Laundry services

Petoonya

Hello 🙂

New to NCL so it's all new to me!

Does NCL charge by the piece of laundry or do they have specials on a bag of laundry as some lines I've been on.

If it's by the piece can you give me some idea of the cost? Like a T-shirt, jeans etc? Taking grandkids to Alaska

and they go through a lot of clothing 🙂

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Petoonya

38 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Hello 🙂

Does NCL charge by the piece of laundry or do they have specials on a bag of laundry as some lines I've been on.

If it's by the piece can you give me some idea of the cost? Like a T-shirt, jeans etc? Taking grandkids to Alaska

Thanks for your help.

Are you all in one shoe ah er I mean one cabin ? -

The cabin laundry deal is one per cabin $19.95

with two cabins you should cover just about any

possible number of clothing wardrobe changes.

1 hour ago, valleyvillage said:

82522d5ededfa85b39aebc7d6a98ece2.jpg

This is about 3 years old, but will give you an idea. There is an all you can stuff in the bag special about mid-week for @ 20.00

Thanks so much. I think one bag of laundry should do it for them and that's a great price.

25 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Are you all in one shoe ah er I mean one cabin ? -

The cabin laundry deal is one per cabin $19.95

with two cabins you should cover just about any

possible number of clothing wardrobe changes.

And yes, we are all planning to be in one cabin. Crazy huh? 135sq feet of lol!

Thanks for the help.

The price list from May 28th, 2019 on the Getaway.  Prices look the same.  Also included the notification for the 19.95 laundry special.  The bags ripped but another cruise suggested getting an extra pillowcase from your steward to stuff more inside, so I will pass that advice on to you.

20190528_223946 (3).jpg

Edited by bssc

Thanks soooooo much everyone. Really helps plan. My grandkid's mum isn't going on the cruise but she will OVER pack for them, and this will give her a reason to maybe go light. The boys are 9 and 11 and I think a heavy and light jacket, some long sleeve shirts, few pairs of jeans, some nice slacks, a few nicer shirts and they should be fine for a May Alaska cruise. I'll bring some rain ponchos along.

When the kids visit me for 3-4 days she'll send 8 prs underwear, 4 prs jeans...etc. I love her but either she thinks they'll get intestinal flu or my washing machine will break. She goes to Hawaii for a week and brings 3 large suitcases for 2 adults, 2 kids. When we go we bring a carry-on for clothes and a snorkel bag for all our snorkel gear!

37 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

My grandkid's mum isn't going on the cruise but she will OVER pack for them, and this will give her a reason to maybe go light. The boys are 9 and 11.... 

This will start a whole different path but if both parents are not travelling with the kids make sure you have parental consent paperwork filled out, notarized and submitted......  also, health care proxies in the event of an emergency......  some will say it's not required and others will say it was absolutely required but there's no reason to take that chance. 

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

boys are 9 and 11 and I think a heavy and light jacket, some long sleeve shirts, few pairs of jeans, some nice slacks, a few nicer shirts and they should be fine for a May Alaska cruise. I'll bring some rain ponchos along.

This year I had a lightweight down jacket I packed into a gallon size ziolock bag, I never wore it.  I had long sleeved t-shirts and wore a cardigan and if it was windy I had a very thin water resistant windbreaker.  This was Alaska over Memorial Day week.  I had a dollar store poncho that still is in the packaging, so don't worry about the heavy  jacket just layer them up with a fleece. 

Edited by Sauer-kraut

1 hour ago, esm54687 said:

This will start a whole different path but if both parents are not travelling with the kids make sure you have parental consent paperwork filled out, notarized and submitted......  also, health care proxies in the event of an emergency......  some will say it's not required and others will say it was absolutely required but there's no reason to take that chance. 

OMG, thank you telling me. I don't know if I would have thought of it although realized in the back of my mind it's a necessity. Thank you- I won't forget now and not back the boat. Any clue as to where I might find the forms? OK to use what I can find online or is there an official form?

29 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

This year I had a lightweight down jacket I packed into a gallon size ziolock bag, I never wore it.  I had long sleeved t-shirts and wore a cardigan and if it was windy I had a very thin water resistant windbreaker.  This was Alaska over Memorial Day week.  I had a dollar store poncho that still is in the packaging, so don't worry about the heavy  jacket just layer them up with a fleece. 

Thank you for the word about the heat. I live in the Pacific Northwest right on the cold ocean. The temp is usually exactly 55*- ocean keeps it that way. But we set a record for hot days this summer. Really feeling the effects of global warming aren't we?

I read someone say on the Alaska board, "just bring a sports bra and shorts to Alaska."

Thanks for the word about heavy jackets. We'll watch the weather before we leave . My husband is a freezer. When we walk on the beach people say he looks like Nanook of the North! No way I'll talk him out of his parka and Frankenstein boots.

Guess it might even be possible we'd need swimsuits. Will be watching the weather closely the week before.

Thank you! 🙂

Pack in layers of clothing - last layer being a moisture waterproof slicker hoodie whatever.

Unless you are going on a helicopter excursion landing on a glacier forget parkas and eskimo gear.

Even then the tour operator will provide you with the basics.

Forget the thermal boots (the airlines will charge you excess overweight charges or piece count).

Global warming trends have caused the temps in Alaska to be 10-15 degrees higher than usual.

Really all this overkill - pack a suitcase of polar ice gear for a 2 hour excursion exposure - really ?

