House Select Wine Package

CabinBoy2020

First time Oceania cruiser here:  I understand the House Select package ($40/day) is wine/beer at lunch and dinner.  Can anyone tell me how this package actually works?  Is this good at any dining venue at lunch and dinner (GDR, Terraces, specialty, Waves)?  Are there time restrictions (e.g., 12-2pm for lunch)?  If I'm in the GDR for dinner, for instance, I might order a glass of wine with the appetizer and salad.  Then order another glass with the entree.  Can I then order another glass and if I don't finish it, take it out of the restaurant?  FYI: I booked without O-Life. The price difference was more than the House Select cost for this 16 day cruise, so it wasn't worth it.  But I might buy the package if it makes financial sense.  Many thanks!!!

While you are reasonably eating your meal, one can order wines and beer by the course as they see fit. Seems fairly simple.

A few details:

1.  Plenty has been written about the very slow to near non existent adult beverage service in the Terrace. If you get two glasses of wine there during a meal you have been blessed. Don’t expect multiples. On very busy nights in the GDR service can be slow but never as bad as the Terrace. The term in Oceania advertising about “ unlimited beverages “ might be a bit misleading. 

2. While you are reasonably eating has a meaning. Depending upon the server, you may be delivered a bill for later drinks. Sitting over four French fries and a partially consumed sandwich for three hours on the Terrace deck or Waves may not be considered “ during the meal “. You may be running a tab. Best to ask your server if that second glass of port is considered “ during the meal!”.

3.  Within all those limitations, one can leave the dining venue with a partial drink.

Remember, even on the various packages, they will always scan your card.

• Like 1

Thank you pinotlover for the information.  I guess "House Select" really does mean the House will Select what, when and how much you can drink!  I think it makes more sense for me to buy by the glass.  In any event, I'm looking forward to trying Oceania.

Bill

2 hours ago, Clutj said:

Anyone know if Montaudon is still the by the glass champagne listed currently?  (Nov 2019)

It was not available on our August Nautica Cruise. We found the new Germaine to be inferior to the M for our tastes. Even though still listed as Brut , the Germain was closer to the Extra Dry spectrum. The dosage levels of g/l of sugar has some overlaps and the new bubbly definitely ran on the high side of the limits.

Of course Brut versus Extra Dry is a personal preference not necessarily delineating quality.

59 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

It was not available on our August Nautica Cruise. We found the new Germaine to be inferior to the M for our tastes. Even though still listed as Brut , the Germain was closer to the Extra Dry spectrum. The dosage levels of g/l of sugar has some overlaps and the new bubbly definitely ran on the high side of the limits.

Of course Brut versus Extra Dry is a personal preference not necessarily delineating quality.

That's a shame.  The Montaudon is pretty good.  I couldn't even find Germain on the web.  Thanks for the review.  Sadly a downgrade for the Beverage Package because the Montaudon at $16.50 made it a better deal, three glasses of that a day and you are on your way to breaking even...

It’s not found in retail much in the US. A combo of Chardonnay and Pinot Meunière. Typically retails, when found, around $12-$15 per bottle. Quality wise somewhere similar to Korbel but of a different style.

Edited by pinotlover

9 hours ago, pinotlover said:

It’s not found in retail much in the US. A combo of Chardonnay and Pinot Meunière. Typically retails, when found, around $12-$15 per bottle. Quality wise somewhere similar to Korbel but of a different style.

Wow. I never thought I'd see the words 'quality' and 'Korbel' used in the same sentence, even if not necessarily approvingly. 

Edited by Shawnino
typo

12 hours ago, Clutj said:

That's a shame.  The Montaudon is pretty good.  I couldn't even find Germain on the web.  Thanks for the review.  Sadly a downgrade for the Beverage Package because the Montaudon at $16.50 made it a better deal, three glasses of that a day and you are on your way to breaking even...

Maybe try  a glass & see if you like it

I did not care for  the Montaudon 

I prefer Perrier Jouet   but  I just drink what tastes good to me

Wine is like food  ..it is subjective

This  site  has  some descriptions on the Germain etc 

https://www.vivino.com/germain-champagne-reserve-brut-champagne/w/2109196

I prefer just to taste the wine & decide for myself if I like it or not  😉

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shawnino said:

Wow. I never thought I'd see the words 'quality' and 'Korbel' used in the same sentence, even if not necessarily approvingly. 

Ah, but he didn't say "good" or "wonderful" quality.  Just "quality", of which there are many categories.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe try  a glass & see if you like it

I did not care for  the Montaudon 

I prefer Perrier Jouet   but  I just drink what tastes good to me

Wine is like food  ..it is subjective

This  site  has  some descriptions on the Germain etc 

https://www.vivino.com/germain-champagne-reserve-brut-champagne/w/2109196

I prefer just to taste the wine & decide for myself if I like it or not  😉

Thanks for the link.  I will obviously be trying it, and some of the reviews look like I may like it.  As you say, often people taste different things that they like or don't...

I'd still be interested in people who've cruised recently to confirm that Oceania seems to have switched its house champagne over to Germain.  Thanks!

