Marina. leaving Nov 11.  I was thinking of the following 3 excursions for my O Life and was wondering if anyone has been on them.

CIV-017  Farmhouse Culinary Experience. Have been to Rome before so thinking of doing something in the countryside.

JTR-009 Santorini by Private Boat

PMI-003 The Caves of Drach in Palma De Mallorca

On 8/14/2019 at 2:21 PM, carlsbadguy said:

I have an Oceania Med cruise booked on the Marina. leaving Nov 11.  I was thinking of the following 3 excursions for my O Life and was wondering if anyone has been on them.

CIV-017  Farmhouse Culinary Experience. Have been to Rome before so thinking of doing something in the countryside.

I hate to say it , as a cave lover, but Drach cave is pretty bad  Poor guides, Poor lighting, poor formations. covered in chicken wire to prevent any  more vandalization...  However the dark is fine......They run people through in waves.  sad...to see.  Go visit Carlsbad Caverns ....Drach will depress you if you love nature.

Edited by Hawaiidan

On 8/14/2019 at 2:21 PM, carlsbadguy said:

I don't know what Santorini is like in Nov. but we were there in spring a couple of years ago and it was a mess of tourists.  And does "private boat" mean you're on your own after that?  From the port to town(s) it can be also a mess.

We don't do ship-sponsored shore-ex but a half dozen people we met aboard did the farmhouse culinary thing last November.

They said it was excellent. Could not stop raving about it.

It has made us want to arrangew a similar on-our-own experience next time we are in Civitavecchia.

3 hours ago, marylizcat said:

If it is your first visit to Majorca, I would do a tour which includes the vintage train ride to Soller. That is a great trip. Caves are caves, I would see the island!

Please tell me more about this 😊

Thanks 

Thinking of cancelling the Cave tour and trying to figure out my 3rd O Life Excursion. Was going to do Athens on my own Hop On/Off Bus but has anyone done this tour Acropolis & Plaka Stroll (PIR-006) - Wondering if it is a guided tour or if you are just dropped off at Acropolis. 

As to Athens, we did a private tour with Athens Walking Tours in October 2011 (so I won't quote any prices)!  We did the Food Tour which took us to many small places with tastings.  I had too many for one group so we were broken up into two.  Back then they offered the tour on weekdays at 10am.  The meeting places was outside the Panepistimio Metro Station, on Korai street (follow the signs for 'Korai' exit) outside the Starbucks. Look for the orange Athens Walking Tours signs, our guides are holding to recognize them.

I don't recall that we had a problem getting there from Piraeus.

P.S.  I just checked my diary, and although back in 2011 they did not offer the Food Tour on the weekend, I was able to book it for the Saturday we were there with a sufficient number of people.  That was 6, and we ended up with 16 which is why they broke us up into two groups.

I do highly recommend this tour if you are interested in venturing out on your own.  Your roll call can help with finding other participants.  Note:  I just checked availability and these days the cost is 49EUR for adults (44EUR for students).  We paid 39EURpp in 2011 ... But this tour IS still available.

We've done Food Tours in a number of foreign cities and this was one of the best.  Everyone enjoyed this very much -- even a husband who wasn't enthusiastic about joining but his wife wanted to; he love dit. www.athenswalkingtours.gr

AS TO MALLORCA ....

When we were there on our own (with a car) in 1972 we discovered the wonderful village of Fornalutx.  It may have changed since then ... This remains my favorite stop in Mallorca, however.  Since that trip we have met a friend who lives there -- she was even a licensed tour guide when we met her -- and so we've never taken a ship's tour there.  And no ship's tour will take you to Fornalutx, that's for sure.

But one very popular visit is to Valdemossa where Chopin and George Sand stayed for a time (1938-39).  We visited there in 1972 and enjoyed the visit very much.  Musical people will enjoy it more than non-musical people perhaps.  But when we've been there on cruises, there always seemed to be a tour that included a stop here.  It's not a huge place ... at least it wasn't in 1972.

We did the farmhouse this past June and it was such a fun day! Our itinerary had us in Rome on a Sunday with many places closed so this was a wonderful alternative. They also served wine, cappuccino, pastry, charcuterie board, etc.

63AD2CE6-ADBA-41A7-9BF6-B67B5D9E2333.jpeg

4C63F6DC-54B6-4CF7-8BBC-0F0CB9EB4166.jpeg

E993D8D2-B552-46D5-AB5A-1BAE03C421EA.jpeg