Just back from Allure

sunkey1

Just returned from Western sailing on the Allure on 10/20. Rather than going day by day on review I'm going to break it up into categories.

Embark/Debark - Hands down fastest EVER in almost 50 cruises! Arrived at the Ft. Lauderdale parking lot next to the ship at 10:45, was on the ship at 11:05. Never stopped walking from the minute we got out of the car except for the 5 seconds it took for someone to scan the set sail pass. Debark was just as fast. Did self assist and were told to report to Amber Theater at 7 am. Went down at 6:45, straight out the door and through the terminal. Customs now consists of having your face scanned, no forms unless you are declaring something. Amazingly fast.

Stateroom - Nice enough, had a balcony on the hump. Large balcony with two of the most uncomfortable chairs I've ever sat in, plus a nice size table. Had many breakfasts out there. Room was average with sufficient storage for two. Balcony glass was not cleaned once that week and was really pretty bad - we finally took a damp towel to it one day so that we could see through it. Bathroom was average, curved glass doors which I much prefer over a curtain although larger people would find it a challenge for sure. Smallest counter in the bathroom of any I've ever seen. Couldn't have been more than 10" deep, pretty useless. TV channels, again, probably the worst selection of any ship in a long time. Lots of channels to sell things on the ship, otherwise a channel for toddlers, youth, old shows and two ESPN channels, both Caribbean so the only thing on them all week was soccer and Cricket. The only movies offered were $12, NO WAY. Not like I want to spend a lot of time watching movies but I would appreciate the option if there's a time when I just want to laze around a bit or it's a rainy day.

Shows - Mamma Mia was very good, great talent on the ship. Ocean Aria at the pool, Blue Planet in the theater and Ice Games at the Rink were all good enough, just thought they were strange. Strange music, strange costumes, weird storylines. Not bad, just not my favorite. Sorry, did not make it to any comedy shows.

Royal Promenade - Great area for people watching, parades, entertainment. Problem is that everything is so open that it all bleeds together. We were in the Schooner bar listening to some piano music and could hear music from Bolero's and from further down the Promenade. Another night there were performers on the overhead stage and karaoke going on at On-Air at the same time. Other than Central Park and Dazzles, there was no place to go and listen to music without intrusive other music.

Dining - Had my time dining and had made reservations for 6:30 each evening. Found that this was pretty much a waste of time as people in the line with no reservations proceeded as quickly to tables as those of us who had them. Ate in the American Icon dining room twice, which is the room supposedly for My Time, the other five nights we were led up one or two decks to the other dining rooms. Food was good, but I was really dismayed by the serving sizes. Way too large. Just me but I don't want a huge amount and would rather be served a smaller portion. Those who want ta a lot to eat can order more than one. Buffet was okay but a lot of the food was only warm when we tried it. I will say that attire in the dining room was probably the worst I've ever seen and beats anything I ever saw, even on Carnival. On formal night there was a man with a flannel shirt with the sleeves torn off, too rough to have been cut, plus wearing a baseball cap. Don't flame me, this is just MY opinion, but I was taught that you don't wear caps at the table. Guess I'm old fashioned but I saw a LOT of people wearing baseball caps at dinner this time. Tied for tacky was the couple who wore their swimsuits to dinner, he with a t-shirt, her with a sheer cover up. Again, just MY thoughts and I know it's their vacation too, but just think that's pushing it.

Overall ship/crew - Think it still looks pretty good, Saw a few spots on carpet but pretty well kept up for the most part. Will say that the restrooms on this particular trip were about the most neglected I've seen. Didn't appear to be anybody checking them very often. Crew was very friendly with the exception of those in the shops, which often seems to be the case for some odd reason. Big shoutout to Gavin at the Cafe Promenade. By the second day he knew my name and my husbands along with our coffee preferences. Always very warm and welcoming. Duwayne, our room steward was also great, finding a topper to soften up the bed, which was otherwise like laying on a concrete slab.

Overall, had a great cruise, as I always do - put me on a ship and I'm happy. I don't think the next time that I cruise RCCl I may try a smaller ship again, having seen all the bells and whistles that Oasis class offers I'm ready to go a little more intimate on the crowd size and ship itself. I also dislike the feeling of being so disconnected from the ocean on the Oasis class.

