swim with turtles

PaulaS8071

A few years ago, on a HAL cruise, we did an excursion that involved swimming with the turtles. There was no beach stop, but there was an open bar, snacks.  Trying to find this excursion, as the people were so accommodating, and it was great fun. Any ideas?

Paula

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with TTEllis....we've been with Nic twice and am looking forward to booking again. Small group, nice clean catamaran, hot, freshly cooked food, plenty of snacks and top shelf drinks. 

They pick you up right outside the port gates and take you to the dock. Coffee, hot tea, and cookies waiting when you board. About a 10 minute trip out, they stop and look for turtles, and the guide will draw them close. After doing that for a little bit, you move on to 2 snorkel stops at shipwrecks. Then you sail for a while up the coastline. 

You do stop close to a small, empty beach while they cook lunch. You have to swim to it and there are no chairs. It's pretty much just down a cliff from some houses, and no one else is there. 

After some time there, you sail back to the dock and they take you back to the port. I'd say there's less than an hour to do any shopping, and it's only at the port stores. Spending the day sailing and relaxing is well worth it. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 9:13 PM, trouble1964 said:

I agree with TTEllis....we've been with Nic twice and am looking forward to booking again. Small group, nice clean catamaran, hot, freshly cooked food, plenty of snacks and top shelf drinks. 

They pick you up right outside the port gates and take you to the dock. Coffee, hot tea, and cookies waiting when you board. About a 10 minute trip out, they stop and look for turtles, and the guide will draw them close. After doing that for a little bit, you move on to 2 snorkel stops at shipwrecks. Then you sail for a while up the coastline. 

You do stop close to a small, empty beach while they cook lunch. You have to swim to it and there are no chairs. It's pretty much just down a cliff from some houses, and no one else is there. 

After some time there, you sail back to the dock and they take you back to the port. I'd say there's less than an hour to do any shopping, and it's only at the port stores. Spending the day sailing and relaxing is well worth it. 

Yes, that's it!! One of the best Cat tours throughout the Caribbean. I've done every single one of them some 2 or 3 times. Nic and his crew are the best, food and drinks ARE top shelf.

Snorkeling the two shipwrecks was awesome. Swimming with the turtles was wonderful, an excellent experience.

YES!! We swam from the Cat. to the beautiful white sand beach while the crew made lunch, how nice was that!! Exactly no one else was there. We had the beach to ourselves while the guys made lunch I didn't want to swim back to the Cat. that was nice.

Glad others are enjoying this your. Don't miss it, have fun Todd

I've been trying to catch up with them to schedule an excursion on our next cruise. The face page isn't up to date and they aren't on the trip site anymore.....not answering emails....Anyone else had luck with contact? I hope everything is ok with them. 

On 10/28/2019 at 4:53 AM, trouble1964 said:

I've been trying to catch up with them to schedule an excursion on our next cruise. The face page isn't up to date and they aren't on the trip site anymore.....not answering emails....Anyone else had luck with contact? I hope everything is ok with them. 

I just talked to Nic, he's good they are definitely sailing the Calypso Girl. Email him at calypsocruisesbarbados@gmail.com

Pretty much the best or one of the best Cat. Sails in the Southern Caribbean. It's been a few years but this is the best ticket on Barbados. Have fun Todd

Please post a review when you get back. Thanks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lynn2002 said:

How close to the beach does the catamaran stop?  I'm not a strong swimmer!

It's a few hundred yards off the beach, but they have vests and pool noodles for you to use. You can just float and the turtles will come up to the guide, who will be close to you. They will take very good care of you! 

On 10/31/2019 at 8:13 AM, TTEllis said:

I just talked to Nic, he's good they are definitely sailing the Calypso Girl. Email him at calypsocruisesbarbados@gmail.com

Pretty much the best or one of the best Cat. Sails in the Southern Caribbean. It's been a few years but this is the best ticket on Barbados. Have fun Todd

Please post a review when you get back. Thanks.

Thanks for your help----booked! 

On 11/5/2019 at 4:42 PM, lynn2002 said:

How close to the beach does the catamaran stop?  I'm not a strong swimmer!

No, no, no you can swim it. About 100 ft or so, water is so calm and crystal clear it's very inviting you won't want to get out of it, walking up on the beach is an awesome feeling. 

You got it. Your in for a very memorable day. 

On 11/6/2019 at 1:57 AM, trouble1964 said:

Thanks for your help----booked! 

How AWESOME is that. The Calypso Girl is pretty much the nicest Cat. Sail in the Southern Caribbean hands down, couldn't believe how good the food was. 

Every time I turned around someone was handing me something to eat or another beer, it was wonderful. 

Have a great time, please post a review when you get back. Thanks Todd

On 11/6/2019 at 1:57 AM, trouble1964 said:

It's a few hundred yards off the beach, but they have vests and pool noodles for you to use. You can just float and the turtles will come up to the guide, who will be close to you. They will take very good care of you! 

Yes it's a great swim nice water no worries. 

Now I need to go back! I did a turtle swim with another company and it was not a good experience. I was concerned about safety because there were not enough life jackets for kids so he gave her adult. I had to explain how to make it fit so it wouldn't rise up over her head.

Best to go with recommendations even if it costs more.

Where did Calypso boat go? I was hoping for boat ride to west coast of Barbados.

Calypso Girl is $100 per person and definitely worth it. 

I does go west but not real far. Just to the shipwrecks, water, sand, beaches, and snorkeling are some of the best in the Caribbean easily. 

Calypso Girl crew is the best. 

Our CC roll call we had a BLAST we sailed with them twice those guys are nothing but fun. Later Todd 

On 11/8/2019 at 8:44 PM, TTEllis said:

How AWESOME is that. The Calypso Girl is pretty much the nicest Cat. Sail in the Southern Caribbean hands down, couldn't believe how good the food was. 

Every time I turned around someone was handing me something to eat or another beer, it was wonderful. 

Have a great time, please post a review when you get back. Thanks Todd

Do they have other beverage options? I am gluten-free so beer does not work. 

• 3 weeks later...

It was absolutely wonderful! We were the only 2 that day (which I felt bad about, because I know it was not worth it financially to him to take us). But he told us so much about life on Barbados, pointed out some of the places his friends lived, we ate way too much food, but had so much fun. 

When we stopped for them to make lunch, I snorkeled near some rocks and the water was amazingly clear. I was the only one there, unlike at the shipwrecks, where there are crowds of people and you keep bumping into them. I got some really good pics of the turtles----very close---and the fish at both places I snorkeled. 

Nick showed us a wonderful time, and after 3 trips with him, feels like an old friend now. 

9 hours ago, trouble1964 said:

It was absolutely wonderful! We were the only 2 that day (which I felt bad about, because I know it was not worth it financially to him to take us). But he told us so much about life on Barbados, pointed out some of the places his friends lived, we ate way too much food, but had so much fun. 

When we stopped for them to make lunch, I snorkeled near some rocks and the water was amazingly clear. I was the only one there, unlike at the shipwrecks, where there are crowds of people and you keep bumping into them. I got some really good pics of the turtles----very close---and the fish at both places I snorkeled. 

Nick showed us a wonderful time, and after 3 trips with him, feels like an old friend now. 

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

• Like 1