Portable usb fan

KristiK

Hi KristiK -

I have successfully brought my little USB fan in both my carry-on and in checked luggage.  Went to the USB after I had a couple regular fans taken.

I have brought in my USB fan in various ships in Tampa, Port Canaveral, Jacksonville, and Miami.

Hope this helps!

Wendy

I never had any trouble on carnival bringing a bigger fan (about 14” diameter”) box fan (desk fan)...

however on Princess in San Pedro the yellow vests threw a FIT!

said I MIGHT be able to get it back (I need air circulation/white noise to sleep)

got on the ship and went to security desk, they LAUGHED and said “the yellow vests aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed”, and promptly gave me my fan back.

but carnival, no never any problems at all.

It's usually overzealous terminal security who are the problem. They're employed by the port and not Carnival. Sometimes they aren't aware of what Carnival allows, sometimes they're probably just flexing their muscles.

I always take my fan in my carry-on because if they want to cause a fuss about it, I can argue my case that they are, in fact, allowed. However, if you put it in your checked luggage and it gets confiscated, you won't know it until it's too late. My fan is an older 9" portable fan that I got in the Walmart camping section over 10 years ago. It runs on batteries or A/C power, which is how I always use it. It's like new because we only use it on vacations and it's even in the original box. I haven't been questioned thus far, knock on wood.

Thanks everyone,

I was hopding to have one less thing in my carry on (more room for wine lol), but I think I'd rather be sure it will get to my cabin!

Now just have to figure out how to get it on the airplane 🙂

I just have a regular small fan with regular plug in.  We've taken it on past 4 cruises carry on without any problems.  I never knew it was a thing about having one confiscated let alone knew about a USB fan.  My parents have been taking their regular non usb fan for probably the past 10 plus cruises without incident.

1 hour ago, LadyMac72 said:

Is it possible to borrow a fan on the ship instead of bringing one?  

Or can anyone recommend a fairly noisy 12" fan to bring in my luggage?  BF needs to air and the noise.

For noise, we have a "white noise" app on our phone. Use it ALL the time. I prefer the "pink" noise option.

2 hours ago, LadyMac72 said:

Is it possible to borrow a fan on the ship instead of bringing one?  

Or can anyone recommend a fairly noisy 12" fan to bring in my luggage?  BF needs to air and the noise.

On many ships (maybe all?) Guest Services has a limited number of fans to loan out. I think box fans, but don't quote me on that. You can ask as soon as you get onboard. Or talk to your steward.

Mine is an older 9" O2Cool brand from Walmart. I think it puts out a good amount of noise & air. They have updated models nowadays, I'm not sure how they perform.

Edited by Organized Chaos

19 hours ago, SERK said:

Ok, I just read the FAQ on CCL website.  You are allowed to bring on plug in fans (usb or non usb) as long as they are no more than 12" diameter.

Does it specify carry-on vs checked bag?