Recliner Rental

Danbee46

I just heard that some cruiselines allow rental recliners to be brought aboard.  I have a bad back and sleeping in a bed for any length of time is often problematic.  It would be a relief to have a recliner available.  Do any of you know anything about Celebrity's policy in this area?  We will be in a Sunset Verandah Stateroom on Equinox.  

---Dan

Edited by Danbee46

8 minutes ago, Danbee46 said:

I just heard that some cruiselines allow rental recliners to be brought aboard.  I have a bad back and sleeping in a bed for any length of time is often problematic.  It would be a relief to have a recliner available.  Do any of you know anything about Celebrity's policy in this area?  We will be in a Sunset Verandah Stateroom on Equinox.  

---Dan

My DH sleeps sitting up due to old injuries. We used Scootaround in July for a motorized recliner with great success on the Equinox. It was set up in the cabin when we got there and made the cruise for DH a great success. Special Needs at Sea also has them listed. We let Celebrity special needs dept know about the recliner set up before hand. Good luck. It will make all the difference in your cruise.

I've never heard of X having recliners to rent. My guess is that you would have to go through the Special Needs department. They may suggest a medical supply house that could rent one to you and deliver/pick up at the ship. Don't forget to check the dimensions of the chair- it has to fit through the cabin door.

Just now, mom says said:

I've never heard of X having recliners to rent. My guess is that you would have to go through the Special Needs department. They may suggest a medical supply house that could rent one to you and deliver/pick up at the ship. Don't forget to check the dimensions of the chair- it has to fit through the cabin door.

Scootaround brought the recliner in in sections and set it up in the cabin. No troubles.

Dan,

See the Cruise Critic article How to Rent a Scooter or Wheelchair for Your Cruise.

I know you are not interested in a scooter or wheelchair, but the article does have some good information about both Scootaround and Special Needs at Sea.

I have attached X's Guest Special Needs Form if you need it. Also, here is info from X you might like to have:

For more information contact our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice) or local number (954) 628-9708, fax (954) 628-9622, send an e-mail to special_needs@celebrity.com, or have your local Travel Agent or International Representative contact us.

Happy sails,

Kat 🐱

Celebrity-Guest-Special-Needs-Form.pdf

Edited by TxCityKat
additional info
  • Like 2

I also need a recliner/lift chair.  I have always rented from Special Needs At Sea. The chair is always in the room when I get there and they pick it up. The most recent charge was for our upcoming 15 day Hawaiian cruise from/to Los Angeles and it was $367.  We also get accessible rooms since I also use a wheelchair and need the roll in the shower.   I would call Special Needs At Sea as they are always very helpful.  They should know if your recliner will fit in a regular room. 

23 hours ago, mom says said:

I've never heard of X having recliners to rent.

X does not rent recliners.   You have to rent one through one of X's approved vendors (like Scootaround or Special Needs at Sea).   Check with X's Access Department (866) 592-7225 or send an e-mail to special-needs@celebrity.com    

Also ask them how wide the door is to your stateroom because your recliner will have to fit through  it.

Check prices from both vendors, but here is the information from Scootaround:

https://www.scootaround.com/mobility-rentals/equipment/medical-equipment-rentals

I contacted Scootaround, and she said that she thinks that a recliner fits in standard Celebrity cabins, but to check.  I'm going to call the cruiseline tomorrow, but was wondering where the chair would fit in a Concierge Class cabin.  Can't imagine it.  I don't really need an accessible cabin otherwise, and just hate tying one up.

16 hours ago, Pamster said:

I contacted Scootaround, and she said that she thinks that a recliner fits in standard Celebrity cabins, but to check.  I'm going to call the cruiseline tomorrow, but was wondering where the chair would fit in a Concierge Class cabin.  Can't imagine it.  I don't really need an accessible cabin otherwise, and just hate tying one up.

I believe it replaces one of the beds, as the reason stated for needing it is inability to sleep laying in a bed.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:10 PM, Pamster said:

And I contacted the cruiseline - was told to make the reservation for the recliner, and to contact special needs 30 days before the cruise and they would make arrangements to have one of the beds removed from the room to make space for the recliner.  

Thanks to everyone who provided information, email addresses, and links.  This is going to make a HUGE difference in my comfort on our upcoming cruise.  (Hubby may not be as comfortable in a single bed, though.) 

• Like 1

This topic is of interest to DH and I as DH also needs to sleep in a recliner due to back problems.  However, while we have an accessible room, there are 3 of us in it and we would want the chair to take the place of the sofa, not the bed.  I suppose I will call Celebrity and Scoot Around to get more details.  Thanks for this thread, did not even think about a recliner rental.

12 minutes ago, misha1 said:

This topic is of interest to DH and I as DH also needs to sleep in a recliner due to back problems.  However, while we have an accessible room, there are 3 of us in it and we would want the chair to take the place of the sofa, not the bed.  I suppose I will call Celebrity and Scoot Around to get more details.  Thanks for this thread, did not even think about a recliner rental.

Oooh, let me know what you find out.  I would prefer that, too.

From Scootaround, recliners are standard sized and they can deliver to any cruiseline as long as the customer has an ADA room.  If not in an ADA cabin then it is at the discretion of the cruisline.  Rental cost on a 7 day cruise is 175 dollars

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 9:38 AM, misha1 said:

From Scootaround, recliners are standard sized and they can deliver to any cruiseline as long as the customer has an ADA room.  If not in an ADA cabin then it is at the discretion of the cruisline.  Rental cost on a 7 day cruise is 175 dollars

I would hate to tie up an ADA room just for a recliner - since we have no other need for it.  I'm glad that Celebrity will do it.  I need to check with Princess to see if they will remove a bed (or couch) and put it in a standard room.