Any tours recommended Panama Canal

fefe

We’re looking at a Panama Canal Cruise in March and had a couple of questions.

Has anyone had a cabin on deck 10 and is it noisy being near the Crowsnest?

1. Any tips or advice on the Panama Canal sailing? 

Thanks for any advice or information! 

Edited by fefe

Be prepared to get up early to see the entrance into the canal. If you've never done the Panama Canal, it's worth getting up early. And don't miss the "Panama buns" they serve on the decks.

You might do better for port advice asking questions about your ports on the port of call threads. 

Did you miss the answers from the first time you posted your questions?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

We really enjoyed the Embera Village tour.  Well worth it.  I bought the most amazingly intricate small woven basket from a young lady who told me it took her 40 days to make it.  Not sure if they still price things this way but she said they calculate costs at $1/day.

We did the partial transit 4 years ago and are doing the full transit this January. We took the cruise specifically to go through the canal and stayed on the ship to enjoy every minute. Even sitting in Lake Gatun was wonderful. If you are going for the canal experience, you will miss it if you get off the ship for a tour. We will be staying on the ship this time to. The experience is awesome. And we live along the Mississippi where we have gone through the locks and dams many times in boats. This was totally different. To each their own, I guess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, cabinluvn said:

If you are going for the canal experience, you will miss it if you get off the ship for a tour

In the tour we took we got off in Lake Gatun and got back on Lake Gatun.  Didn’t miss the canal experience at all.

• Like 1

When people say get up early, they mean EARLY.  When we did it in 2012 we were in the crows nest at 4:30am and it was already packed.  If I had to guess, I think people pretty much spent the night for the best seats.  But the bow should be open and there is plenty of space on the promenade deck.  We are doing it again on December 21 on the Rotterdam.  If you take a peek at our roll call we have several excursions planned.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dadroy said:

When people say get up early, they mean EARLY.  When we did it in 2012 we were in the crows nest at 4:30am and it was already packed.  If I had to guess, I think people pretty much spent the night for the best seats.  But the bow should be open and there is plenty of space on the promenade deck.  We are doing it again on December 21 on the Rotterdam.  If you take a peek at our roll call we have several excursions planned.

Yes, early bird catches the worm here.  Our first passage, I did get up and had my place there along the railing of the bow.  It was worth it!  The crow's nest, I agree people were there overnight and took turns holding chairs.  To me, it's better to be out in the air on the bow.  Grab a coffee and a Panama bun and just do it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Read, read, read David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas.  Really...a must-do before your first canal passage.  

Great read I agree.  However, allow yourself plenty of time as it is VERY long.

We saw a great video about the canal building while onboard, but I cannot remember the name of it.