Cruising with New toddler

Koali

We have cruised before, but first time with my daughter. We’re looking at a cruise out of NYC since we can drive to the port from Philly. NCL seems to have a lot of options. 

Are there toddler friendly activities onboard for 18 month baby? Is there an age limit on the splash pad? Is there babysitting? 

Also how do babies sleep? Is there enough room to bring a pack and play? Or does the cruise provide a crib? I never hear the neighbors but I wonder if they can hear a crying baby? 

We love cruising and hope to be able to get back into it! 

While there is no age limit on the splash pad, it is restricted to kids who are potty trained only.  No swim diapers allowed.  No NCL ship has a "swim diaper" splash area.  The only ships that do are all the Disney ships, and RCI's Oasis, Quantum, Freedom, and some Voyager class ships.

Lots of us have cruised with toddlers and loved it, even on ships without specific toddler activities.  Princess allows you to bring your toddler into the kids club to play as long as a parent is present.  RCCL has group babysitting available on some ships.  One of my girls wasn't potty trained until she was four, so we did lots of cruises without using the pools and always had a great time.  You can bring a blow up bathtub for some splash play on deck.  

Generally babies/toddlers sleep really well on a ship because of the gentle rocking.  Crying-wise, one of my girls once had an ear infection on board and non-stop cried into the night while waiting for the anti-biotics to kick in.  I offered to buy my neighbors drinks to make up for the disturbance, but they said they didn't hear anything.  I don't know if they were just being nice, but I also have never noticed noise from neighboring cabins.  

The cruise will provide a crib or pack n' play, depending on the line.  You request it ahead of time.  

I found cruising the best way to travel with little ones.  Now that my girls are older, we mix cruising with land-based vacations, but when they were small, cruising was the way to go.   Staying on routine, sleeping in the same bed each night, being able to rely on foods they like, etc and basically having everything done for me while I just enjoyed my family was wonderful.  The ships cater to families and make it very easy.  You'll find lots of info here.  

• Like 1

Whatever you do at home with your toddler, you can do on the ship.  Some ships have nurseries, if you're wanting some sort of babysitting.  Not all, tho.

On ships with splash pads, make sure they're for diapered kids....

Research your ports, so you can find "kid friendly" sights and activities....there will be plenty, because children do live in those ports!

Great to hear that cruising with a toddler is pretty easy! We will probably do a Canadian cruise which we’ve done before so the ports won’t be as important to us. Just an opportunity to get off ship and walk around. 

On 8/16/2019 at 8:34 PM, Koali said:

Great to hear that cruising with a toddler is pretty easy! We will probably do a Canadian cruise which we’ve done before so the ports won’t be as important to us. Just an opportunity to get off ship and walk around. 

The only NCL ship with a nursery is the Escape, but it sails out of NYC.

• 4 weeks later...

I have done 3 cruises with my toddler all on RCCL. She loves the play area on the Oasis class ships and loves going into the nursery area when mom and dad need a "kid break."

As of last year, RCCL has ceased in-room babysitting, but their nursery really is top notch. They change out the toys everyday to better stimulate the kids.

As for pool usage on RCCL. The 2 Oasis class ships I have been on, have had a splash area for kids with swim diapers (Oasis and Harmony.) Enchantment of the Seas however did not have a splash area for swim diapers.

If you your child cannot sleep on the couch, the cruise line SHOULD provide a pack n' Play for you, just bring a clean sheet! So far we have had a blast taking our daughter on the cruises. At this point she will be Pinnacle by the time she is 10!

• Like 1