Disembarking mid-itinerary?

calliopecruiser

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The two are necessarily interconnected. What the ship does will, in large part, depend upon what the country does.

The ship will never hold you against your will;  however they will certainly add to your shipboard charges any penalty imposed by the country for their being involved in facilitaing (however unwittingly) your illegal, or simply unusual, entry. They probably will not provide porterage to get your luggage ashore.  Additionally, there might conceivably be penalties imposed by country of embarkation (which would also be passed along to you) - especially if it were a closed loop - wherein there would not be any departures or entries to be considered.

They also will not reimburse you for any of your “unused fare”.  They would not be able to rebook the cabin.

Thanks, I understand all of that.

19 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

The problem is about the drop in air pressure and the lower oxygen levels in the cabin, not the physical confinement of the flight. 

I do not know your specifics but you might want to look at flights that use the 787.   It operates at a lower relative altitude and thus is set at a higher air pressure point as well as higher oxygenation.  That is one of its selling points and from personal experience I can tell you it makes for a much more pleasant flight. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not seeking sensitive personal information -  but I am curious as to what medical condition makes flying not an option - particularly when somewhat cramped confinement in a car for much longer periods is possible.

I have a friend who cannot fly.  Ear problems that cannot take the pressure changes.

Funny thing is, he is a retired airline captain. 🙂

My last stops in Israel (Eilat) the entire ship, crew included, had to zero-out on arrival (like US CBP, except with far more reason). I don't know if anyone left the ship there, but I assume Customs clearance wouldn't be hard to arrange.

But the time before (Haifa, I think), the Middle East got sniffles, the insurers got pneumonia, and the stop was cancelled, so that needs to be part of your plan.

But what I would really worry about, can you get medical insurance with your condition?

On 11/19/2019 at 9:26 PM, navybankerteacher said:

The ship might not care as much as the country which you may have entered illegally.  You can always walk off at a port of call - but a lot of countries do not welcome folks who just show up without entry papers, visa, or whatever. 

I cannot help thinking that Israel, in particular, given the realities they face, would let people just drop in without immigration processing — which is unlikely to take place at a port of call.

Even a country  Jamacia where a couple of times cruise passengers walked off and did not return to the the ship the authorities hunted them down and arrested them for entering illegally.  Some countries you have to show return tickets.  Also some countries have cabotage laws similiar to the US PVSA and Jones Act. You never want to just walk off and not have arranged it. 

Edited by Charles4515

25 minutes ago, Dancer Bob said:

But the time before (Haifa, I think), the Middle East got sniffles, the insurers got pneumonia, and the stop was cancelled, so that needs to be part of your plan.

This is a point worth emphasizing. I've been reading Cruise Critic for years and I can recall any number of instances of cruise stops being cancelled or changed, even at the last minute for ports in Israel based on various dust-ups that have occurred. You really need to think seriously, as you could plan all of this for naught if your ship cancels its stop(s) there and you cannot disembark. Or at least you need to have a good plan B (as in, the ship continues through the Suez canal and has a stop at Aqaba, where you could leave the ship...)