Family of 5 - suggestions needed please! :)

amandalcarlson

We are all over the dart board, giving OP suggestions & ideas ... but, IMHO, it would be helpful if they do a little further research in their long range planning for X'mas 2021 - down to the ship (at least, specific class) and itinerary; and, also, budget-wise as anything goes, and holiday sailings aren't getting cheaper with NCL trending higher.  

Those variables plotted, the next consideration is whether they can handle sharing of 1 bathroom or not; and, perhaps a 2nd. cabin just for sleeping & restroom purposes.  For example, book a large/extended balcony to sleep 3 (take advantage of "kids sail free" promo, if any (not really free) along with other perks) and if able to choose & select cabin location & deck (on the *Away/+ class ships) an Inside, across the hallway ... doesn't "need" to be connecting.   The family OV are nice, relatively spacious - 3 closets vs. 1, two HDTV's but the downside is just one toilet & shower - double sinks, not really as important.  Teens/kids will be almost 2 years older by then - are they the same gender ?? 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 6:25 PM, mking8288 said:

We are all over the dart board, giving OP suggestions & ideas ... but, IMHO, it would be helpful if they do a little further research in their long range planning for X'mas 2021 - down to the ship (at least, specific class) and itinerary; and, also, budget-wise as anything goes, and holiday sailings aren't getting cheaper with NCL trending higher.  

Those variables plotted, the next consideration is whether they can handle sharing of 1 bathroom or not; and, perhaps a 2nd. cabin just for sleeping & restroom purposes.  For example, book a large/extended balcony to sleep 3 (take advantage of "kids sail free" promo, if any (not really free) along with other perks) and if able to choose & select cabin location & deck (on the *Away/+ class ships) an Inside, across the hallway ... doesn't "need" to be connecting.   The family OV are nice, relatively spacious - 3 closets vs. 1, two HDTV's but the downside is just one toilet & shower - double sinks, not really as important.  Teens/kids will be almost 2 years older by then - are they the same gender ?? 

Thank you!

we really don't know yet what we want to do--just trying to find something fairly economical. We will have to fly from Fargo, ND, so air tickets are also going to be a challenge. I'm working with asking a TA for options, but thought I'd start with this forum. It's sounding like we will likely end up going in early January to make  it somewhat affordable.

Kids are 
15 - boy

11 - girl

8 - boy.....

so, not the same gender, and with the older 2 being opposite, they aren't exactly into "sharing" things. LOL. If there are recommendations on cruises that are 'generally' the most affordable (thinking 4-5 nights), I'd take that feedback, too. The feedback on adjoining rooms is great, because I had initially started just looking at suites and thought we would be outpriced immediately.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness!

3 hours ago, amandalcarlson said:

Thank you!

we really don't know yet what we want to do--just trying to find something fairly economical. We will have to fly from Fargo, ND, so air tickets are also going to be a challenge. I'm working with asking a TA for options, but thought I'd start with this forum. It's sounding like we will likely end up going in early January to make  it somewhat affordable.

Kids are 
15 - boy

11 - girl

8 - boy.....

so, not the same gender, and with the older 2 being opposite, they aren't exactly into "sharing" things. LOL. If there are recommendations on cruises that are 'generally' the most affordable (thinking 4-5 nights), I'd take that feedback, too. The feedback on adjoining rooms is great, because I had initially started just looking at suites and thought we would be outpriced immediately.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness!

If you are looking for 4-5 nights in January, there are quite a few options in Jan 2021.  Sun is an older ship that has some and there are plenty of new and mid-aged ships doing some shorter routes.  TBH though, if you are going that far, take a 7 day.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dexddd said:

If ... 4-5 nights in January, there are quite a few options in Jan 2021.  Sun is an older ship that has some and there are plenty of new and mid-aged ships doing some shorter routes.  TBH though, if you are going that far, take a 7 day.

Dexddd is spot on, don't just look at NCL - check & compare all the lines for prices & options.  I'm sure you are aware of wintry flying (non-stop or 1-stop connections) - head for a warm weather port, avoid NY as you will NOT find decent prices, where everything else is more expensive w. hotels, ground transfer, etc. 

With the kids' age/composition, it souded like 2 rooms, adjourning and/or across (an inside to save $$$) plus an extra bathroom would be a more peaceful one - do a little bit of mock booking & select specific deck/cabin to get detailed pricing.  UBP as a (not really) free option is a must for some, not necessary true for parents as role models - if you can book a combo with something else instead and choice of cabins - might just be the winning ticket.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Dexddd is spot on, don't just look at NCL - check & compare all the lines for prices & options.  I'm sure you are aware of wintry flying (non-stop or 1-stop connections) - head for a warm weather port, avoid NY as you will NOT find decent prices, where everything else is more expensive w. hotels, ground transfer, etc. 

With the kids' age/composition, it souded like 2 rooms, adjourning and/or across (an inside to save $$$) plus an extra bathroom would be a more peaceful one - do a little bit of mock booking & select specific deck/cabin to get detailed pricing.  UBP as a (not really) free option is a must for some, not necessary true for parents as role models - if you can book a combo with something else instead and choice of cabins - might just be the winning ticket.  

Wow, that was a real judgemental comment about the UBP for parents. I don’t know how many kids you have, but there is nothing wrong with a few adult beverages for those with children on vacation (especially for those with older kids vs. infants co-sleeping and endangering them). The break even point is under 3 a day with the gratuity.

• Like 2

The Joy has a 7 night eastern Caribbean cruise 1/3/21. The concierge family inside has 2 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms. A family of 5 would run about$5700 total for the week. It also has a virtual balcony window in the sitting room. It comes with all perks.

Edited by hladygirl
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 9:49 AM, amandalcarlson said:

My hubby and I have cruised NCL 4 times and we love it. We're thinking about taking the kids with on a cruise next year (probably over Christmas break sometime). 

What room do we need to book for 5 of us? It's hubby and I, kids are 15, 11, 7.

How do you get the best deal booking this? Wait for a 3rd and 4th guest promo? Do I need to book a suite since we have 5 people? Hubby and I usually stay in a mini-suite, and with 2 of us, I've never had to put thought into where 5 people would sleep.

Thanks for your help!

We have this same dilemma when traveling as a whole group. We ended up getting a 2 bedroom family suite (non-haven) on the Pearl. It was perfect for us—kiddos had their own room, good size balcony, living room area and dining area were perfect for breakfast. Plus concierge and butler? Yes please! We got spoiled.

• Like 1

Two cabins. Ocean view or balcony for the adults. Inside cabin across the hall for the kids, they are plenty old enough.

You will get the benefit of two bathrooms and not having connecting cabins means it won't degrade into one giant room with the kids crap drifting into your room.

• Like 2