Star Princess itinerary change

calmpets

I just spoke to family who is sailing on the Star Princess to Hawaii, and they ended up spending the night in Honolulu last night, due to weather issues. They will be skipping today's scheduled port, which I think was Kauai, and leaving Honolulu today at 5pm. Just fyi for anyone with loved ones on this ship!

4 minutes ago, calmpets said:

I just spoke to family who is sailing on the Star Princess to Hawaii, and they ended up spending the night in Honolulu last night, due to weather issues. They will be skipping today's scheduled port, which I think was Kauai, and leaving Honolulu today at 5pm. Just fyi for anyone with loved ones on this ship!

An overnight in Honolulu. 

I could deal with that.  

image.png.d09a720c90f4950c34258611a844e14b.png

Hawaii is under a "winter" weather advisory with high winds, rain, and small craft warnings.  Nawiliwili is a day time port (navigable during daylight hours only) and very difficult to maneuver in with high winds.  It is likely that the harbor master closed the port to Princess and any other ship docking today.  

Much of Honolulu closes down for Christmas day.  But there are still lots of places to visit and things to do like ride the bus (holiday schedule), beaches, Honolulu Hale, Waikiki, and Chinese restaurants.  

Merry Christmas all.

On the Star now.   There is only a bit of rain, but a heavy wind.   Not many people getting off due to the extreme wind and the city being pretty much closed down.   Interestingly we are using the thrusters to keep the ship pinned to the pier.  We are supposed to sail at 5 pm,  but I am not at all sure they will attempt to maneuver the ship in these winds. I have to think that tendering operations tomorrow in Maui are a bit iffy....oh well, ship happens .

I am on the ship as well.   We are pulling out of Honolulu as I type this.   We had a fabulous day in Honolulu on Christmas Eve.   Today, most of us stayed on board and it seems everyone was having a wonderful Christmas on board.    The crew has been really doing a wonderful job spreading holiday cheer throughout the ship.   Even though we missed a port, it’s still a fabulous Holiday cruise.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if this weather in Honolulu is unusual or not.  We've been in Hawaii many times in January, staying at rentals on two different islands each trip, and the weather has always been glorious.  Perhaps the cruise lines shouldn't go there in Dec. unless this year was an outlier, weather-wise.

I cruised Hawaii last February and we didn't get to Port in Maui due to weather. They had 150mph winds on top of Mount Haleakala and 60 ft seas on the North Shore of Oahu. I was disappointed to spend 2 days at sea instead of Maui but you can't control Mother Nature! We will just have to return to Maui in the future 😊

Here is a live cam from Lahaina.  Enjoy the sunshine.

https://lahainaharborcam.com/live-cam/

No one can predict an exact day forecast.  Like every where else....weather happens.  2019 was an extremely dry summer.  Not much rain at all.  Kauai and Hilo is so lush because they catch most of the rain.  

I was suppose to attend a wedding the last weekend in August 2018 on Kauai.  Hurricane Lane (category 4-5) was heading straight for Oahu and at the last minute made a 90 degree swing toward Kauai.  It was suppose to make landfall on that particular Saturday.  Scrambled to cancel...rescheduled for Oahu...and Lane missed both islands.  

10 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Here is a live cam from Lahaina.  Enjoy the sunshine.

https://lahainaharborcam.com/live-cam/

No one can predict an exact day forecast.  Like every where else....weather happens.  2019 was an extremely dry summer.  Not much rain at all.  Kauai and Hilo is so lush because they catch most of the rain.  

I was suppose to attend a wedding the last weekend in August 2018 on Kauai.  Hurricane Lane (category 4-5) was heading straight for Oahu and at the last minute made a 90 degree swing toward Kauai.  It was suppose to make landfall on that particular Saturday.  Scrambled to cancel...rescheduled for Oahu...and Lane missed both islands.  

Nice! I see the Star's Tender's (oops I mean water shuttles 🙄 operating at the dock).

0068FD2C-CB75-407B-8E14-977DC6A9B912.jpeg

star_bridge.jpg?1577404378979

14 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

I don't know if this weather in Honolulu is unusual or not.  We've been in Hawaii many times in January, staying at rentals on two different islands each trip, and the weather has always been glorious.  Perhaps the cruise lines shouldn't go there in Dec. unless this year was an outlier, weather-wise.

This is unusual. I lived in Honolulu for 15 years. My wife talked to her native-Hawaiian friend Tuesday. She complained about the weather. (She's over 60)