Port of San Diego

Nymich

We are in the early stages of planning a cruise out of San Diego for late 2020.   I have been there once and found it to be an amazing place!

Hotels near the port that you have stayed at or know about where everything is in walking distance for dinner etc...….

We don't mind a short ride to the port when we check out..   Thanks

5 hours ago, Nymich said:

We are in the early stages of planning a cruise out of San Diego for late 2020.   I have been there once and found it to be an amazing place!

Hotels near the port that you have stayed at or know about where everything is in walking distance for dinner etc...….

We don't mind a short ride to the port when we check out..   Thanks

Can you state what your nightly budget is? And more specific on when? There are events that happen in late December on the bay front that might make it more or less desirable.

We visit SD at least 3-4 times a year.  There is a wealth of hotels near the port.  We also like the Embassy Suites but prefer to stay in the Gaslamp.  It's mostly about how much you want to spend.  Hilton Gaslamp is our "go to" hotel when we stay.  The Andaz is a fun place to stay with a great roof top pool/bar.  Check the www site for some very unusual rooms, to say the least.  The Marriott and Hyatt are very nice, we haven't stayed there.  The Hilton Bay Front is great also.    

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you look down the board, there are many threads about hotels in San Diego. There about 6 within 5 or 6 blocks, so you have your choice in terms of brand and access. We prefer the Embassy Suites.

Thanks

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Can you state what your nightly budget is? And more specific on when? There are events that happen in late December on the bay front that might make it more or less desirable.

Mid November 150-300 a night

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We visit SD at least 3-4 times a year.  There is a wealth of hotels near the port.  We also like the Embassy Suites but prefer to stay in the Gaslamp.  It's mostly about how much you want to spend.  Hilton Gaslamp is our "go to" hotel when we stay.  The Andaz is a fun place to stay with a great roof top pool/bar.  Check the www site for some very unusual rooms, to say the least.  The Marriott and Hyatt are very nice, we haven't stayed there.  The Hilton Bay Front is great also.    

Good info that I can look up.   Which are the ones right at the port?

3 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Good info that I can look up.   Which are the ones right at the port?

Of the ones he mentions, Embassy Suites is closest to the port...about 5 blocks. Again, some reading around the board would find a number that are very close.

Or you could look at Google Maps.

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Of the ones he mentions, Embassy Suites is closest to the port...about 5 blocks. Again, some reading around the board would find a number that are very close.

Or you could look at Google Maps.

Dude I appreciate the responses.  If I found things on the board I would not be asking here.  Thanks for mentioning the fact that Embassy Suites is about five blocks away.  I am looking for first hand accounts not sifting through old outdated posts.  Thanks again

Just now, Nymich said:

Dude I appreciate the responses.  If I found things on the board I would not be asking here.  Thanks for mentioning the fact that Embassy Suites is about five blocks away.  I am looking for first hand accounts not sifting through old outdated posts.  Thanks again

The hotels don't move. The posts are not outdated. They are very current.

I'm Hilton brand loyal so my choice close to the pier would be the Embassy Suites.  It's not what I would call five blocks as there really aren't any blocks.  Just cross the street and walk down the waterfront.  Google Earth will give you a good feel.  ES has all the normal benefits like a hot cook to order breakfast and cocktails in the evening.  Easy walking distance to some nice places to eat.  Across the street is the Station area.  Seasons 52, Cheese Cake (granted chains but decent food) and  Eddie V's (very good).  If you want to go on the cheap there's G Street deli right out the back door of ES with great deli sandwiches and good selection of beers and wines.    Directly in the hotel is New York West which is decent food.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I'm Hilton brand loyal so my choice close to the pier would be the Embassy Suites.  It's not what I would call five blocks as there really aren't any blocks.  Just cross the street and walk down the waterfront.  Google Earth will give you a good feel.  ES has all the normal benefits like a hot cook to order breakfast and cocktails in the evening.  Easy walking distance to some nice places to eat.  Across the street is the Station area.  Seasons 52, Cheese Cake (granted chains but decent food) and  Eddie V's (very good).  If you want to go on the cheap there's G Street deli right out the back door of ES with great deli sandwiches and good selection of beers and wines.    Directly in the hotel is New York West which is decent food.  

