Cost of dinner package vs. buying individually

Petoonya

Regarding Teppanyaki: when we were on the Escape last March, our chef in Teppanyaki spent a lot of time joking/bantering with the diners. I'm not sure how comfortable a group that doesn't speak English would be in such a situation. While it is true that the chef puts on a show there is also interaction between him and the diners. 

4 hours ago, suometar said:

Regarding Teppanyaki: when we were on the Escape last March, our chef in Teppanyaki spent a lot of time joking/bantering with the diners. I'm not sure how comfortable a group that doesn't speak English would be in such a situation. While it is true that the chef puts on a show there is also interaction between him and the diners. 

Oh the relatives will all smile, be nice, nod and pretend like they understand 🙂  They'll be comfortable. They think the way Americans do things is weird, but that doesn't stop them from wanting to be just like Americans! Yeah, annoys me, but I've heard Europeans do the same thing, even those who'd still admit to wishing they could live here.

My son and his wife are both engaging souls and they will make things just right for everyone.

Edited by Petoonya

12 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks. Guess we'll appoint me or the other few English speaking persons to take care of reserving tables.

To be honest I would be wary of taking the lead on reserving for others!!  I am just off the Star and while waiting to be seated saw several people looking quite stressed at trying to seat 17 in O’Sheehans.  I heard them say that they had emailed about it.  

Speciality dining prices are outrageous unless you have a package.  I looked in to spending my non-refundable credit on a single meal.  We had $100 between the two of us.  I doubt that we would have covered it given the 20% added service charge.  I bought a Guess handbag instead!

But I wonder if Teppanyaki might be a good choice for one meal with a few of the family.  I know that the chefs interact, they are used to so many different nationalities these days.  At least it is visual so might be fun when you cannot speak the same language.  Maybe you can asked Daughter in Law to teach you how to say ‘delicious’ in Nepalese if you do sit to eat together.  Also ‘beautiful’ for when you are looking at the views.  

8 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Maybe you can asked Daughter in Law to teach you how to say ‘delicious’ in Nepalese if you do sit to eat together.  Also ‘beautiful’ for when you are looking at the views.  

My DIL speaks perfect English or she could not have gone to college and grad school here. She speaks better English better than I do! It's her family who are highly resistant to learning decent English. They can say a few words but no sentences.

We'll get by. Thanks.

• Like 1

At least it is visual so might be fun when you cannot speak the same language.  Maybe you can asked Daughter in Law to teach you how to say ‘delicious’ in Nepalese if you do sit to eat together.  Also ‘beautiful’ for when you are looking at the views.  

Thanks very much. I can speak enough Nepalese to get by myself. And the extended family appreciates it, but they just smile as they know I can't understand their response. With as many people as there will be I can't depend on my DIL to translate for me. It'll work- we can just smile too 🙂  We like a table for 2 when we cruise so if we can't speak to them smiling is good.

My husband just doesn't want to go at all. We're Oceania regulars and spending $10k just the month before on an O cruise. So this is a real hard sell for my husband. These kids didn't do a big American wedding 10 years ago, just a Hindu one in Nepal (we were the only American part of the family to attend in Kathmandu) The did a justice of the peace one here. This cruise is for their 10th anniversary and they plan to do a vow renewal. My son has two brothers who don't want to take their families on a cruise when they'd rather take their kids to Europe next summer. So sad that he has no one else but us to be there. SO I'M GOING EVEN IF MY HUSBAND DOESN'T!! lol. And maybe I'll learn more Nepalese 🙂

Thanks.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

I am just off the Star and while waiting to be seated saw several people looking quite stressed at trying to seat 17 in O’Sheehans.  I heard them say that they had emailed about it.  

An email regarding a restaurant that doesn't take reservations? I'm guessing it was during daylight hours - at 3am when we have a large group half the group helps them move tables together for one large table! But that's easy to do when it's empty then except those that just came from the club. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks very much. I can speak enough Nepalese to get by myself. And the extended family appreciates it, but they just smile as they know I can't understand their response. With as many people as there will be I can't depend on my DIL to translate for me. It'll work- we can just smile too 🙂  We like a table for 2 when we cruise so if we can't speak to them smiling is good.

My husband just doesn't want to go at all. We're Oceania regulars and spending $10k just the month before on an O cruise. So this is a real hard sell for my husband. These kids didn't do a big American wedding 10 years ago, just a Hindu one in Nepal (we were the only American part of the family to attend in Kathmandu) The did a justice of the peace one here. This cruise is for their 10th anniversary and they plan to do a vow renewal. My son has two brothers who don't want to take their families on a cruise when they'd rather take their kids to Europe next summer. So sad that he has no one else but us to be there. SO I'M GOING EVEN IF MY HUSBAND DOESN'T!! lol. And maybe I'll learn more Nepalese 🙂

Thanks.

Oh  now I really appreciate your dilemma.  

I moved to a new country and got married without extended family.  I was perfectly happy but my parents may well have felt cheated.  We are still married after 30 years.  

I hope that everyone has a good time on the cruise and that those who are not there enjoy seeing videos of the vowel renewal.    

3 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Oh  now I really appreciate your dilemma.  

I moved to a new country and got married without extended family.  I was perfectly happy but my parents may well have felt cheated.  We are still married after 30 years.  

I hope that everyone has a good time on the cruise and that those who are not there enjoy seeing videos of the vowel renewal.    

Thanks for your caring! I know you know!!!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 1:23 PM, 4774Papa said:

I did see the menus and it seemed to verify the new higher prices.   I can see paying in excess of $50 per meal per person, which is a significant increase.  NCL used to be know for its specialty restaurants having modest prices, not like Celebrity.  Now they are in line with Celebrity and if I remember higher than Royal.

Here’s an example of Teppanyaki on Royal

F8EBBC1D-6ADC-42F5-8926-97AB9359270D.jpeg