O's hairdryers - on/off switch?

clo

(Talk about a first-world question!) I have a real hatred for hairdryers where you have to keep your finger on the switch or it turns off.  It seems so many hotels have this.  To the point I carry mine just in case.  Do the O ones have a real on/off switch?  Thanks (with head hanging in embarrassment for even asking)

The hair dryers I have used on Oceania have all had switches that you do not need to hold down to use.  (10 cruises.)   But.......on the Sirena last year the hair dryer was so weak that it was unusable.  I asked for a new one, but it was the same.  I bought a European hair dryer in Malta.  Perhaps if you post the name of the ship you will be on someone onboard may be able to give you an up-to-date answer.

• Like 1

I was wondering about the strength of the hair dryers. I have thick hair and tend to bring my own dryer, but would love to leave it home if the hair dryers are good on the ship.

We will be on the Marina. 

Edited by schmerl

17 minutes ago, Twiga said:

The hair dryers I have used on Oceania have all had switches that you do not need to hold down to use.  (10 cruises.)   But.......on the Sirena last year the hair dryer was so weak that it was unusable.  I asked for a new one, but it was the same.  I bought a European hair dryer in Malta.  Perhaps if you post the name of the ship you will be on someone onboard may be able to give you an up-to-date answer.

Oh yikes.  My hair is by no means thick but still.  We'll be on the Marina.  It's not a big deal but anything I don't have to bring is good.  Thanks.

27 minutes ago, schmerl said:

I was wondering about the strength of the hair dryers. I have thick hair and tend to bring my own dryer, but would love to leave it home if the hair dryers are good on the ship.

We will be on the Marina. 

I have very porous hair  so it takes a long time to dry 

The dryers worked fine for me

Now I have short hair so I do not bother  with the dryer

From age 20 to about 45 I had very long, thick wavy hair.  Even Ren's hairdryers worked for me.  No, I never had to hold down the button to keep it working.

Nowadays my hair short and not so thick although still wavy.  Like Lyn, I really don't need to use the hairdryer BUT -- if I haven't had a recent haircut, then I will use the hairdryer for maybe 3-4 minutes.  I just can't tolerate drying my hair for longer is all.  I dry it until it's a little damp then run my fingers through ... cheaper than a visit to the beauty parlor!

Mura

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I have very porous hair  so it takes a long time to dry 

The dryers worked fine for me

Now I have short hair so I do not bother  with the dryer

But wait, wait 🙂  Is there an on/off switch????  🙂

13 minutes ago, Mura said:

Of course.  You just don't need to hold it down in order to keep the dryer operating.

Is that clear?

Oh whew yes 🙂   I know that sounds silly but it has annoyed me a lot.  I don't have strong hands so I'm sure that is part of the reason.  Thanks as always, Mura and you too @LHT28

• Thanks 1

I don't know if there's still a wall mounted hairdryer in the bathroom on the newly refurbished ships, but personally I don't find them much good as I need to affix a concentrator nozzle.

I have always used the ones provided in the bag in the wardrobe, although the one that I used last year on board Sirena was useless and didn't provide enough heat/power + no cool shot!  

Does anyone know if these have been replaced as part of the refurb?

Jxx

The hairdryer is in a bag in the wardrobe drawer.  It wasn't working properly as it didn't provide any heat so they brought me a different one.  It was better but not as good as the one I use at home. To the OP,  I've been trying to remember if you have to keep your finger on the button to keep the power on and, yes, I'm fairly certain that you do.  It's a bit awkward.  This was on Marina this year. Yes I know, it's a first-world problem and many people don't use it, but I depend on the hairdryer. It's not insufficient enough where I would take up space in my luggage to bring mine from home however. 

• Thanks 1

We were on the Marina in March. The hair dryer is in a bag in a drawer. I immediately moved it to the desk so I could use the drawer for clothes. The dryer has lots of heat and power, and has an on/off switch and temperature and speed control. It worked great. On a previous cruise the hair dryer burned out on me, I called housekeeping, and a brand new one was delivered to me in about 15 minutes. You should not need to bring your own hair dryer.

2 hours ago, Banti said:

We were on the Marina in March. The hair dryer is in a bag in a drawer. I immediately moved it to the desk so I could use the drawer for clothes. The dryer has lots of heat and power, and has an on/off switch and temperature and speed control. It worked great. On a previous cruise the hair dryer burned out on me, I called housekeeping, and a brand new one was delivered to me in about 15 minutes. You should not need to bring your own hair dryer.

YAY!!!!  And thank you.

• Like 1

I’m on Sirena now. Our last night. The hair dryer works very well. It actually gets very hot. And yes, it has an off & on button that you don’t have to hold down. (I never saw the kind you mentioned until we stayed at a hotel in Monte Carlo before this cruise.) 

• Thanks 1

I was on the Insignia in August and had no problems with the hair dryer.   It was in one of the wardrobe drawers and I moved it to one of the desk drawers for convenience. There was an “on & off” button, so no need to hold it down while drying your hair.  Also a temp control button.  

• Like 1