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Yikes!  Montaudon retails for about $35, making this a serious accounting-driven decision for Oceania.  Looks like another sign of giving customers less.  Also amazing that they kept the price at $16.50 per glass, the same as the Montaudon, to give the impression that it's the same quality, or at least value...  Kind of hacks me off...

2 hours ago, Clutj said:

Yikes!  Montaudon retails for about $35, making this a serious accounting-driven decision for Oceania.  Looks like another sign of giving customers less.  Also amazing that they kept the price at $16.50 per glass, the same as the Montaudon, to give the impression that it's the same quality, or at least value...  Kind of hacks me off...

All the wines/beers etc are all marked up on the ships

They do not shop at Total Wine or Publix 

Bring your  own bottles  &  do not worry about the  mark up 😎

22 hours ago, Clutj said:

Anyone know if Montaudon is still the by the glass champagne listed currently?  (Nov 2019)

A passenger that just boarded the Riviera in Montreal sent me a picture of the bottle and it is the Germain. 

On 10/28/2019 at 11:20 PM, CabinForOne said:

First time Oceania cruiser here:  I understand the House Select package ($40/day) is wine/beer at lunch and dinner.  Can anyone tell me how this package actually works?  Is this good at any dining venue at lunch and dinner (GDR, Terraces, specialty, Waves)?  Are there time restrictions (e.g., 12-2pm for lunch)?  If I'm in the GDR for dinner, for instance, I might order a glass of wine with the appetizer and salad.  Then order another glass with the entree.  Can I then order another glass and if I don't finish it, take it out of the restaurant?  FYI: I booked without O-Life. The price difference was more than the House Select cost for this 16 day cruise, so it wasn't worth it.  But I might buy the package if it makes financial sense.  Many thanks!!!

First time on Oceania also.  Can someone explain the 7 bottles of wine deal? I can't fathom how they will deliver my wine to me wherever I am on the ship.  Or is it only at lunch and dinner? Thanks for any clarification.

24 minutes ago, Avant42 said:

First time on Oceania also.  Can someone explain the 7 bottles of wine deal? I can't fathom how they will deliver my wine to me wherever I am on the ship.  Or is it only at lunch and dinner? Thanks for any clarification.

You check off the bottles you want from the specific list  provided

When you want a bottle you ask the Sommelier  to bring that bottle  to  the dining venue (not sure on bars)

I am not sure if they mark your selection ahead of time with your cabin number or not

You could have all 7 bottles sent to your cabin if you choose

Someone will comment further

If you do not finish the bottle in one sitting  then they mark the bottle with your cabin number & store it  until you want it again

We usually have  2 bottles on the go  so we just pick the one we want retrieved that night  in any of the dining venues

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You check off the bottles you want from the specific list  provided

When you want a bottle you ask the Sommelier  to bring that bottle  to  the dining venue (not sure on bars)

I am not sure if they mark your selection ahead of time with your cabin number or not

You could have all 7 bottles sent to your cabin if you choose

Someone will comment further

If you do not finish the bottle in one sitting  then they mark the bottle with your cabin number & store it  until you want it again

We usually have  2 bottles on the go  so we just pick the one we want retrieved that night  in any of the dining venues

Just now, Avant42 said:

(

Thank you. So it’s only in the restaurants. 

I have never tried asking for my bottle of wine in the bar  but I am sure they could send someone  in search of it  if you want to drink it there

13 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I have never tried asking for my bottle of wine in the bar  but I am sure they could send someone  in search of it  if you want to drink it there

I have personally seen the staff in Horizons and Martinis say they couldn’t retrieve a bottle. Perhaps due to staffing and/ or current customers they didn’t feel they could, at that time, or maybe it’s just policy. I personally couldn’t imagine during Happy Hour in Horizons the bartender or one of the waiters disappearing for 10-15 minutes to retrieve a half empty bottle! It’s bad enough when one of the servers does it in the Terrace! Service is already slow there because of staffing levels and to be told our wine servers was gone to find a bottle and is obviously having problems finding it doesn’t help the situation!

Perhaps if it was during a slow period st the bar they might.

Edited by pinotlover

On 10/30/2019 at 2:18 AM, pinotlover said:

While you are reasonably eating your meal, one can order wines and beer by the course as they see fit. Seems fairly simple.

A few details:

1.  Plenty has been written about the very slow to near non existent adult beverage service in the Terrace. If you get two glasses of wine there during a meal you have been blessed. Don’t expect multiples. On very busy nights in the GDR service can be slow but never as bad as the Terrace. The term in Oceania advertising about “ unlimited beverages “ might be a bit misleading. 

2. While you are reasonably eating has a meaning. Depending upon the server, you may be delivered a bill for later drinks. Sitting over four French fries and a partially consumed sandwich for three hours on the Terrace deck or Waves may not be considered “ during the meal “. You may be running a tab. Best to ask your server if that second glass of port is considered “ during the meal!”.

3.  Within all those limitations, one can leave the dining venue with a partial drink.

Remember, even on the various packages, they will always scan your card.

Is it really this bad? We have the house package on our upcoming cruise, our first with Oceania. We're not big drinkers but if the service is so bad, it sounds like the next package up wouldn't be much better.