clothing

ellen9731

I am leaving in a few days to Auckland then to Sydney, I would love to hear from someone who lives there on what to pack. being from California where it is warm, and seeing the weather in Auckland where it says 62 and showers, not sure do I bring a jacket or just sweatshirts. I hate overpacking but I hate being cold. thank you for anyone who can give me suggestions

• Like 1

Today it is going to be 19c in Sydney and up to the mid 20s in outer suburbs. At this time of the year the maximum daily temps in Sydney can range from low to high 20s. They can mostly be beautifully clear days. December, January and February are our honest months (30c plus). Without hesitation I would bring a jacket and a jumper. The nights at this time of the year can still be on the cooler side in Sydney. Can't say too much about New Zealand - been there a couple of times but I should not make comments about the weather, except to indicate that whatever the temperature is in Sydney it will probably be colder in NZ. Hope you have a great time.

20 minutes ago, joybook said:

Today it is going to be 19c in Sydney and up to the mid 20s in outer suburbs. At this time of the year the maximum daily temps in Sydney can range from low to high 20s. 

Thanks. Rethinking what I'm packing (it's fall and varying between upper 20° - 31°C here). Long pants, long sleeves

4 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Got it ... layers on / off midday 

I take

Singlet

T shirt

Shirt

Denim Shirt that doubles as a light jacket 

Jacket

each can be worn by itself or in combination with other items.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I take

Singlet

T shirt

Shirt

Denim Shirt that doubles as a light jacket 

Jacket

each can be worn by itself or in combination with other items.

I'm pretty sure (ok positive) that I'll op out of the 1st item (googled it as I hadn't heard that term b4)

Screenshot_20191008-154314_Chrome.jpg.f7e587c8e414c088fcc2b9ff3e3d0dce.jpg

Just now, Ombud said:

I'm pretty sure (ok positive) that I'll op out of the 1st item (googled it as I hadn't heard that term b4)

Screenshot_20191008-154314_Chrome.jpg.f7e587c8e414c088fcc2b9ff3e3d0dce.jpg

I bet it's a quick hand wash, hang to dry and you are ready to go.   Wonder how one would look with a bow tie????

Singlet in this case is an undershirt with no sleeves. To you it may be known as a "wife beater". I'm sure Mr. Gut is NOT going for the look you listed.

sin·glet
/ˈsiNGɡlət/
noun: singlet; plural noun: singlets
  1. 1.
    British
    a sleeveless garment worn under or instead of a shirt.

2 hours ago, joybook said:

Without hesitation I would bring a jacket and a jumper.

For the Americans the "jumper" above is what you call a sweater.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Layers are the way to go for NZ including a warm layer and a rainproof jacket. If you are doing scenic cruising in Fiordland also take a warm hat, gloves and scarf. It can be very chilly up on deck there, and you really do want to be up on deck for Milford Sound - forward and port side is best when going into the sound.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Layers are the way to go for NZ including a warm layer and a rainproof jacket. If you are doing scenic cruising in Fiordland also take a warm hat, gloves and scarf. It can be very chilly up on deck there, and you really do want to be up on deck for Milford Sound - forward and port side is best when going into the sound.

Yep I take my wheelchair gloves, they are fingerless so I can still use my camera.

15 minutes ago, clo said:

A very impolite term.  They're actually tank tops and IMneverHO women look better in them than most men.

Image result for wife beater

Well some women look good in them, just like some men, it was a standing joke back in the 70s that everyone thought I would turn up to my wedding, in Singlet, stubbies and thongs, all colour coordinated naturally. Green or black was the top pick. Even Mrs G half expected it.

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

That's what I'm wearing. Jeans & 3/4 sleeve peasant blouse. It's 84°F = 28.9°C

OMG 🙂  I don't regularly stop wearing shorts until it's dependably under 55!  F 🙂  We went off this morning on a lot of errands and it felt chilly in the house so I had on khakis and a long sleeve tee.  Heading home after lunch, so around 1, it was low 70s and I was glowing (in the South we said "horses sweat, men perspire and ladies glow.")  LO

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

stubbies

I had to look that up.  In the US I think they're called "gym shorts" as that's the only place they should be worn. 🙂  

Sounds like you surprised them in a good way.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Well some women look good in them, just like some men, it was a standing joke back in the 70s that everyone thought I would turn up to my wedding, in Singlet, stubbies and thongs, all colour coordinated naturally. Green or black was the top pick. Even Mrs G half expected it.

There you go again with "thongs". When we were kids they were called thongs. Now they are flip flops. I recall well the day my wife called down the hall asking my daughter if she could "borrow her thongs". My daughter came out of her room with the most horrified look on her face. Naturally my wife meant her shoes but...

The reason I used the term "wife beater" was so nobody would read "tank top" and immediately post a picture of a "tank suit" swim wear. We were already having enough issues with singlet.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Is this you in an earlier time?

7 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Could be.

Funny how different we all used to be when we were young and how we change as we get older.

image.jpeg.dc3d96ed4e4f242b788915c0163bfa37.jpegimage.jpeg.50f2cbe99dbae56ab6a864cb09bc913a.jpeg

Edited by Thrak