Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

We frequently use Uber for transportation here in the US.  We would like to use them when we land in Sydney to get to our hotel.  We will not have mobile phone service when we first arrive.  What are some suggestions to arrange for transportation using an Uber?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uber relies on internet and ideally telephone, otherwise you create risk in contacting if issues arise.

 

If you're not wanting to sign up for a service, but absolutely must use uberx, that falls back to free internet with the limitations and risks that imposes. Your call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Uber relies on internet and ideally telephone, otherwise you create risk in contacting if issues arise.

 

If you're not wanting to sign up for a service, but absolutely must use uberx, that falls back to free internet with the limitations and risks that imposes. Your call.

 

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Uber relies on internet and ideally telephone, otherwise you create risk in contacting if issues arise.

 

If you're not wanting to sign up for a service, but absolutely must use uberx, that falls back to free internet with the limitations and risks that imposes. Your call.

Thanks for the speedy answer.  Still looking at options  We have always just made the arrangements by phone so making them by internet will work just fine.  Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don’t want to rely on free WiFi hot spots for using your mobile apps, you could look into getting an International Day Pass from your US carrier for that first day. Last I used it, At&t charged $10 per day for that feature. I actually switched carriers to T-Mobile before my last international trip because international data roamIng and texting is included for free with most of their plans. Saved a lot of money and hassle, and the monthly charge was lower than AT&T’s, with more things included. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kseattle said:

If you don’t want to rely on free WiFi hot spots for using your mobile apps, you could look into getting an International Day Pass from your US carrier for that first day. Last I used it, At&t charged $10 per day for that feature. I actually switched carriers to T-Mobile before my last international trip because international data roamIng and texting is included for free with most of their plans. Saved a lot of money and hassle, and the monthly charge was lower than AT&T’s, with more things included. 

Thanks, Verizon has $10 a day (24 hours) for international use.  I believe it includes calls and texts as well and is charged only if you use it.  I will be going to check with them soon.  T-Mobile is notorious for poor reception in our neighborhood.  My son (who lives in another state) has to lift his right leg, stick out his tongue and put tin foil on his head to get T-Mobile reception when they are visiting us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2019 at 8:15 AM, Goldconnection said:

I have Verizon and have used the $10 a day international plan. Loved it.

Thanks, just signed up for it yesterday.  Love the fact that no charge unless you use it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming that we have a smartphone data plan that allows us access to the internet, is Uber reliable in Sydney?  In the US we like Lyft.  Is Lyft reliable?   We will arrive in Sydney on Holland America so we dock at White Bay.  Will Uber/Lyft be our best choices for ground transport to the CBD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uber is far more popular here.

 

I'd check surge pricing as depending on how many ships are in at once you may find Uber (or any of the ride share) to be more expensive than a booked Limo..

 

Ola is another operator that is popular with some.   My experience was dire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WisRiver said:

is Uber reliable in Sydney? ...  We will arrive in Sydney on Holland America so we dock at White Bay.  Will Uber/Lyft be our best choices for ground transport to the CBD?

 

We used an Uber from White Bay to the CBD. no problems at all. Cost us AUD$20 to our Hyde Park  area hotel.

We also used Uber from the airport to our hotel in Darling Harbor and then from our Hyde Park hotel back to the airport.

No problems. I can't say if it's the best choice, but it was a good choice for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, WisRiver said:

Assuming that we have a smartphone data plan that allows us access to the internet, is Uber reliable in Sydney?  In the US we like Lyft.  Is Lyft reliable?   We will arrive in Sydney on Holland America so we dock at White Bay.  Will Uber/Lyft be our best choices for ground transport to the CBD?

 

I also prefer Lyft. Unfortunately Lyft does not operate in Australia. There are other competitors, but not them.

 

For ground car transport, Uber is the most available, as well as taxis.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just want to chime in that we have used Uber extensively the last two years in Sydney when we have visited our daughter and family who have been living there in 2017.  We took it twice or more a day for several days in 2018 and 2019.  Vehicles and drivers were great.  Wait not long.  It was great for us.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...