thinking about giving Celebrity a try...

nyc2pdx

I just did my first cruise ever in December, a Haven on the Norwegian Joy.  Yes, I was treating myself.  I couldn't possibly afford to do a suite all the time, but I do love cruising.

I thought I might try Celebrity and see how I like it as it seems to be a more refined line.  Couple of important things I've learned about cruising:  I love sea days, and I love being on the ship.  I like relaxed atmosphere, but a little pampering-no tux, but I don't mind wearing dockers to dinner once in a while.  I hate waiting in endless lines (hence the concierge part), and I could probably spend the entire trip sitting in a deck chair reading my kindle and sipping cocktails.  I love good food, so specialty restaurants are probably good for me, as is buying up on the drinks package.

Looking at a Hawaii to Vancouver BC cruise in April/May, possibly concierge level.  Looks like 5-6 days at sea (whoohoo!).

How do specialty restaurants work?  do you buy a package?  what tend to be the options?  

Is finding a deck chair near impossible?  Are the chair hogs out early?  

I like a more refined atmosphere, good service.   

Do offers get better than the current one with 1 perk?  Ideally, 2-3 perks would be best for me (Internet and drinks are a must).

Thanks for the insight.

Welcome to Celebrity.   I think you will like their product.

Hawaii to Vancouver would be a fantastic cruise for you.   

Specialty dining -  you can either buy packages in advance or wait until on the ship and look for discounts.  On cruises with lots of sea day the specialties usually have plenty of openings if your flexible with time.

Chair hogs really depend on the cruise but I generally find no problem finding a chair unless you want to be directly pool side on the main pool deck.    Many of the ships enforce the no chair hog by removing items left for over 30 minutes without anyone returning. 

For perks -  do some shopping around.    I'm currently finding many with 2 or more and a nice discount if you opt for Non-Refundable.    Best bet is call your agent or celebrity and tell them you want 2 perks or 3 perks.   Many of the agents sites offer pricing for 1-4 perks depending on your needs.

• Like 4

Based on what you said you like, it sounds like X is right up your alley.  It's a really laid back "chill" atmosphere.  You won't find lots (if any) kids running around wild.  No one decorates their stateroom door.  I've never seen anyone leaving dirty dishes in the hall.  It's a more refined ship and atmosphere without being snobby.  You'll love the coffee shop (look for the big yellow "Alice in Wonderland" chairs by the windows on the S class ships (my favorite spot for an afternoon iced latte).  I think X will hit all of your high points.  Hopefully you'll enjoy your first cruise!

8 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

Some people consider port days as sea days, where they stay on board and have an empty ship to themselves.  It’s a different kind of fun. 

That would be me. On my first cruise, I never left the ship and had a fantastic time. I just love being on the ship. 

Depending on the ship, you may not even need the concierge level cabins--a fair amount of X regulars don't think they offer much in the way of extras for what you pay.  I think the only line concierge avoids is during embarkation, but honestly I don't think that helps much--the lines aren't bad anyway.

There should be a sale with four perks starting tomorrow--I'm assuming you have pricing information for the current sale, and can check again tomorrow to see how that compares.

We had our first X cruise last June, second in November, and third booked for November.  I think Celebrity will check off a lot of your boxes!

Concierge doesn’t offer much real value over a regular veranda.  You may want to look at Aqua Class, less expensive than a Suite  but a  separate dining room, Blu, which in our opinion has better food & service than the MDR.  
Check pricing tomorrow when word has it that pricing will include the 4 booking perks- Classic Beverage Package ( tips included), prepaid gratuities, unlimited wi-fi and $300 On Board Credit. 
Whether you book a veranda, Concierge, Aqua or a Suite you will have to wear your Dockers every night if you want to have dinner in one of the dining room or specialty restaurants.  Short at night are fine in the buffet.

16 minutes ago, nyc2pdx said:

I saw mention of an upcoming sale. All 4 perks would be a big sell for me. 

Rumor has it that it starts tomorrow.  Regarding own deck and chairs, I’m not sure what that is referring to, maybe your veranda? If you book, have a wonderful cruise and let us know how you make out tomorrow, Katie

Edited by Oville

4 hours ago, meechee341 said:

Based on what you said you like, it sounds like X is right up your alley.  It's a really laid back "chill" atmosphere.  You won't find lots (if any) kids running around wild.  No one decorates their stateroom door.  I've never seen anyone leaving dirty dishes in the hall.  It's a more refined ship and atmosphere without being snobby.  You'll love the coffee shop (look for the big yellow "Alice in Wonderland" chairs by the windows on the S class ships (my favorite spot for an afternoon iced latte).  I think X will hit all of your high points.  Hopefully you'll enjoy your first cruise!

How many cruises have you been on? Yes, there are often kids around. Yes, people decorate their stateroom doors - my SiL takes a magnetic whiteboard on every trip and changes the message every day as well as special occasion celebrations, etc. Yes, people leave dirty plates in the hall and even the dishes the canapes are served on!

As for the four perks sale starting tomorrow (today), yes, the offer is correct and continues until 1/22. It'll revert to the Double Savings for 1/23-1/29 and then back to the four perks 1/30 thru 2/5. That's as far as my info takes us.