Zaandam Refurbishment Schedule

Floridastorm

Looking at the April 2020 New England/Canada cruise aboard Zaandam. Some reviews state that the Zaandam needs refurbishment and I guess is scheduled for that soon. Will the refurbishment be completed before or after the April cruise?

Thanks in advance 🤔

Glad you asked that question Florida Storm and thanks for the answer SilvertoGold.....We just booked the 4/21 cruise from Florida to Montreal yesterday and that's good news!

(Funny story, we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam a few years back after her dry dock that included new TV's....but the remotes were left in the Bahamas...Luckily, that was our first stop the next day...problem solved!)

7 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Dry Dock is scheduled for April 7 - 20.  There will be lot a lot of work on the mechanicals, etc of the ship and probably some interior work, too.  Such a nice ship!  Enjoy!

Wow. Right out of the yard and underway from Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal on April 21st. That sure is cutting it close. So glad the refurbishment is before this cruise.

Thanks much for the info.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

Wow. Right out of the yard and underway from Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal on April 21st. That sure is cutting it close. So glad the refurbishment is before this cruise.

Thanks much for the info.

Dave

You should be fine.  Sometimes there are problems right after the DD, but usually not a huge deal.  If you were to report back after your cruise, it would be very well received to hear about how the interiors look!

3 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Glad you asked that question Florida Storm and thanks for the answer SilvertoGold.....We just booked the 4/21 cruise from Florida to Montreal yesterday and that's good news!

(Funny story, we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam a few years back after her dry dock that included new TV's....but the remotes were left in the Bahamas...Luckily, that was our first stop the next day...problem solved!)

I'm going to book today or tomorrow in an Ocean View. I think new TVs are also in the budget for the Zaandam.I see that HAL cut out the Newport stop on this cruise. Wanted to show my wife where I was stationed for a couple of years at the Naval Base before making a Vietnam tours for the next two years. Oh well, went to college in Boston so guess I can show her what I did in my younger and less intelligent days. Will be staying in Montreal for a week and then will take the train to Toronto for a week's stay. Fly back to Orlando from Toronto.

My Best,

Dave

6 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

You should be fine.  Sometimes there are problems right after the DD, but usually not a huge deal.  If you were to report back after your cruise, it would be very well received to hear about how the interiors look!

Will Do and give a trip report also. We did this same cruise about 3 years ago on the Veendam. It's truly one of HALs better cruises IMO. I grew up in New York, went to college in Boston, and my grandparents are from Montreal. So, guess I'm covering all bases. 😎

12 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

I'm going to book today or tomorrow in an Ocean View. I think new TVs are also in the budget for the Zaandam.I see that HAL cut out the Newport stop on this cruise. Wanted to show my wife where I was stationed for a couple of years at the Naval Base before making a Vietnam tours for the next two years. Oh well, went to college in Boston so guess I can show her what I did in my younger and less intelligent days. Will be staying in Montreal for a week and then will take the train to Toronto for a week's stay. Fly back to Orlando from Toronto.

My Best,

Dave

Dave:

We booked an Oceanview guarantee and, as you've seen, the price is very right. 

Our post plan is still in flux...we've been to Montreal but thinking of also heading to Toronto via train and Niagra Falls before returning home.  

We are Floridians as well....further up 75 from you and we may need to find our coats for this trip.

I have not jumped on the roll call yet but will.   We shy away from ship tours so need to start planning.

See you onboard....let's hope they remember the remotes for the TV's!

24 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

Will Do and give a trip report also. We did this same cruise about 3 years ago on the Veendam. It's truly one of HALs better cruises IMO. I grew up in New York, went to college in Boston, and my grandparents are from Montreal. So, guess I'm covering all bases. 😎

Excellent!  Sounds like a great plan you have.  Veendam is nice but I personally like the R class Zaandam better.  Will look forward to your review.

2 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Dave:

Our post plan is still in flux...we've been to Montreal but thinking of also heading to Toronto via train and Niagra Falls before returning home.  

We are Floridians as well....further up 75 from you and we may need to find our coats for this trip.

I have not jumped on the roll call yet but will.   We shy away from ship tours so need to start planning.

