Off-menu in MDR?

Underwatr

On 9/21/2019 at 7:36 PM, Mikew0805 said:

I have ordered off menu a few times in advance. However, it is a menu item from another night. We have had cruises where we had carrot cake every night for dessert. Also, on the first night I ask for savory bites and onion rolls, which used to be in the bread basket, but are not any longer. We had them every night after I asked. The worst that can happen is they say no... Might as well ask. 

We learned on our last cruise to ask for the savory bites to get them every night. I love those bread sticks too. I am looking forward to trying the new vegan menus as we have been following a plant-based diet recently (as a dietary reset and for weight loss reasons) and I am curious what they make! I have enjoyed learning this new way of cooking and have been losing weight as a result. We are pretty strict though, and don't include any oil or salt. But still looking forward to trying new things. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 2:19 AM, Russ Lomas said:

Now all of you have me thinking.  I have craved beef wellington every cruise since it was taken off the menu years ago.  Wonder if that would be a request that could be accommodated.  We travel as a group of 20 usually, so I am sure many of them would be interested in that too, so as they did not have to make just a single portion for me.

I have no idea if they would make it for you but it definitely has not been taken off the menu on all cruises. It was one of the entrees on our first formal night on Indy in May and we've had it on a few times on TAs in the last few years.

On 9/21/2019 at 5:26 PM, Underwatr said:

Hi, everyone. We'll be cruising on Freedom of the Seas (first RCCL cruise although I have about 15 cruises on other lines). I've been watching YouTube videos to become more familiar with Freedom and with Royal Caribbean in general.

In one particular video the person mentions being able to make off-menu requests in the main dining room. He begins by saying "If you have any dietary restrictions don't hesitate to make them known..." but eventually he mentions that anyone can order anything within reason with some advance warning, for example he sometimes orders something like an Indian curry (with 24 hours notice) because he likes a good curry and they're happy to oblige.

Is this true? Does it require an extraordinary relationship with the head waiter?

Was this guy being over-optimistic?

I love escargot, and my husband loves the shrimp cocktail.  We let our dining waiter (we usually stick to the same table even in MTD) about this the first or second night.  They have them ready for us when we arrive.  On all the ships we've sailed on, but when there was an escargot shortage a few years ago, I had to skip them for about a year.

15 hours ago, kernow said:

I have no idea if they would make it for you but it definitely has not been taken off the menu on all cruises. It was one of the entrees on our first formal night on Indy in May and we've had it on a few times on TAs in the last few years.

It is definitely not on the menu on the 5-7 day Caribbean cruises.  We have done 10 with RCCL and never had beef wellington on the menu any night.  I guess I will find out in March when we take our next RCCL cruise and when the head waiter comes by to ask how our first night's dinner was, I will reply, "Very good, now if you could serve us beef wellington on one night this cruise, I will give you the 10's across the board on that survey you are always asking for 10's on"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am Filipino and often without me asking they will offer me some adobo.  Especially if the head waiter stops by, about half the time he will ask if I’d like some Filipino food.  Especially after a couple of days of always ordering steamed white rice with every meal.

6 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

It is definitely not on the menu on the 5-7 day Caribbean cruises.  We have done 10 with RCCL and never had beef wellington on the menu any night.  I guess I will find out in March when we take our next RCCL cruise and when the head waiter comes by to ask how our first night's dinner was, I will reply, "Very good, now if you could serve us beef wellington on one night this cruise, I will give you the 10's across the board on that survey you are always asking for 10's on"

I believe there are something like 15-20 different menus on RCL  and I would guess they use them according to the demographic of passengers on any cruise.(I'm pretty sure we were told something like this on a galley tour once). The beef Wellington are not individual ones but a slice from a large one so whether they would make it on request I don't know but you can only try. BTW the one we had in May was very good😀

20 hours ago, pcur said:

I love escargot, and my husband loves the shrimp cocktail.  We let our dining waiter (we usually stick to the same table even in MTD) about this the first or second night.  They have them ready for us when we arrive.  On all the ships we've sailed on, but when there was an escargot shortage a few years ago, I had to skip them for about a year.

That's pretty much me too! In fact I'd say it's a staple choice on board and with Diamond Plus fast approaching I don't think I've yet to dine in the MDR without having them! Last August a young 6 yr old girl on the table next to us (effectively joined together it was that close,  and we all talked together constantly for the cruise) asked for some and again is now hooked! ha ha

Edited by ZiggaZagga17

17 hours ago, kernow said:

I believe there are something like 15-20 different menus on RCL  and I would guess they use them according to the demographic of passengers on any cruise.(I'm pretty sure we were told something like this on a galley tour once). The beef Wellington are not individual ones but a slice from a large one so whether they would make it on request I don't know but you can only try. BTW the one we had in May was very good😀

We always travel with a group of 20 to 30 people and dine together.  I am sure we could manage a dozen or more beef wellingtons if they were to make a large one and slice it for us🤪

A number of years ago there was an Austrian Chef in the Kitchen.  I asked the Head Waiter if I could get a Wiener Schnitzel.  He said he would ask the Chef.  The next night the Head Waiter brought over a plate of at least 10 Schnitzels.  I took two and asked him to pass the plate around.  They were marvelous  and everyone else who had them gave me the thumbs up.