Refundable OBC

Saildude16

A new(to us) travel agent has offered  "refundable" OBC to get our booking.  It was explained that the agency would deposit it directly into our shipboard account.  At the end of the cruise any unused balance would be credited to our credit card.  We're unfamiliar with this approach as on prior cruises we've either gotten a "rebate" check from other travel agencies before or after the voyage.  

Feedback from others that have used this approach would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Saildude16 said:

A new(to us) travel agent has offered  "refundable" OBC to get our booking.  It was explained that the agency would deposit it directly into our shipboard account.  At the end of the cruise any unused balance would be credited to our credit card.  We're unfamiliar with this approach as on prior cruises we've either gotten a "rebate" check from other travel agencies before or after the voyage.  

Feedback from others that have used this approach would be appreciated.

Wouldn't be any different than the rebate check except you might be tempted to spend some on board and instead of having the cash before the cruise you would have the cash in your pocket as you disembark.  You see generally the ship refunds all refundable OBC in cash on the last day oft he cruise.and if not you can certainly ask for cash so you can spend as you choose and not have a credit balance on your credit card.

O

Am a little concerned as to why this new TA won't simply give you a check rather than sending the money to Regent.  You see there are times that REgent provides some of the OBC to the TA for promotional reasons and even if the TA adds their own cash the entire OBC becomes non-refundable.

Recommend you tell this new TA you want the check sent directly to you before sailing to avoid the possibility of finding out on board that the OBC in non-refundable.  Can't think of any reason why the TA would not send you the check directly unless Regent is supplementing the amount making in non-refundable.  Their not knowing that OBC is generally refunded in cash and not to credit card is concerning.  You see putting a credit on your credit card means Regent pays a credit card charge so better for them to give you cash.  Good luck

Our TA offers either a check sent to us at the end of the cruise or an OBC for the same amount.  However, she told us the OBC is non-refundable, so we'll elect for the check.  We already have an OBC from Regent that should be enough.  And if we spend more, we'll have that check at the end to cover the extra charges.

If the OBC is truly refundable, I don't see any reason not to take it.

17 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Our TA sends a check before the cruise!  While things may have changed, when we have had refundable OBC's, Regent would not put it back on our credit card but instead gave us cash.

Our TA gave us OBC and a rebate check to be sent after the cruise.

5 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Our TA gave us OBC and a rebate check to be sent after the cruise.

We also get a check back after the cruise, depending on what Regent is offering we'll also get the OBC.  Keep in mind it's the total amount you should be concerned about, not because it's split into OBC & rebate.  

3 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

We also get a check back after the cruise, depending on what Regent is offering we'll also get the OBC.  Keep in mind it's the total amount you should be concerned about, not because it's split into OBC & rebate.  

What is interesting to me is that the OBC is from the TA, not Regent (per her email), as well as the rebate.  I'm assuming that the OBC is refundable, but I admit I'm not 100% sure.  Guess I'll find out...maybe not since we'll surely spend it one way or another on board.

10 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

What is interesting to me is that the OBC is from the TA, not Regent (per her email), as well as the rebate.  I'm assuming that the OBC is refundable, but I admit I'm not 100% sure.  Guess I'll find out...maybe not since we'll surely spend it one way or another on board.

That is possible, all your TA is doing is breaking up you rebate- part OBC and part check.  If you don't won't the OBC part just tell them you prefer your total rebate in a form of a check.  But always ask if Regent is giving OBC your cruise (could be a promotion or that cruise falls in a group cruise from your TA) that you should get.  I'd think most TA's would give it without asking but why chance it (always ask).

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

That is possible, all your TA is doing is breaking up you rebate- part OBC and part check.  If you don't won't the OBC part just tell them you prefer your total rebate in a form of a check.  But always ask if Regent is giving OBC your cruise (could be a promotion or that cruise falls in a group cruise from your TA) that you should get.  I'd think most TA's would give it without asking but why chance it (always ask).

Thanks for the clarifications.

It isn't an issue.  In the end it will be a wash.  Just wondering how the system works now fror Regent.  The rebate approach is new to us as we haven't  sailed with Regent for a long time and done mostly Oceania recently.  Our TA is usually on the ball and plugs in any group benies and promotions, so we're good.

Thanks for the input from all of you.  Plan is now to take a small portion of our "incentive to book" as OBC and the rest as a check after the cruise.

Based on the discussion above I had 2 concerns:

1.     The refundable OBC might be miscoded(not correctly noted in our ship's account as refundable) and at the end of the cruise there would be a hassle(with a 15 hour time difference to work around) to actually get it corrected and paid.

2.     I did not want be travelling home with $1000's in my wallet

On 8/17/2019 at 8:39 AM, 1985rz1 said:

Thanks for the clarifications.

It isn't an issue.  In the end it will be a wash.  Just wondering how the system works now fror Regent.  The rebate approach is new to us as we haven't  sailed with Regent for a long time and done mostly Oceania recently.  Our TA is usually on the ball and plugs in any group benies and promotions, so we're good.

Your TA may have lots of "beanies and promotions" but do they regularly book Regent cruises?  Luxury TA's either send you a check before or after your cruise.  There is nothing for you to do.  However, if they give you OBC's, they are generally non-refundable so you need to find ways to use them (using them to book Regent Choice excursions is one great way to use OBC's).

Saildude16 -   We have never had our OBC's miscoded, however, if they ever were, we would simply call or email our TA from the ship and have them straighten it out with Regent.  It would be an easy problem to fix.

If you are receiving "thousands" of dollars in OBC's, you must have an amazing TA.  Our experience has been that Regent refunds OBC's in cash but we are not talking about thousands of dollars.

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Your TA may have lots of "beanies and promotions" but do they regularly book Regent cruises?  Luxury TA's either send you a check before or after your cruise.  There is nothing for you to do.  However, if they give you OBC's, they are generally non-refundable so you need to find ways to use them (using them to book Regent Choice excursions is one great way to use OBC's).

Saildude16 -   We have never had our OBC's miscoded, however, if they ever were, we would simply call or email our TA from the ship and have them straighten it out with Regent.  It would be an easy problem to fix.

If you are receiving "thousands" of dollars in OBC's, you must have an amazing TA.  Our experience has been that Regent refunds OBC's in cash but we are not talking about thousands of dollars.

Our TA does book Regent regularly, but is a Member of Oceania Cruises' Connoisseur Club, the cruise line we have used most often and we've been really pleased with the extras (OBC and PPG,).  The OBC on the Regent booking is from the TA (not Regent...we don't have any significant status) and is in the few hundred range, not thousands (I wish 😆), but we are also getting a rebate check post cruise.

Edited by 1985rz1