Legend- Mediterranean cruise?

Bostncruiser44

Hello cruisers! My husband and I are thinking about a 9 day Med cruise next summer for our 10 year anniversary aboard the Legend.  Looking for pros/cons and cabin suggestions.  We’re leaning toward balcony vs suite since flights and excursions will be pricey.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated and welcomed. Thanks in advance:) 

7 hours ago, Bostncruiser44 said:

Hello cruisers! My husband and I are thinking about a 9 day Med cruise next summer for our 10 year anniversary aboard the Legend.  Looking for pros/cons and cabin suggestions.  We’re leaning toward balcony vs suite since flights and excursions will be pricey.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated and welcomed. Thanks in advance:) 

Which sailing are you in?

Our family of four is booked on the July 7-19 Carnival Legend Cruise to celebrate our daughter’s graduation from the University of Florida. We are booked in a balcony cabin. It’s a very port intensive cruise with long days ashore so my guess is that cabin quality will mean less on this cruise compared to a typical Caribbean cruise. It is pricey though. Especially if you are planning to arrive a few days early into Barcelona (as we are). You also have to consider the cost of international flights and shore excursions. Although I have heard good reports in people obtaining reasonably priced airfare by working with Carnival’s Fly Away program. We booked our own flights. FYI: The Carnival Radiance also will sail the Mediterranean in May of next year. Similar itinerary. Good luck.

That’s exactly my thinking! We’d like a balcony but prefer to spend the money on excursions and the cost of airfare vs. splurging on a suite.  I’m going to see what carnival comes up with for flights from Boston and then do some pricing on my own.  Did you arrange your own pre-cruise hotels in Barcelona or did Carnival help you with that? 
As a teacher I’m restricted to travel times so we can’t book in May but had heard about that other cruise.  Sounds wonderful! Congratulations to your daughter! 

We have a group on the Aug 9 cruise.  To specifically answer your question, we love specialty cabins, and cruise in them frequently.  That said, on Med cruises, we find that we are concentrating so much on the ports, that these cabins are not the best fit.  We still do book a balcony, to relax some in the evening, but it would be thrown away money to have a suite or speciality cabin.  Hope this helps.

I have good news for you Boston. There is a discount airline that flys direct into Barcelona from Logan. The price was very reasonable. The name of the airline is Fly Level, part of Iberia Airlines. It doesn’t get great reviews. Very low overhead operation. Everything onboard is sold ala Carte. But it should fine flying direct non stop. Take a look.

7 minutes ago, Bostncruiser44 said:

That’s exactly my thinking! We’d like a balcony but prefer to spend the money on excursions and the cost of airfare vs. splurging on a suite.  I’m going to see what carnival comes up with for flights from Boston and then do some pricing on my own.  Did you arrange your own pre-cruise hotels in Barcelona or did Carnival help you with that? 
As a teacher I’m restricted to travel times so we can’t book in May but had heard about that other cruise.  Sounds wonderful! Congratulations to your daughter! 

We did our own pre and post hotels, specifically in Venice, location is key and transfers can costly.  We found using fly2fun very easy and a very good price, just be specific as to your wishes (lowest cost, or direct flights or adding a day pre or post etc). 

Barcelona is a tremendous city to walk around in...but guard your money/purse/wallet, etc.  It is the only city I've visited where someone has tried to slice the strap on my purse.  Thankfully, I had been warned and had invested in a purse with ultra-security features, including a wire cable in the strap and a mesh "basket" throughout.  We were packed like sardines in the mercado on Las Ramblas, emerged from the market and noticed my little bottle of hand sanitizer had been cut and removed and there were hack marks on the locking mechanisms of the purse!  I felt I was aware of what was going on - apparently, not in that crowd.   Don't let this stop you - just be aware!  

Enjoy the cathedral, the Gauidi houses, wine at a sidewalk cafe, the night time fountain displays...the seafront.  We stayed at the Apollo Tryp hotel, walking distance to everything and a cheap cab ride to the Port.  We enjoyed lovely rooms with balconies at a bargain price (that was 2013, also aboard the Legend).

Edited by Out of Iowa
grammar
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, hope you don't mind me adding to this thread.  I have twins who will be age 12 at time of sailing next August.  I am starting to look at cruises in Europe and usually go on RCCL cruises to Carribean.  I wanted to look into Europe as I think cruise great way to get the highlights of Europe.  

All the RCCL, NCL, Celebrity cruises are very expensive.  The Carnival Legend looks very good with a great choice of cities within a 9 day trip.  I was thinking of the 12 day also but I think with Barcelona and Venice as the ports of departure, I think we can enjoy these cities more before and after the cruise. 

