NORWEGIAN TIP DISCREPANCY

mikkydee

Just curious who has taken a cruise on the rerouted Norwegian Sun (rerouted from original Cuba itinerary to other ports)? The original cruise to Cuba was all inclusive. I booked a Sept. rerouted cruise going to the bahamas. Charge for tips is $20.50 per day for the ocean view cabin. Norwegian website and everything I could find on the internet said $14.95 per day. I did call Norwegian and after about 20 minutes on hold I was told that they determined it was a mistake and they would have it fixed in a couple of days. I am just wondering how many people have been over charged for tips on their cruise since the rerouting occurred?

Edited by mikkydee
clarity

How much are the service charges?

For bookings made prior to April 1st, 2019, that prepay their service charges before their sail date:

For all ships excluding Norwegian Sky All-Inclusive and Norwegian Sun All-Inclusive

• $17.50 USD per person per day for The Haven, Concierge and Suites;
    • $14.50 USD per person per day for all other stateroom types
  • Norwegian Sky All-Inclusive and Norwegian Sun All-Inclusive
    • $23 USD per person per day for Suites;
    • $20 USD per person per day for all other stateroom types

For bookings made on or after April 1, 2019 or for sailings April 1, 2019 and beyond whose service charges have not been prepaid:

For all ships excluding Norwegian Sky All-Inclusive and Norwegian Sun All-Inclusive

• $18 USD per person per day for The Haven, Concierge and Suites
    • $15 USD per person per day for all other stateroom types
  • Norwegian Sky All-Inclusive and Norwegian Sun All-Inclusive
    • $23.50 USD per person per day for Suites
    • $20.50 USD per person per day for all other stateroom types

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-is-onboard-service-charge

Edited by NLH Arizona

1 hour ago, mikkydee said:

I am curious how many people that have already taken their cruise have overpaid because of the mistake by Norwegian

What mistake?  The info in post #2 clearly indicates that the all-inclusive Sun and Sky sailings had a different DSC than other sailings.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, hallux said:

What mistake?  The info in post #2 clearly indicates that the all-inclusive Sun and Sky sailings had a different DSC than other sailings.

The mistake is that, starting in a week or two, the Sun is no longer all inclusive. Yet, apparently the OP (and maybe others?) who pre-paid the DSC are being charged the higher fee.

• Like 1

It is not currently being sold as an all inclusive trip. Packages must be purchased separately like I did. When you go to prepay the gratuities it charges you the all inclusive price $20.50 per day not $14.95 per day. You already are charged to pay for with the additional service fees (drink package, etc) separately when you pay for the cruise. For those that purchased it as a cuba cruise prior to June 5th could have purchased it all inclusive. But all cuban cruises were cancelled after that point and some cruise lines offered a 50% discount or refund of pre purchased fares. Tip rate should have been adjusted after june 5th.

Edited by mikkydee

The all inclusive hasn't been dropped on the ship yet. I believe it doesn't go away until Sept something. As I booked & sailed in August and it was still all inclusive. 

I'm guessing no one has switched over the code for prepaying yet. They should have though. 

12 hours ago, teresaandvince said:

I just checked mine going on Sky end of September. Was not all inclusive when I booked. I added drink package as perk. I was charged 20.50. Is this correct or should it have been $14.95?

You were overcharged and need to call customer service about it.

2 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

If it was purchased as all inclusive, it will stay all inclusive. Basically, you get converted to the beverage package, but do not pay the extra gratuity for the package.

This was the point I was trying to make.

13 hours ago, smplybcause said:

The all inclusive hasn't been dropped on the ship yet. I believe it doesn't go away until Sept something. As I booked & sailed in August and it was still all inclusive. 

I'm guessing no one has switched over the code for prepaying yet. They should have though. 

Where are you seeing this cruise as all-inclusive? I purchased the oceanview yesterday for Sept. 9th 2019 and it was not.

58 minutes ago, mikkydee said:

Where are you seeing this cruise as all-inclusive? I purchased the oceanview yesterday for Sept. 9th 2019 and it was not.

Because the all inclusive is dropped as of September 1st (?) for all sailings purchased after a date in early July. For those of us that purchased before early July, we still get open bar (now converted to the drink package for all cabin occupants). Our cruise isn’t until March 2020.

1 hour ago, FLcruisergrl said:

Because the all inclusive is dropped as of September 1st (?) for all sailings purchased after a date in early July. For those of us that purchased before early July, we still get open bar (now converted to the drink package for all cabin occupants). Our cruise isn’t until March 2020.

I am also going in March 2020. Can you tell me the difference between 'open bar ' (the original) and having the 'drink package ' (which is what are switched to)?

7 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

I am also going in March 2020. Can you tell me the difference between 'open bar ' (the original) and having the 'drink package ' (which is what are switched to)?

Nothing, other than they’ll ask you for your card. On the open bar cruises, everyone has it, so they never ask for your card. Because it will now be a “drink package” cruise, they’ll scan your card because not everyone has the drink pkg.