Edge Verandas

shofer

DH & I are looking for a Mediterranean cruise on Edge or Apex in 2021.   We don't like the look of the Infinite Veranda arrangement.  Are all the verandas like this or do they still have some "regular" balcony cabins?   What do most cruisers think of this arrangement?  

Opinions of the infinite verandah are all over the place.  Some love them, others disparage them.  To many they are just Oceanview rooms with windows that open.

you’ll go dizzy reading all the reviews of the infinite verandahs

there are a few traditional balconies.  Some are small balconies set in the hull, located far forward and far aft.  The other traditional balconies are the Sunset Verandahs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Edge in May and had an infinite verandah for our 10 day cruise.  I enjoyed the extra "room" space that the IV gives you by having the space usually outside (balcony) inside so you get to use it more.  Opening the window made it seem like the whole room was a part of the outside.  I would suggest that you make sure you get the bed placement where you want it.  If you like having the bed near the bathroom, you get a large, continuous sitting area.  If you have the bed near the IV, you have a cut up sitting area (one before the bed, one after the bed), but you are closer to the outside if you want to lay in bed and see outside.  I know you asked about traditional balconies, but since that was answered above by cruisestitch, I just thought I would share my opinion about the IV.  My attitude is:  there is no bad cabin, someone else will clean it, someone else will cook for me, and there are a lot of people wanting to entertain me.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the feedback.  I did find one posting on this forum that itemized all the cabins plus pros/cons.    If we do the Med, it will be about the itinerary first.  Our last cruise in November was a TA on Silhouette which we loved.  Next one is on Symphony to try out the biggest ship.  Both were booked with verandas.  

I would be happy with the Solstice class vessel but DH wants to try Edge/Apex.  We'll see what happens when the 2021 itineraries are released.

4 minutes ago, shofer said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I did find one posting on this forum that itemized all the cabins plus pros/cons.    If we do the Med, it will be about the itinerary first.  Our last cruise in November was a TA on Silhouette which we loved.  Next one is on Symphony to try out the biggest ship.  Both were booked with verandas.  

I would be happy with the Solstice class vessel but DH wants to try Edge/Apex.  We'll see what happens when the 2021 itineraries are released.

We have sailed twice on the Edge and are booked on the Apex for 2020.

You would probably be very happy in a Sunset Verandah on the aft of either ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

We have sailed twice on the Edge and are booked on the Apex for 2020.

You would probably be very happy in a Sunset Verandah on the aft of either ship.

We had a sunset verandah on the Edge.  Really liked it and from what I saw of the IV, I would not book it.  However, there are no stairways or elevators nearer the aft so it is a very long walk back to the cabin.  One caveat:  Don't go out on the balcony barefoot when the sun is shining on the floor mat.  I did and almost had first degree burns as it was so hot!

Go for a aft verandah on the Edge.  We had an infinite veranda- didn't like it and were fortunate enough to upgrade once on board to a sky suite- what a difference.  We are booked again on the Edge in March in a sky suite.  The infinite veranda's are IMO windowed cabins with windows that open-sometimes.  They are also narrow.

The aft verandah's are "real" balconies.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

11 hours ago, montekat said:

We had a sunset verandah on the Edge.  Really liked it and from what I saw of the IV, I would not book it.  However, there are no stairways or elevators nearer the aft so it is a very long walk back to the cabin.  One caveat:  Don't go out on the balcony barefoot when the sun is shining on the floor mat.  I did and almost had first degree burns as it was so hot!

What kind of furniture did you have on your balcony?

Just two small chairs and a table or were you able to get a lounger (or two) and/or a footstool?

2 hours ago, mafig said:

Just two small chairs and a table or were you able to get a lounger (or two) and/or a footstool?

Just two small chairs and a small table.  A lounger and/or footstool would have been nice.

4 hours ago, mafig said:

Someone just off the Edge reported having a lounger on her SV balcony and saw that most other SV's had loungers. I plan to ask for one, if they are not there. There is plenty of room on most of the SV balconies.

See #3 in first post in thread below: 🙂

Edited by vtcruising