Wondering what are everyone thought's on the Legend.  I know it is port intensive cruise, so I don't think I need to pay extra for a fancier ship.  As long as clean, half decent food and a pool that the kids can relax after a long day, I think we should be good.  

Any opinion on if Legend and the European cruise good for kids aged 12.  Also, I heard Carnival cruise air program can be reasonably priced also.  I am also flying out of Boston.  Thanks

Edited by cdoobiest

48 minutes ago, CRUZN-IS-FUN said:

Hello all.  I too am very interested in booking this for our anniversary, but I am looking at 2021.  Any idea if, and when, the Europe schedules for 2021 may come out (based on when the 2020s came out?).  thanks.

Carnival doesn't cruise Europe every year however, they will be cruising in 2021 per certain port schedules and some hints by John Heald.  Look towards the end of this week (possibly Wed).  Will be British Isles June-August and then down to the Mediterranean until October. There should also be 2 cruises moving the ship from Spain to UK.  Late May should be Barcelona to Southampton and then late August back down to Barcelona with stops in France/Portugal/Spain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cdoobiest said:

Hi everyone, hope you don't mind me adding to this thread.  I have twins who will be age 12 at time of sailing next August.  I am starting to look at cruises in Europe and usually go on RCCL cruises to Carribean.  I wanted to look into Europe as I think cruise great way to get the highlights of Europe.  

All the RCCL, NCL, Celebrity cruises are very expensive.  The Carnival Legend looks very good with a great choice of cities within a 9 day trip.  I was thinking of the 12 day also but I think with Barcelona and Venice as the ports of departure, I think we can enjoy these cities more before and after the cruise. 

Wondering what are everyone thought's on the Legend.  I know it is port intensive cruise, so I don't think I need to pay extra for a fancier ship.  As long as clean, half decent food and a pool that the kids can relax after a long day, I think we should be good.  

Any opinion on if Legend and the European cruise good for kids aged 12.  Also, I heard Carnival cruise air program can be reasonably priced also.  I am also flying out of Boston.  Thanks

Hi there!  Just wanted to chime back— we just booked BOS to Barcelona and then Rome back to Boston ( we’re going to take a train from Venice to Rome post cruise and explore for a few days) and we got round trip on Delta with trip insurance for $1035 TOTAL for two adults.  I just booked this yesterday.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trvlgirlmq said:

Carnival doesn't cruise Europe every year however, they will be cruising in 2021 per certain port schedules and some hints by John Heald.  Look towards the end of this week (possibly Wed).  Will be British Isles June-August and then down to the Mediterranean until October. There should also be 2 cruises moving the ship from Spain to UK.  Late May should be Barcelona to Southampton and then late August back down to Barcelona with stops in France/Portugal/Spain.

Have you found them listed in European ports?

On 10/23/2019 at 8:51 AM, Bostncruiser44 said:

This is very helpful! Exactly what I’m needing to help make our decision.  Thank you SO much! 😊

I also highly recommend checking out TAP Portugal. We flew them last year, Boston to Barcelona for around $500 each round trip. 

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yes Athens, Le Havre, Gibraltar, Porto. I posted links on another site I follow and am on my phone so can’t do it now. If I have time in the morning I wil post but you can also check the Royal thread for the upcoming season and they have a link to Athens. Legend listed for all ports I mentioned. Plus JH has alluded several times to cruising with him in the British Isles.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

https://www.havre-port.com/fr/liste/2077/escales-croisieres#  filter June 2021 - Sept 2021

https://www.gibraltarport.com/schedules   filter 2021 May 

http://www.olp.gr/en/cruise-greece/cruise-programme  download the 2021 calendar

Edited by trvlgirlmq
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, trvlgirlmq said:

https://www.havre-port.com/fr/liste/2077/escales-croisieres#  filter June 2021 - Sept 2021

https://www.gibraltarport.com/schedules   filter 2021 May 

http://www.olp.gr/en/cruise-greece/cruise-programme  download the 2021 calendar

Thanks for posting.

6 hours ago, trvlgirlmq said:

Sorry I couldn't make it easy and figure out screenshots.  There was no Millennial to assist me!

http://www.apdl.pt/cruzeiros/previsaochegada.jsp?lang=en

Here is Porto.  Scheduled for May 30 and August 31.

Announcement this afternoon at Cruiseworld in FLL.  Look for 2021 Europe 

• Like 1