Use of European dyson air wrap on board celebrity reflection

Kidney

7 minutes ago, Kidney said:

Has anybody in the forum used the dyson air wrap on board the celebrity reflection I purchased mine in Ireland so it is a 220 v one 

Howdy and welcome to Cruise Critic! emo22.gif

Thank you for your first new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. However, please note the following information at the top of the first page of this forum:

Note:  This area is intended only for questions and answers relating to technical assistance in using these message boards.  Please do not post general cruise-related questions or Roll Calls here.

Since your thread's topic concerns a particular Celebrity ship, I have moved your thread to the Celebrity Cruises forum where it will be on-topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have or are going to sail Celebrity frequent this forum and should be able to help you here.

Cruise Critic is a great resource and we are so glad you found us! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following stated in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you do start a new thread on any forum, first make sure you are on the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information they will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning one cruise line, ship, port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry. That helps the members to have the information they need in order to help you.

For finding fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you on your cruise, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call .

The Roll Call thread for your cruise is the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before the cruise. Also, your fellow Roll Call members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Your Roll Call thread is the ONLY place on Cruise Critic where you and your fellow Roll Call members may post personal ads about sharing tours, excursions, transportation etc. with each other. There is a "captive audience" since you are all sailing together! emo3.gif You will receive a much better response to your share request if you take some time to read the entire Roll Call thread, post an introductory post about yourself, and continue on to get to know the other members and allow them to get to know YOU first before you post your share request. That is the spirit of our Roll Calls.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to go to our Member Cruise Reviews section and submit your review for publication!

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to a new mwmber and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

🌟 'Tis the season... 🎄 

4 hours ago, Kidney said:

Has anybody in the forum used the dyson air wrap on board the celebrity reflection I purchased mine in Ireland so it is a 220 v one 

I bring my dyson hairdryer. It will not work on the US voltage but there is a European socket so bring a European adapter and all will be fine ! 

I too am relatively new to the Forum, and I am grateful for its vast resource of information...

My question for this thread is, can we bring our own hairdryers aboard as is suggested here? I had read they are already provided in each stateroom (and though I thought I read the ones provided were not all that powerful); but then again, I thought I read that we can't bring hairdryers, nor irons, onboard ourselves. Thank you for you help.

9 minutes ago, lovescarborough said:

Yes you can bring your own hairdryer if you wish. I find the ones supplied in the cabin aren't very powerful and pretty useless for my long, thick hair. You cannot bring irons onboard. Hair straighteners are also allowed.

Thank you, I have two daughters coming on our Cruise on Friday and they will be pleased to know what is and isn't allowed

I have heard reports of Dyson products (particularly the newer ones) not working on ships, and I asked Dyson whether this was due to the floating ground that shipboard electrical systems use, but got no answer.  I believe the Dyson products are different than other hair care appliances, due to the digital motor, so this may mean yours may or may not work.  Also, just know that using more than one high wattage appliance at a time in the cabin may result in a blown circuit breaker (don't know if your two daughters need to dry at the same time).

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Also, just know that using more than one high wattage appliance at a time in the cabin may result in a blown circuit breaker (don't know if your two daughters need to dry at the same time).

Very good point, thank you for memtioning it, as I will to them.

Thanks Guys . Celebrity say there is no problem bringing your own hairdryer . I was just worried about the voltage but apparently there is a 220 v  socket  on the ship . Hopefully the dyson air wrap will work .

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I have heard reports of Dyson products (particularly the newer ones) not working on ships, and I asked Dyson whether this was due to the floating ground that shipboard electrical systems use, but got no answer.  I believe the Dyson products are different than other hair care appliances, due to the digital motor, so this may mean yours may or may not work.  Also, just know that using more than one high wattage appliance at a time in the cabin may result in a blown circuit breaker (don't know if your two daughters need to dry at the same time).

I have never had a problem using my Dyson hair dryer on board since I bought it last fall, but on at least two ships (Reflection and Century) I've had issues using my hair straightener - which is nothing fancy, and I'm sure draws less power than my Dyson - when the ship was underway. It would work when we were still docked so when I wanted to do my hair I'd have to race back up to our cabin to do my hair before we'd leave port. I mentioned it to our butler on Reflection and he even had an electrician come to the cabin to confirm that the outlet I was using was getting sufficient power - very strange!

3 hours ago, Kidney said:

Thanks Guys . Celebrity say there is no problem bringing your own hairdryer . I was just worried about the voltage but apparently there is a 220 v  socket  on the ship . Hopefully the dyson air wrap will work .

Yes, it will be a Schuko, or "Type F" outlet, so you will need an adapter from your Irish "Type G" plug.

1 hour ago, Ginnyfyr said:

I have never had a problem using my Dyson hair dryer on board since I bought it last fall, but on at least two ships (Reflection and Century) I've had issues using my hair straightener - which is nothing fancy, and I'm sure draws less power than my Dyson - when the ship was underway. It would work when we were still docked so when I wanted to do my hair I'd have to race back up to our cabin to do my hair before we'd leave port. I mentioned it to our butler on Reflection and he even had an electrician come to the cabin to confirm that the outlet I was using was getting sufficient power - very strange!

There is a technical reason for this, it has to do with the power conversion for the propulsion system, and poor filtering of the power for the rest of the ship, but I won't go into details.  Interesting, though, and I know the electrician would have no idea about it, unless he discussed it with the electrical engineers onboard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There is a technical reason for this, it has to do with the power conversion for the propulsion system, and poor filtering of the power for the rest of the ship, but I won't go into details.  Interesting, though, and I know the electrician would have no idea about it, unless he discussed it with the electrical engineers onboard.

@chengkp75

Thank You.   I have enjoyed & learned much from your responses, to a wide range of threads/topics over the years.   You are able to provide technical information in an easy to understand format.   This is very much appreciated.  

You remind me of my father.   This is meant as a compliment & not age related. My father was a design engineer w/ a number of patents.   Yet he was always able to communicate / inform / educate, with the proper language, for his target audience.  

Thank you for the knowledge you freely share on CC.  Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas.  

Edited by Von & John

34 minutes ago, Von & John said:

@chengkp75

Thank You.   I have enjoyed & learned much from your responses, to a wide range of threads/topics over the years.   You are able to provide technical information in an easy to understand format.   This is very much appreciated.  

You remind me of my father.   This is meant as a compliment & not age related. My father was a design engineer w/ a number of patents.   Yet he was always able to communicate / inform / educate, with the proper language, for his target audience.  

Thank you for the knowledge you freely share on CC.  Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas.  

I’ll second that!

Your technical explanations are both useful and interesting! CC can, at times be very ‘opinion’ based, at times it is nice to just have the facts...

Thanks for sharing Chengkp75!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...