internet package

Action Dave

I have never had much luck with internet packages...Is there any reason it would be different on the Norwegian Joy..sailing to Alaska from Seattle?

Most often i have been disappointed with slow and intermittent and felt it was a waste of money. 

5 minutes ago, Action Dave said:

I have never had much luck with internet packages...Is there any reason it would be different on the Norwegian Joy..sailing to Alaska from Seattle?

Most often i have been disappointed with slow and intermittent and felt it was a waste of money. 

It is satellite internet with inherent latency of every bit traveling 23,000 miles to the satellite and 23,000 miles back. Consider if you shared your home Internet with 4500 other people and 1600 crew and ship’s operations. 

Save me your money if you’re expecting Fios on the ship. You will be disappointed. 

Ditto BirdTravels comments.  Shipboard WiFi is MUCH better than it was years ago but it still has a LONG ways to go.  Also since you're sharing the SATCOM link with ship's services (HiDef TV, ship's data, etc.) guess which services gets priority BW?  Not your Wifi!!

IMO both comments above are incorrect. Shipboard Internet is slower than at home, but it is certainly fast enough for surfing the web, email, playing short videos, etc. at least on the newer NCL ships.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

IMO both comments above are incorrect. Shipboard Internet is slower than at home, but it is certainly fast enough for surfing the web, email, playing short videos, etc. at least on the newer NCL ships.

The OP specifically stated that they would be disappointed if it was "slow and intermittent". NCL WiFi is "slow and intermittent". In response to that comment, I said to save their money and not to pay for shipboard wifi. 

We always sail with an unlimited premium internet package so that we can do wifi calls home. If you looked at my live post from the Joy, it was taking 1-5 minutes per photo to post to that thread. The worst wifi bandwidth that I have seen in a while. I would queue up a few photos to post, then go off and do something else and come back in 15 minutes. And yes, I understand physical blockages from the terrain and the [very] low look angle to satellite putting a lot of atmosphere between me and the satellite (along with more opportunities for shipboard blockages, even using dual dishes). 

We are sailing on the Getaway for a Baltic cruise next month, is the premium worth the extra money? Would it be a higher speed than the regular, or is it just that allows streaming access?

On 8/21/2019 at 11:44 PM, BirdTravels said:

We always sail with an unlimited premium internet package so that we can do wifi calls home. If you looked at my live post from the Joy, it was taking 1-5 minutes per photo to post to that thread. The worst wifi bandwidth that I have seen in a while. I would queue up a few photos to post, then go off and do something else and come back in 15 minutes. And yes, I understand physical blockages from the terrain and the [very] low look angle to satellite putting a lot of atmosphere between me and the satellite (along with more opportunities for shipboard blockages, even using dual dishes). 

Bird, in the past, you were able to get credit for your Platinum 30 minute perk. Is that still available?

8 hours ago, Falckon said:

Bird, in the past, you were able to get credit for your Platinum 30 minute perk. Is that still available?

Most internet managers will give you credit for either your latitude minutes or the free at sea minutes. (That is what is offered as a self serve upgrade).

Since the Take All offer has been running, I have just got the $125 credit for the 250 free at sea minutes. It has been a while since I got an internet manager to credit both latitudes and free at sea. 

The OP specifically asked about the Joy and the Wi-Fi service on the Joy a couple of weeks ago was miserable. 

Edited by BirdTravels