Tamarind on Koningsdam

jcb91777

New to HAL specialty restaurants, and have reservations for Tamarind on embarkation day 1/2/2020.  I understand there's an additional cost if you order more than 1 entree, but can you order more than 1 appetizer with no additional cost?

6 minutes ago, gbsca2001 said:

Yes you should be fine. We got two apps, a main, and a dessert each last week. 

In previous years (before they reorganized the menu) you could get even more if you wanted. They’re pretty accommodating. Enjoy!

Thanks.

Portions in Tamarind, at least on NS, K's sister ship, were large enough that if you order all the courses you probably won't need an additional entrée.   If you want to sample several main courses, why not ask the waiter/waitress prior to ordering and suggest smaller serving?  You may avoid extra charges perhaps.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

8 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Portions in Tamarind, at least on NS, K's sister ship, were large enough that if you order all the courses you probably won't need an additional entrée.   If you want to sample several main courses, why not ask the waiter/waitress prior to ordering and suggest smaller serving?  You may avoid extra charges perhaps.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, jcb91777 said:

Thanks.

From one Hoosier to another, you will receive dipping sauces for your complimentary shrimp crackers.  Listen carefully as they describe the relative "spiceness" of each and take very small tastes before dipping.  The "very spicey" one could melt my brain and I am living here in New Mexico.

image.png.5309c524ae1563910e5b9cc7c1724a70.png

The Wasabi Tenderloin is my favorite item on the menu and it is not very spicey at all.

Enjoy my favorite restaurant.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The Wasabi Tenderloin is my favorite item on the menu and it is not very spicey at all.

It is DH's favorite too ... and those who do like wasabi can order it with the wasabi on the side, or omitted entirely.

1 hour ago, sevenseasnomad said:

This  ^^^

On both the NS and Koningsdam the portions are big!  I learned after the first time to ask for smaller servings. I thought all the specialty restaurant servings were huge.  

New to HAL (and have only cruised 2 other times) and will be sailing to Koningsdam to Alaska in June.

How do specialty restaurants work? I know there is an additional charge. Is it based on what you order, etc.? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

From the little I've read, Tamarind sounds wonderful!

11 minutes ago, Kfrech said:

New to HAL (and have only cruised 2 other times) and will be sailing to Koningsdam to Alaska in June.

How do specialty restaurants work? I know there is an additional charge. Is it based on what you order, etc.? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

From the little I've read, Tamarind sounds wonderful!

Charges are fixed for all Specialty Restaurants EXCEPT the Sel de Mer  Restaurant on both the Nieuw Statendam and Konigsdam as well as the Nami Sushi Restaurant on all ships where the menus are ala carte.  PG $39 with some items extra, Canaletto $19, Tamarind $25, Sel de Mer on the other ships $49.

Here is a link to the Specialty Restaurant menus as of June 2019:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-specialty-restaurant-menus

Edited by Crew News

FYI, I was able to get a 25% discount at Tamarind the first night when we were on Kdam in June (we are not 3* Mariners). I expect to be able to do the same thing when we are on again in January. I wouldn't expect to be able to get the discount if pre-booked.

We also really enjoyed the food there and look forward to returning (I wonder if the hostess will remember me?). We would have gone a second time but the night we were thinking of going they were doing their Indonesian Rijsttafel menu, and the next (and last) night, we ended up doing a Cruise Critic dinner in the MDR. They had also agreed to give me the discount if we returned.

Edited by MisterBill99