Lima to Santiago Nov 19 outerwear question. Past Pax?

kimanjo

Booked on Nov 19 Lima to Santiago on Quest.  Have booked some excursions on Zodiacs.  This is from the description of the excursion...

Dress warmly in layers; a waterproof and windproof outer layer is provided. Wear sunglasses and sunscreen. Bring water, a hat and binoculars. There are steps to negotiate when (dis)embarking the Zodiac; assistance is offered.

I called Seabourn, and they didn't have the answer for me... For anyone who has done this or similar.  Is it waterproof jacket AND pants??  Boots?? 

I'm just trying to get my packing list together.  Would rather not have to pack items that would be supplied.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, kimanjo said:

Booked on Nov 19 Lima to Santiago on Quest.  Have booked some excursions on Zodiacs.  This is from the description of the excursion...

Dress warmly in layers; a waterproof and windproof outer layer is provided. Wear sunglasses and sunscreen. Bring water, a hat and binoculars. There are steps to negotiate when (dis)embarking the Zodiac; assistance is offered.

I called Seabourn, and they didn't have the answer for me... For anyone who has done this or similar.  Is it waterproof jacket AND pants??  Boots?? 

I'm just trying to get my packing list together.  Would rather not have to pack items that would be supplied.

Thanks!

Expect some ocean spray in the zodiacs, so definitely a waterproof jacket or windbreaker.  You could wear jeans and if they get a little wet, you could throw them in the clothes dryer.  I don't think you need boots.  We had fairly warm weather during late November early December.

36 minutes ago, tv24 said:

Expect some ocean spray in the zodiacs, so definitely a waterproof jacket or windbreaker.  You could wear jeans and if they get a little wet, you could throw them in the clothes dryer.  I don't think you need boots.  We had fairly warm weather during late November early December.

The web site ( as I quoted in my original post) says waterproof and windproof layers will be provided... Do you recall seeing them?  What types if you saw? 

I have waterproof jacket and water resistant hiking type pants ( overlayer).  Just wondering if I have to bring my pants. 

Did a similar cruise a little while ago, but carried on to Punta Arenas.  The first few days - Lima and northern Chile - is pleasant, dry, but not over hot (cooled by the Humboldt current).  Usually cloudy, even misty in the mornings, but clearing by midday and a sunny afternoon.  The sun is strong once it does come out.  Then some warmer days in central Chile.  If you are disembarking in Santiago, you should be fine.  Really heavy rain is unlikely - we did not get any until we were further south than you are going. Waterproofs for the zodiac transfers or tours - I did not take any.  

I assume that you are on an Antarctica cruise.  If so, Seabourn will be providing a waterproof parka with a comfy puffy jacket that goes underneath and can be worn standalone.  So since they provide the parka you only need to bring your own waterproof pants.  I purchased my pants from LLBean (I think).  Basically if you buy waterproof ski pants with the pant bottoms that open over the ski boots then you are good.  Make sure to go to ShiptoShoreTraveler dot com website.  If you add forward slash Seabourn to the web address it will bring you to everything that you need for your cruise.  I highly recommend renting...not purchasing... what you need from that website.  They are very efficient and what you have rented arrives like magic in your suite.  You get to keep the parka and puffy jacket (which is free) so try to remember that for packing on your way home.  When I was on this cruise in 2018 we also received for free a penguin-decorated wool cap and a knapsack for help in carrying things ashore in Antarctica.  Please note that the knapsack is not waterproof but you can use the plastic bag that your boots come in to line the bag if you need to protect stuff that comes ashore.  We also purchased and brought waterproof gloves plus glove liners with us.  The gloves will protect your hands when you are on the zodiac or if it is snowing heavily during your landing and the liners were warm enough to use as gloves once we were on shore to use when operating our cameras.  I hope that helps!  

1 hour ago, hamasgirl said:

I assume that you are on an Antarctica cruise.  If so, Seabourn will be providing a waterproof parka with a comfy puffy jacket that goes underneath and can be worn standalone.  So since they provide the parka you only need to bring your own waterproof pants.  I purchased my pants from LLBean (I think).  Basically if you buy waterproof ski pants with the pant bottoms that open over the ski boots then you are good.  Make sure to go to ShiptoShoreTraveler dot com website.  If you add forward slash Seabourn to the web address it will bring you to everything that you need for your cruise.  I highly recommend renting...not purchasing... what you need from that website.  They are very efficient and what you have rented arrives like magic in your suite.  You get to keep the parka and puffy jacket (which is free) so try to remember that for packing on your way home.  When I was on this cruise in 2018 we also received for free a penguin-decorated wool cap and a knapsack for help in carrying things ashore in Antarctica.  Please note that the knapsack is not waterproof but you can use the plastic bag that your boots come in to line the bag if you need to protect stuff that comes ashore.  We also purchased and brought waterproof gloves plus glove liners with us.  The gloves will protect your hands when you are on the zodiac or if it is snowing heavily during your landing and the liners were warm enough to use as gloves once we were on shore to use when operating our cameras.  I hope that helps!  

We are not on Antarctica cruise.  It's a  coastal South America Lima to Santiago.  Has 3 zodiac excursions.  So, that is why I am wondering.  Don't know how wet one gets on these "milder" zodiac rides????

On 10/2/2019 at 3:29 AM, kimanjo said:

We are not on Antarctica cruise.  It's a  coastal South America Lima to Santiago.  Has 3 zodiac excursions.  So, that is why I am wondering.  Don't know how wet one gets on these "milder" zodiac rides????

We did this last year. I was in shorts, a t-shirt and sneakers as it was 35 degrees. Others covered up because they were afraid of sunburn. I didn’t get wet.

Edited by florisdekort

2 hours ago, florisdekort said:

We did this last year. I was in shorts, a t-shirt and sneakers as it was 35 degrees. Others covered up because they were afraid of sunburn. I didn’t get wet.

Kimanjo, 35 C, that’s about 95f for the USA (about time USA changed, as we did in OZ 40+ years ago🙄😀🤣)

I’m old enough to be fairly conversant in both🤔

Edited by SKP946

3 hours ago, SKP946 said:

Kimanjo, 35 C, that’s about 95f for the USA (about time USA changed, as we did in OZ 40+ years ago🙄😀🤣)

I’m old enough to be fairly conversant in both🤔

Thanks!   At first when I read florisdeort post, I thought 35!! And wearing shorts.  Must be like the people I see at Disney in January heading to the water parks.  In Parkas and shorts, must be from Minnesota.  Then I read they were from Australia( not Minnesota).

On 10/1/2019 at 6:29 PM, kimanjo said:

We did this trip last year and the weather was glorious.  And on the zodiac excursions we just had a light top on, we didn't get wet.  Hope you enjoy it all !  We had a great time.