Airport transfer question for early flight leaving Amsterdam

larekn59

We're taking our first river cruise on AmaWaterways in May 2020, Basel to Amsterdam.  We'll be spending two weeks in Europe prior to the cruise so didn't opt for any pre or post stays and we'll be making our own arrangements to transfer to the airport at the end of the cruise.  We have an 9am flight and will need to disembark early.  I've already spoken to AmaWaterways and there is no problem with this, but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for airport transfers.  I know that we can have AmaWaterways arrange this for us but I suspect it might be a little pricey.  Does any have a recommendations for booking taxis or transportation services in advance and do you know of a good, reliable company?  Thanks, I appreciate any advice you can give on this.

Ask the ship's reception to book you a taxi for the time you need to leave. The ship has the connections, experience and telephone numbers. The reception can always inquire as to the status and where it in the middle of the night. Would you be able to do that if booked a private transfer.

Just do it via the ship, just to save on the stress and worry about the transfer.

• Like 2

Depending on where the ship is docked, and how comfortable you are with public transit and how many bags you have, the ship my be right next to the central station where you can easily catch a train right into the airport.

RB

Thanks for all your suggestions.  We're pretty comfortable with public transportation so, as you say, depending on where the ship is docked that might be an option.  Just wasn't sure if I wanted to deal with that and the early flight, but it's doable.  I also didn't know that Uber was in Amsterdam, so that's definitely an option.  I know some countries don't allow Uber.  And maybe I'm just overthinking it, and as G.M.T. says, just have the ship handle it.  🙂

larenkn59;   I am also on Basel to AMS in May 2020.  We sail 10-18 May and have a 0920 flight on Delta out of AMS.  We plan on taking taxi from port to airport.  I think I read on another post it is about 20-25 min to airport.  We will be leaving ship around 6am.  Since its an int'l flight we are allowing 3 hrs for checkin

I'm sure AMA handles this just as Viking did for us:  a couple of days prior to end of cruise, we received a questionnaire where we listed our transportation needs--in our case they arranged for a cab to the train station--it ended up costing a few euros less than the estimate I had calculated on a website.

All river companies seem to treat their passengers fantastically--I wouldn't worry about getting to airport.

Doesn't AMA provide free transfers? They did when I sailed them which is awhile ago.

If they don't - I would have the ship call for a taxi. It makes the most sense and it should be reasonable.

Edited by Coral

6 hours ago, Coral said:

Doesn't AMA provide free transfers? They did when I sailed them which is awhile ago.

If they don't - I would have the ship call for a taxi. It makes the most sense and it should be reasonable.

They do if you book your air through them which we haven't.

8 hours ago, AF-1 said:

larenkn59;   I am also on Basel to AMS in May 2020.  We sail 10-18 May and have a 0920 flight on Delta out of AMS.  We plan on taking taxi from port to airport.  I think I read on another post it is about 20-25 min to airport.  We will be leaving ship around 6am.  Since its an int'l flight we are allowing 3 hrs for checkin

Based on everyone's response, we'll probably take a taxi.  We are sailing a week before you and have a 9:50 flight on KLM.