Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Sad to see on news tonight that there has been loss of life on Kangaroo Island. KI also has a large population of koalas

There was also a report that singer Pink has pledged $500,000 to go directly to support the firefighters.

Good on Pink.

Many celebs/sports people are dedicating money to the efforts, Kyrios is pledging money for each ace he serves, some cricketers for any six's they hit as an example.

1 hour ago, NoWhiners said:

And I hope some will go to the animals. I have read that many thousands have been lost. It is hard to watch our human neighbors lose everything, but the animals (and the forests) suffer as well.

Our daughter is in a rock band and is calling for other bands of similar ilk to join them in Sydney on the 25/26 January and all proceeds will be split between Animal aid and Red Cross ,she’s getting great response.

It is getting to hard to watch the news.

Carole

• Like 2

I see that a lot happened on this thread after I went to bed last night!

I didn't know that the US shared helicopters and firefighters with Australia. I am happy to hear that we are still honoring at least some of our agreements with allies around the world. I read that 12 million plus acres have already burned and that this is more than any one year in the US since Truman.

Very pleased to see all the Australians lined up to help their mates, as it should be. I saw that the Australia Zoo is not under any danger and has helped 90,000 animal victims; they have lost quite a few but have some as well.

When we were on the Amazon (I added 1 pix because it is my favorite of all we took), we saw smoke from some of their fires. It is crazy what they are doing there, intentionally ruining their environment and air, so they can feed cattle. And their president won't do anything to stop it. The Amazon is a critical ecosystem; I fear that our planet is doomed by human interference.

I am hoping for big rain for the affected areas (although I read this isn't likely).  I also hope this comes to an end soon, so much damage already.

one pink dolphin.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It has been devastating.

Authorities have said this season's fires are the worst in Australia's history and that the crisis is likely to last for months. Hundreds of fires are active across the nation with more than 12 million acres of land scorched.

By comparison, fires in Brazil's Amazon burned nearly 5 million acres in the first half of 2019. In Bolivia, officials estimate that nearly 6 million acres of land have been torched since August. In California, nearly 2 million acres burned in fires throughout 2018, according to the state's Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

but we have had bad droughts.. in the 1900's  also in 1974 we have had plenty burnt out as well

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-26/100-years-of-drought/5282030

Australia is a dry continent we will have more fires in future and more floods ..  the main prob is we need to prepare for them ..  we need better equipment ..  we have had el nino and el nina events that add to it as well...  as far as im concerned  its the lack of management by state gov and federal gov ..   they were told and knew we hadn't had much rain , and the bush is dry but choose to ignore it .. they could of got more fire fighting planes , and heli's  ready ahead  of time  , but they the state and federal gov don't want to spend money on anything they cant sell...

look at Sydney and how many people are moving into Sydney , the dam cant cope a couple of bad yrs of rain fall is enough to see the levels drop to less than half..  instead of them spending money on rubbish build new dams, link dams and build pipe lines around the country ,  we been  here before but lack of gov action just brings us back around into the same loop ..

my heart goes out to all who lost there lives in these terrible fires ,  we have lost lives, wildlife , houses ,  and only half way thru summer.. hope some rain comes soon .. .. 

I doubt it would happen but wouldn't it be nice if one of these cruise ships could go down to eden and offer help and refuge to those affected..  

I don't know if it will help or not but the fires down under are getting front page treatment by some of our more-respected newspapers. This is today from the Washington Post. Maybe some international publicity will help?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/australia-fires-intensify-as-prime-minister-calls-up-army-reservists-to-help-contain-crisis/2020/01/04/1ade9670-2e54-11ea-bffe-020c88b3f120_story.html

A quote from that story:

"Saturday was one of the worst days yet in a stretch of dangerous fire weather — blazing heat, parched brush and high winds that topped 60 miles per hour. It was the hottest day on record in metropolitan Sydney, with the town of Penrith hitting 120 degrees, according to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology. The national capital, Canberra, set a record high with a temperature of 110 degrees."

Wow--that is HOT. Does everyone have A/C in these areas? It has to be hard to find a cool spot.

10 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

I don't know if it will help or not but the fires down under are getting front page treatment by some of our more-respected newspapers. This is today from the Washington Post. Maybe some international publicity will help?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/australia-fires-intensify-as-prime-minister-calls-up-army-reservists-to-help-contain-crisis/2020/01/04/1ade9670-2e54-11ea-bffe-020c88b3f120_story.html

Thanks ML, publicity is good as long as it is factual. Some of what I've read from overseas has been inaccurate and not helping. We also don't need international celebrities making unnecessary commentary either. Perhaps instead of opening their mouths, they should follow Pink with her wonderful and very generous pledge and open their wallets.