I wish I could take advantage of guarantee cabins. However, in my older age I am particular where my cabin is located and how quiet it is. So, have to pay a little bit more. On the Zaandam it seems that there are no balcony cabins only Vista Suite balconies at nearly double the price of an ocean view which leaves us out of the running. Yes it will be chilly, especially in Canada. Don't ever think it really ever warms up there does it? We don't do ship tours and normally just go by ourselves. Have found, even with private tours with others, that you end up not doing much of what you had planned. We stay almost exclusively in AIRbnb properties. Have never had anything but success with them. I'm surprised that many people choose more expensive and a lot less room hotels.

44 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Gotcha....Agree on the $$$ for a balcony.  We find we can afford them on the bigger HAL ships but not going to happen for us on the smaller HAL ships.

I just booked Cabin G2706 on the Main Deck. It's the last cabin aft on the Port Side. Only has one cabin next to us on one side. Above and under decks with cabins only. Should be fairly quiet with a good ride. Has two portholes but that is fine as we are only looking for natural light in the cabin. Used my favorite V to G for $828 PP. Total for both of us $1,756 which is close to

a $450 saving off the HAL price.

25 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

I just booked Cabin G2706 on the Main Deck. It's the last cabin aft on the Port Side. Only has one cabin next to us on one side. Above and under decks with cabins only. Should be fairly quiet with a good ride. Has two portholes but that is fine as we are only looking for natural light in the cabin. Used my favorite V to G for $828 PP. Total for both of us $1,756 which is close to

Awesome! 

That's who I booked with also.....Always find them the lowest price...always.

Do the math per night so that's $75 a night...can't stay at home at that price!

See y'all onboard.

On this ship does one have to make reservations for shows prior to embarkation? How about specialty restaurants? When we traveled this same route on the Veendam I don't remember having to make reservations for much of anything. Not even when we got on board.

1 hour ago, Floridastorm said:

On this ship does one have to make reservations for shows prior to embarkation? How about specialty restaurants?

Shows, no. For the early show you may have to get there a bit early to get a decent seat. 

Specialty restaurants do normally require a reservation, though. You can book them online in advance (payable in advance, too), or wait and book on the ship. Sometimes you can walk up and there is room in the restaurant. More often, there is not. If there is a special day/time you want, then booking in advance is wise. 

On 1/5/2020 at 1:25 PM, FlaMariner said:

Dave:

You know, I completely forgot about Niagara Falls Canadian side. Thanks for mentioning that factor. The train goes there from Toronto. I'm not much for buses.

On 1/5/2020 at 11:36 AM, Floridastorm said:

Excellent.  Small but a nice location.  Glad you got a deal!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

You know, I completely forgot about Niagara Falls Canadian side. Thanks for mentioning that factor. The train goes there from Toronto. I'm not much for buses.

Yea, so this is the plan....

11am VIA train to Toronto and overnight in Toronto.....Then Amtrak the next day to Niagara NY (looks like we can walk across the bridge to the Canada falls side and back) ....Then flying home from Buffalo once we've seen the falls.....Airfares were noticeable lower for us on the USA side vs Montreal and Toronto, BTW.

We've already been to Montreal so just heading to the station after getting off the ship. 

Zaandam apparently is the only one of the R class that have not been converted to lanai rooms on the lower promenade deck.  Will HAL spend the money now to change them over on the 20 year old Zaandam?  Those that follow this know the deck chair availability without lanai's is better.  On another post, I dared suggest Zaandam may be the preferred ship over Amsterdam because of this.

We did the reverse cruise a while ago.  Bad weather but had a great time.  I liked the ship and I was really impressed with the entertainers.  Hope some of the same ones are on this cruise.  I went to the early shows and I went back to the repeat later same  show.  It was a very nice cruise. 

19 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Yea, so this is the plan....

11am VIA train to Toronto and overnight in Toronto.....Then Amtrak the next day to Niagara NY (looks like we can walk across the bridge to the Canada falls side and back) ....Then flying home from Buffalo once we've seen the falls.....Airfares were noticeable lower for us on the USA side vs Montreal and Toronto, BTW.

We've already been to Montreal so just heading to the station after getting off the ship. 

You are correct. I'm amazed that there are quite a few nonstop flights out of Buffalo to Orlando. $91 one way as opposed to $132 one way out of Toronto. Not a huge difference but saving $82 for two people is enough for a meal or two in the Prime restaurants on board.

• 2 months later...

The Zaandam is circling off the coast today. Probably with no passengers. It was supposed to enter DD yesterday. There still is an opening in Freeport but it is not clear if the workers are going to be allowed to do the upgrade.  Stay tuned.