Excellent info I appreciate that.  I was at a convention years ago that might have been there.  We were staying downtown I think at the Marriott and we walked across these beautiful grass courtyards with walkways to a hotel where the convention was down by the water.  I remember the navy ship museum was pretty close to this hotel.  Its been 15 years so it's kind of blurry lol

7 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Be aware that hotel prices in San Diego can fluctuate greatly even from day to day in the same hotel depending on the dates and what events are happening in the area. 

Yep pretty similar here in South Florida.  Thanks

I can't imagine anyone actually liking staying in the Gaslamp Quarter, especially when they could be on/near the water, but that is my bias. Maybe if I was a 30 year old Carnival Cruise type I'd like the GQ better.

My preference would be to stay across the bay at the Marriott Coronado. Coronado is quieter and very walkable.

Downtown the Hilton Bayfront is a good choice, so are the Homewood Suites Bayside and Hilton Garden Inn Bayside if you like the Hilton brand, but I'd prefer the Residence Inn Bayfront and SpringHill Suites Bayfront, directly across from the cruise terminal. I'd also prefer the Hotel Intercontinental San Diego to any of the Hilton brands.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I can't imagine anyone actually liking staying in the Gaslamp Quarter, especially when they could be on/near the water, but that is my bias. Maybe if I was a 30 year old Carnival Cruise type I'd like the GQ better.

My preference would be to stay across the bay at the Marriott Coronado. Coronado is quieter and very walkable.

Downtown the Hilton Bayfront is a good choice, so are the Homewood Suites Bayside and Hilton Garden Inn Bayside if you like the Hilton brand, but I'd prefer the Residence Inn Bayfront and SpringHill Suites Bayfront, directly across from the cruise terminal. I'd also prefer the Hotel Intercontinental San Diego to any of the Hilton brands.

Thanks awesome info!

I am looking for similar information, But I would like a hotel that includes a  airport shuttle and cruise port shuttle.  Breakfast would be great too!

It seems thought that some of the aforementioned hotels are so close, one could walk?  Is it safe to walk?

1 hour ago, MoyCoy said:

It seems thought that some of the aforementioned hotels are so close, one could walk?  Is it safe to walk?

The entire waterfront walk is very safe. It's a convention area, containing many upscale hotels, as well as a downtown Major League ballpark and trolley line. It is full of tourists and is patrolled by Harbor Police, City Police and Transit Police.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MoyCoy said:

I am looking for similar information, But I would like a hotel that includes a  airport shuttle and cruise port shuttle.  Breakfast would be great too!

There are very few hotels that have an airport shuttle, even fewer have a port shuttle.

The Best Western Plus Bayside Inn has an airport shuttle and would probably be willing to take you to the cruise port too. The hotel is half a mile from the cruise port and 2 miles from the airport. Both the airport and cruise port are on Harbor Drive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MoyCoy said:

Thank you. Its over 300 a night. Yikes. Is that normal.  I'm sailing in Dec . 12/14 to be exact. 

The resort/convention hotels downtown are all very expensive, especially if there is some convention or activity going on. 12/14 is a weekend right before Christmas. It’s one of the weekends for the annual San Diego Bay Parade of Lights, an annual event where local boat owners decorate their boats and sail the bay at night. It’s quite the scene.

https://sdparadeoflights.org/

Thank you. I will check out Great Western.

Boy , that might be why I am seeing crazy prices. So are these boats shown in the marina,  bayside area? If we wanted to actually be able to walk to this event. Which hotel would be recommended,  other than embassy suites.