Why Norwegian’s new cruise ships will be much smaller

GA Dave

47 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

yup, i also dont see much of a difference between 3300 and 4000 passengers

Doesn`t sound much but these are 17 %. And 17% is a lot. Just imagine when you are in the buffet restaurant with 700 other people. On the new ships it would be only 580 people. So 120 people less in the same size restaurant.

2 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

Doesn`t sound much but these are 17 %. And 17% is a lot. Just imagine when you are in the buffet restaurant with 700 other people. On the new ships it would be only 580 people. So 120 people less in the same size restaurant.

why are you assuming same restaurant size?

i would think ncl would shrink free restaurant space by 17% or more given how Del Rio reduces  free areas in favor of revenue generating

23 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

why are you assuming same restaurant size?

i would think ncl would shrink free restaurant space by 17% or more given how Del Rio reduces  free areas in favor of revenue generating

Why are you assuming that NCL shrinks the free restaurant space?  To increase the capacities of to-pay-extra restaurants makes only sense if there is enough demand for it. But only because there is more space per passenger does not mean that there are more passengers that are willing to pay extra.

But even then you still have the same amount of restaurant space for 17% less people. So ALL restaurants will be for sure emptier (or less crowded). Just think of all your past cruises and all your meals you had. And just reduce the number of people in these places by 17 % and you know how it will be on Leonardo class ships.

It will be for sure a better experience. But i do assume that the cruises on these ships willl be significantly more expensive then on the other ships of the fleet.

25 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

Why are you assuming that NCL shrinks the free restaurant space?

Experience? :classic_wink:

Being cynical is easy when it comes to NCL. 

27 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

But i do assume that the cruises on these ships willl be significantly more expensive then on the other ships of the fleet.

Experience? :classic_wink:

Being cynical is easy when it comes to NCL.

On 12/6/2019 at 4:14 AM, atom:smasher said:

For me, it is two-bedroom suites - NCL has no competition in that space.

I totally agree that NCL does it right by providing the 2 bedroom suites with 2 BATHROOMS!  It's the bathrooms that get us!  We usually travel with friends or family and having a 2nd bathroom is usually a must as we appreciate space to relax and read in our cabin and we like to dress up for dinner.

On 12/5/2019 at 4:52 PM, Sauer-kraut said:

I don't really see 700 fewer passengers as a big drop.   It all depends on what type of open deck space will be on these ships.

I don't either.  The Leonardo Class will be smaller than the Breakaway Plus class, but they are still mega-ships and 3300 pax at double occupancy is still a lot of people.  So don't make the mistake thinking these new ships are small and intimate.  They are not.  

2 hours ago, 98420934 said:

Is this something that is not really found on other cruise lines?

rcl's oasis class (5500 passengers) has aft loft suites.

it's 2 levels. 1 bedroom/bathroom (shower) in 1st floor and another on the 2nd floor.

2nd floor bathroom is a tub/shower combo.

there's no privacy though.

the 2nd floor is open (ie: loft) and overlooks the 1st floor bed.

on ncl the 2nd bedroom, while smaller, has a door.

Edited by fstuff1