Breakaway in Port During Tropical Storm

GA Dave

Tropical storms are pretty much just a bad rain storm. In fact I've seen thunderstorms worse than many tropical storms! Driven around in my car in them no problem. Went outside to play in the rain in them. And Karen was barely one when she passed. Not exactly the most pleasant day, but shouldn't have been too bad. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Tropical storms are pretty much just a bad rain storm. In fact I've seen thunderstorms worse than many tropical storms! Driven around in my car in them no problem. Went outside to play in the rain in them. And Karen was barely one when she passed. Not exactly the most pleasant day, but shouldn't have been too bad. 

Tropical storms can still cause havoc. Last week tropical storm Imelda hit us, up to 43 inches of rain in some areas of greater Houston, 5 deaths, many houses flooded, to date insurance claims have been filed for over 10,000 flooded vehicles, the interstate between Texas and Louisiana is still shut down because barges hit a bridge and did structural damage, etc, etc.    

17 minutes ago, jaapie said:

Tropical storms can still cause havoc. Last week tropical storm Imelda hit us, up to 43 inches of rain in some areas of greater Houston, 5 deaths, many houses flooded, to date insurance claims have been filed for over 10,000 flooded vehicles, the interstate between Texas and Louisiana is still shut down because barges hit a bridge and did structural damage, etc, etc.    

Never said they couldn't - though truthfully overall they are less havoc raising than hurricanes. But really bad rain storms that aren't tropical storms can cause flood damage too. They lack the main destructions hurricanes have - extremely high force wind, large storm surge, and tornadoes. 

Houston has a flooding problem that happens with a bad rain storm, it's just horrible luck they've had two storms stall over them in the last two years allowing it to dump rain and cause destruction. 

• Like 1

Looks like they stayed for a 2 day San Juan port call instead of going to St. Thomas today.

The ship would have normally left in the evening (9pm?) to cross over to St. Thomas right as the storm was passing. Although the ship would not be in danger, you could have all outdoor spaces closed, and gusts could drive water into many of the doors as happened when the ship sailed in a bomb cyclone to NY.  It is not the kind of situation cruise ships should be in, so I am glad they did not sail last night.

I did see that passengers had no idea there was a possible change coming though.  Communications not great again.

It's not the port conditions and damage.  it's the safety of sailing in 50-60 mph winds with driving rain and the comfort of the passengers.  This is why you rarely see a cruise ship sail into a tropical storm, and why ports close when the winds will be this high.  A wind of that speed will make it dangerous to dock and maneuver in narrow channels.  I have been on Breakway for 3 ports with 45mph winds and we delayed docking and then took an hour extra time to dock with the possibility of waiving off and not going.  That was with no rain.

• Like 1