Booking a room for another couple.

Jeff13

We have some friends who are thinking about going with us in 2021.  They would be new to RC.

We are going on another cruise in Jan.  We know they give us better deals, like cash on board, if we book during a cruise.  We usually book our next cruise while on board.

Can we book a cabin for another couple and then somehow transfer that to their name so they can start their own Crown and Anchor membership?

I figure we would have to pay the down payment.   Not sure how the rest would work, if at all.  Maybe we can not get any kind of discount if they are going to be the ones actually using the room?  I am not sure what the options would be.  Any ideas?

7 minutes ago, Jeff13 said:

Can we book a cabin for another couple and then somehow transfer that to their name so they can start their own Crown and Anchor membership? ...

Do not book the stateroom in your name, book the stateroom in the correct name.

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Do not book the stateroom in your name, book the stateroom in the correct name.

That makes sense.  I assume we would still have to put the downpayment for them at the time of booking.  I guess I could trust them to pay me back.  ;-)

2 minutes ago, Jeff13 said:

That makes sense.  I assume we would still have to put the downpayment for them at the time of booking.  I guess I could trust them to pay me back.  😉

Yes, you will have to use a credit card to book the cruise.

If they would be going on the same cruise as you then you could book two rooms, one person from each couple in each room.  This would give you balcony discounts for both rooms.  Then switch people around either after final payment or onboard (one person in each cabin must stay on the booking).  Balcony discounts are not always worth much with other sales, though.

Prices will likely increase between now and January - onboard price then may be more than just booking now.  

3 minutes ago, barbarapga said:

This is coming from a senior.....

in 2 years you may not want to travel with them.. In 2 years they might not want to travel with each other.. Watch your $$ let them do their own planning.

^^^^This!!

Find a good travel agent with nice perks and sit down with your friends and the TA and hammer out a good deal. I GUARANTEE you can and will do better than booking on board. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

^^^^This!!

Find a good travel agent with nice perks and sit down with your friends and the TA and hammer out a good deal. I GUARANTEE you can and will do better than booking on board. 

How nice that you're personally going to "GUARANTEE" that they will.

4 hours ago, Jeff13 said:

I see a "book later" option.  Didn't know about that.  I like that idea.  We can go back and then talk about where they want to go.

Thanks for the link!

Jus a couple of notes about the book later option.

1. If you don’t apply a sail date to your booking within 2 months you lose the OBC 

2. If you don’t apply a sail date to your booking within 12 months your booking is canceled and your deposit is forfeited.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 5:07 PM, LeeW said:

If they would be going on the same cruise as you then you could book two rooms, one person from each couple in each room.  This would give you balcony discounts for both rooms.  Then switch people around either after final payment or onboard (one person in each cabin must stay on the booking).  Balcony discounts are not always worth much with other sales, though.

Prices will likely increase between now and January - onboard price then may be more than just booking now.  

That is pretty much what I wondered.  As a new cruiser, they can not be C&A members until they are booked already.  So, no balcony discount for them.  I also wonder if they are not members yet, then I wonder about the on board discount too.  Unless we put the rooms in our names.  Which, as is pointed out by others is a risk.  I get that.  Looking at better options so we don't get stuck with extra rooms!

I always wonder about price increases.  What we have seen over the past 7 years is that they do increase, but the discounts stay about the same.  We can almost always get the buy one get second person half off.  That has been around for the past year or more almost every time I look.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:22 PM, barbarapga said:

This is coming from a senior.....

in 2 years you may not want to travel with them.. In 2 years they might not want to travel with each other.. Watch your $$ let them do their own planning.

I understand what you are saying!  We have 3 other couples we hang around with a lot.  We travel as a group a lot camping already.  We are all stable life long married couples with at least 35 years of marriage each, yes to the same spouse.  ;-)  But ... I get what you are saying!

I have been trying to get the others to go on a cruise with us for like 4 years now.  They all said last year they were saving up for a 2021 cruise.  It is not 2 years out now.  It is only 15-16 months if we do January.  Although, our last discussion was more like April.  Either way, in my mind it is time to get serious and keep them thinking about it so they don't act surprised when I say put your money where your mouth is!

I have paid down for many camp sites and gotten tickets for events we go to as a group for many years.  They are all great about paying me back.  However, a couple thousand dollars is a different level.  That is why I would like to know all of my options and try to find one where they pay their own downpayment.  Yet, we need to book at the same time.  Getting rooms at least on the same floor and side would be best.  Next door would be perfect!

Now ... all of that said ... I have to admit ... there is one couple that has been known to back out after downpayments were made.  I want them to pay up front the most!  :-)

Maybe I can get cash from each couple and still use my card to book.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:26 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Hmmm.  I have looked into that, but the last 2 years a travel agent was the same price as regular online booking.  That extra on board cash has come out better each time.  Not that I refuse to believe you.  I just have not had the same experience.  Maybe I need to meet a better travel agent.  I know naming them is forbidden on this board, or so I read somewhere.  Not sure how to find a better one.

The advice to use a travel agent in this situation is probably the best way to go.   That will keep all the finance's separate.  You should be able to find enough benefits from one to get you close to your onboard booking.  And even if you can't if will isolate you from taking a financial hit if the other couple backs out.

• 2 weeks later...

We found a local travel agent.  Funny how it happened!  We are doing a group New Years Eve "brewpub road trip" party, and the people planning it also do cruises.  They only do groups though.  They agreed to do our group.  So we are booked as a group and got some decent discounts.  Only $50 OBC, but I think the rest of the deal will make that pretty close to if we wanted to book on board during our next cruise.