You really want to consider the outer layer being wind and rain proof and that should do it unless

you are from the Amazon (no not the online store - the jungle where the forests are being burned).

This is not the Lindblad Polar exposition excursion -  heck at Anchorage you are over several

hundred miles from the Arctic circle.

And all that clothing will make it challenge to use the bag laundry deal.

46 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Pack in layers of clothing - last layer being a moisture waterproof slicker hoodie whatever.

Unless you are going on a helicopter excursion landing on a glacier forget parkas and eskimo gear.

Even then the tour operator will provide you with the basics.

Forget the thermal boots (the airlines will charge you excess overweight charges or piece count).

Global warming trends have caused the temps in Alaska to be 10-15 degrees higher than usual.

Really all this overkill - pack a suitcase of polar ice gear for a 2 hour excursion exposure - really ?

You really want to consider the outer layer being wind and rain proof and that should do it unless

you are from the Amazon (no not the online store - the jungle where the forests are being burned).

This is not the Lindblad Polar exposition excursion -  heck at Anchorage you are over several

hundred miles from the Arctic circle.

And all that clothing will make it challenge to use the bag laundry deal.

Thanks so much for all that info!

But some interesting info for you. Have been on twelve Alaska cruises and every one been in May. We have even had a few days of moderate snow and a few cruises I really could have used my parka with the cold and wind. But didn't have it.

My DH has a disease which makes him always feel extremely cold. So when it's 60* he wears his boots and parka! To the gym. To the grocery store. And my DIL will insist on sending the kids with parkas- she's already talked about it and won't be swayed. Yes she is overkill on everything but I still love her.

As I say I live right on the ocean in Oregon, and our climate and year round temps are identical to Juneau's.

I myself am very used to layering!!! We practically invented it here on the Oregon coast with our wind, cool, and very wet weather.

Thanks. 🙂

Edited by Petoonya

5 hours ago, Petoonya said:

OMG, thank you telling me. I don't know if I would have thought of it although realized in the back of my mind it's a necessity. Thank you- I won't forget now and not back the boat. Any clue as to where I might find the forms? OK to use what I can find online or is there an official form?

Thank you for the word about the heat. I live in the Pacific Northwest right on the cold ocean. The temp is usually exactly 55*- ocean keeps it that way. But we set a record for hot days this summer. Really feeling the effects of global warming aren't we?

I read someone say on the Alaska board, "just bring a sports bra and shorts to Alaska."

Thanks for the word about heavy jackets. We'll watch the weather before we leave . My husband is a freezer. When we walk on the beach people say he looks like Nanook of the North! No way I'll talk him out of his parka and Frankenstein boots.

Guess it might even be possible we'd need swimsuits. Will be watching the weather closely the week before.

Thank you! 🙂

You can find the parental consent form here: https://www.ncl.com/downloads/docs

15 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Hello 🙂

Thanks for your help.

Normally about 1/2 way through the cruise there will be a special on a bag. It used to be $20 but I am not sure how much it is now. You can also do it by piece, but that can add up fast. I have always thought their "by piece" is very pricey I did notice you mentioned bringing swim suits: of course they do not take up room and most likely would never need to be laundered but also it is pretty unlikely the boys would need them. Between the weather and the port intensive itinerary you will, as a rule see very few using the pool.

1 hour ago, esm54687 said:

You can find the parental consent form here: https://www.ncl.com/downloads/docs

Thanks so much for that and for pointing it out in the first place.

From what I've read a health care proxy isn't really required until a child is 18 years since they've not reached the age of consent. What do you think?

Edited by Petoonya

2 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

From what I've read a health care proxy isn't really required until a child is 18 years. What do you think?

Maybe the word "proxy" isn't the absolute correct term but I always gave friends, relatives, etc a medical permission form that gave them the right to make medical decisions for my children on my behalf if I wasn't available for consultation.  I would never want my child's safety delayed even for a minute because a hospital admissions professional didn't have permission from a legal guardian..... this isn't just for the ship but if something happens shoreside in Alaska then it can be accepted at a clinic or ER.

Who would the doctor listen to? You or the local bartender...... both of you have the same rights to direct medical care..... neither one of you are the legal guardian thus have no legal rights to make medical decisions...... just because they are travelling with you doesn't give you any rights.

Thankfully, my permission forms were never required but it gave everyone peace of mind if it was. 

Thanks so much. A health care proxy in my state is also known as a medical power of attorney which might or might not be necessary. I found a child travel medical consent at a few online legal websites that needs to be notarized. May give our attorney a buzz and get some advice about the actual form mandated for health care consent.

Thanks once again for your help.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

From what I've read a health care proxy isn't really required until a child is 18 years since they've not reached the age of consent. What do you think?

Once they are 18 you don’t need the form, but my parents always had one when watching the grandkids in case they got sick or injured, and definitely used them. 

ETA they were just notarized forms giving permission to make medical decisions, not POA’s.

Edited by mjkacmom

10 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Once they are 18 you don’t need the form, but my parents always had one when watching the grandkids in case they got sick or injured, and definitely used them. 

ETA they were just notarized forms giving permission to make medical decisions, not POA’s.

Thanks oh so much. I did call our lawyer and she said exactly what you are saying. Just find something online and have notarized.

Thanks so much everyone. I am so grateful to esm54687. I can just feel the pain if we were denied boarding in Seattle for my stupidity.

Nancy