The article is quite good and reflects what is happening well. The only quibble I have was it stated people were evacuated from coastal towns by navy ship when it was just Mallacoota. But really a good article. Although some of the comments to it were way over the top.

Leigh

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks ML, publicity is good as long as it is factual. Some of what I've read from overseas has been inaccurate and not helping. We also don't need international celebrities making unnecessary commentary either. Perhaps instead of opening their mouths, they should follow Pink with her wonderful and very generous pledge and open their wallets.

The article is quite good and reflects what is happening well. The only quibble I have was it stated people were evacuated from coastal towns by navy ship when it was just Mallacoota. But really a good article. Although some of the comments to it were way over the top.

Leigh

Hi Leigh

Good to know it is factual, hard to tell sometimes but I find WaPo to be mostly accurate. I hadn't read any comments, so I went back and looked. Some are a tad extreme, but they are pretty typical for this paper.

Are you in any imminent danger from any fires? (sent you an email  a few days ago too!)

ML

5 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

A quote from that story:

"Saturday was one of the worst days yet in a stretch of dangerous fire weather — blazing heat, parched brush and high winds that topped 60 miles per hour. It was the hottest day on record in metropolitan Sydney, with the town of Penrith hitting 120 degrees, according to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology. The national capital, Canberra, set a record high with a temperature of 110 degrees."

Wow--that is HOT. Does everyone have A/C in these areas? It has to be hard to find a cool spot.

Probably most people have A/C but it would depend what type, particularly in Canberra which is coping with severe smoke as well as heat. If they have evaporative A/C they would find that the smoke will be coming into their houses. 

Leigh

1 minute ago, NoWhiners said:

Hi Leigh

Good to know it is factual, hard to tell sometimes but I find WaPo to be mostly accurate. I hadn't read any comments, so I went back and looked. Some are a tad extreme, but they are pretty typical for this paper.

Are you in any imminent danger from any fires? (sent you an email  a few days ago too!)

ML

No ML, the closest fires are a couple of hundred kilometres away from us. I'll email you today.

Leigh

Just now, possum52 said:

Probably most people have A/C but it would depend what type, particularly in Canberra which is coping with severe smoke as well as heat. If they have evaporative A/C they would find that the smoke will be coming into their houses. 

Leigh

Good point, I didn't think of that. we use evaporative cooling in NM and smoke would still get in. The really sad part is that there doesn't appear to be an end in sight. I hope the US can send more resources to help. I read that we are but not a lot of reporting on this.

4 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Good point, I didn't think of that. we use evaporative cooling in NM and smoke would still get in. The really sad part is that there doesn't appear to be an end in sight. I hope the US can send more resources to help. I read that we are but not a lot of reporting on this.

Some US firefighters arrived in the last day or so and more are due to arrive during the week. We also have Candian and NZ firefighters helping.

Leigh

49 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

I remember a few years ago there was reports in the American media that the bush fires burned the paint of the harbour bridge.

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Some US firefighters arrived in the last day or so and more are due to arrive during the week. We also have Candian and NZ firefighters helping.

Leigh

Have we sent any of the flying tankers that can drop water and fire retardant on the fires? They may not be easy to move around. Maybe some are on the way but I doubt they can fly all the way, so probably moved via ships???

Have we sent any of the flying tankers that can drop water and fire retardant on the fires? They may not be easy to move around. Maybe some are on the way but I doubt they can fly all the way, so probably moved via ships???

Yes ML, some of the water bombers have been sent as per normal. We also use helicopters as well.

Leigh

this May assist https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/where-is-elvis-the-famous-bushfire-fighting-helicopter/news-story/22aa8b3a3609941733a99f21578d0a57

37 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Not everyone but certainly many do - we don’t all live in grass huts you know! 
There are other options to stay cool - going to the pub being one of them

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

We have a saying in Australia,why spoil a good story by telling the truth.

Or Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story. Been a few if that around these fires, one side making some pretty wild accusations about the greens the other about cuts to RFS funding.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Thanks Mr Gut, that did help. It might be that a lot more of these are needed given the number of fires and area that is burning.

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Still plenty of Aussies with no or limited Air Con, we are fortunate enough to have ducted, but then yesterday it hit 48c here that’s about 119f, today is predicted to only reach about 30

Well, at least 30 is a little closer to normal. But still hot.

2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Not everyone but certainly many do - we don’t all live in grass huts you know! 
There are other options to stay cool - going to the pub being one of them

You don't all live in grass huts???? What??🤣 I thought that's why it's called the bush?

Go to the pub to stay cool--I like the way you think!