Edited by sunkey1
misspelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hmm - somewhat different experience for us on that cruise.  Balcony cabin was normal.  Although we don't sit much on those balcony chairs!  Ice Games seems to have been rewritten slightly downplaying Monopoly that never worked.  Acts pretty much the same.  Blue Planet gets better each time we see it - love the tree and the underwater scene. 

We were not pleased with Oasis-class switching the start of MyTime to later and allowing use of that room for First Seating.  But it worked fine for us.  MyTime dining at 6:30 in Icon.  One 5 minute wait on the last day because waiter singing show and slow first seating vacating area.  Ate at same two tables, same waiters each night except one night put us in back of section (same waiters, though).  Thought people were dressed up more than usual on Formal nights - lots of suit coats and most ladies dressed up quite a bit. 

Restrooms near Solarium were well-maintained.  And saw staff cleaning them multiple times a day.

May have been the calmest cruise we have been on.  Sea between Grand Cayman and Cozumel was literally flat.  Have been there with 20' waves.  Almost no rain whole cruise.  Also seemed to have the most kids on any cruise we have been on except for mid-summer.  We expect toddlers but huge number of school-age kids.

We do prefer Adventure class to Oasis-class since we are not fond of making reservations for everything.  But it worked fine this cruise.  Might be getting used to it.

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 1

Random question:

What you guys think is a better deal book 3 days dining package online for $99.00 or wait and purchase aboard the first day of the cruise?

I recall from another cruises they make good offers the first day. But not sure if I will do better online now for $99.00

Thanks 

9 minutes ago, go68fastback said:

Random question:

What you guys think is a better deal book 3 days dining package online for $99.00 or wait and purchase aboard the first day of the cruise?

I recall from another cruises they make good offers the first day. But not sure if I will do better online now for $99.00

Thanks 

If you book on board they will add 18% to the cost.  If you book online they don’t. 

Did either of you who were just on Allure notice if they offered any 3D movies in the theater? They used to have them and we really loved that last time we were on her. I looked at someones compass they posted and couldn't find any 3D.

6 hours ago, bilyclub said:

Were you able to book Ocean Aria online?   Our entertainment opened up today and Ocean Aria is not there.

Online booked 7/11 for 10/13 Allure cruise.

Movies were shown both in Amber Theater and Adventure Ocean.  Did not remember and 3D and looking back through Compass don't see any listed.  Don't think movies like Rocketman need 3D.  

The other unusual thing for this cruise was ship did NOT change from EDT to local.  So both Falmouth and Cozumel were one hour behind ship.  Surprised we didn't see any pier runners.  Also didn't see lady climbing on balcony rail get ejected.

Edited by LeeW
more

On 10/25/2019 at 4:20 PM, bilyclub said:

Were you able to book Ocean Aria online?   Our entertainment opened up today and Ocean Aria is not there.

I booked everything as soon as reservations opened up. Not sure why you wouldn't see it. 

On 10/25/2019 at 7:07 PM, go68fastback said:

Random question:

Thanks 

I didn't notice prices of the packages when onboard - so sorry.

On 10/25/2019 at 8:21 PM, kimala said:

Did either of you who were just on Allure notice if they offered any 3D movies in the theater? They used to have them and we really loved that last time we were on her. I looked at someones compass they posted and couldn't find any 3D.

I don't remember them having but maybe one showing in the theater and I don't believe I saw any movies that were 3D. 

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:25 PM, sunkey1 said:

Arrived at the Ft. Lauderdale parking lot next to the ship at 10:45, was on the ship at 11:05

Can you tell me what price for parking in the lot next to ship - & is it a private lot or RCCL's?   Thanks

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:44 AM, bilyclub said:

I do, Royal IT Department.  Nobody in our roll call has Ocean Aria showing up.

Ours isn't showing up either but all the other shows are there for February.  A member in our group called and they said it would be there as it gets closer.  We will see... 🙂

2 hours ago, njship3 said:

Can you tell me what price for parking in the lot next to ship - & is it a private lot or RCCL's?   Thanks

Sailed last week on the Allure. Parking was $15 a day. $105 for our 7 night cruise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, njship3 said:

I'm not sure who owns it but it was $15/ day. Worth every penny to be on the road that quickly.