How Spicy is Tamarind’s Wasabi and Soy Crusted Beef Tenderloin?

harryw

12 minutes ago, harryw said:

My wife is a fussy eater and we’re contemplating this venue for an upcoming

Koningsdam  cruise.  She doesn’t like spicy dishes.

You will be asked about your level of spiceness when you order and can choose the spicey version or not.  FWIW make sure you understand which of the dipping sauces are very spicey.

image.png.838f8429b1c25d77afec5ca7a495100b.png

Edited by Crew News

It's not spicy.  My husband doesn't like spicy food and he orders this every time.  We think it is the best thing we have ever had on a Holland America cruise!  We also wish Tamarind was on every boat!

19 minutes ago, harryw said:

My wife is a fussy eater and we’re contemplating this venue for an upcoming

Koningsdam  cruise.  She doesn’t like spicy dishes.

Sounds EXACTLY like my DW.  She loves the Tamarind and they always accomidate her.  I have the W. Beef and IMO it is not spicy and is quite good.

I don’t tolerate spicy food well.  I had the wasabi and soy encrusted beef in Tamarind on Nieuw Amsterdam in November. It was excellent and I did not find it spicy. That said it could vary from chef to chef or even day to day. As for the sauces, the one we were told was hottest was less hot than one of the others, my DH loves spicy food and was a little disappointed. 

Edited by imescaping
Spelling error

Thank You for the reassurance. I love spicy food but want the missus to be happy.

This will be our third HAL cruise, the first two were on the Nieuw Statendam. We declined Tamarind then because the revolving menus we saw were disappointing.

But the new permanent one posted on CC seems wonderful. Prior to HAL, we sailed Oceania many times and loved Red Ginger.

Any dessert recommendations? 

I can only echo what others have said. I was hesitant to order it last May but I did it anyway and it turned out to be the best steak I have ever had on a cruise ship. It was truly fantastic. 

My wife did find it spicy, but everyone's tastes are so different. If you are worried just ask not to put wasabi on or make sure they know your limits as others suggested. Here is a photo of my wife's dish.

Edit to add she loved it...

NIEUW STATENDAM - 2019-12-13_19-48-05.jpeg

Edited by LouTheGlue