Celebrity Safety Protocols and Communication process.

cachouonacruise

I am a Canadian Booked on a Millenium Cruise from Hong Kong to Shanghai, with a stop in Tianjin (Beijing) in March 2020.

I am following the news regarding political issues, such as the arrest of two Canadians, demonstrations in Hong Kong and now the Coronavirus.

Have any of you ever experienced a situation where passengers safety could be at risk due to factors out of Celebrity’s control? 

What actions or precautions are taken by the cruise line in such scenarios ( for example, if one of the risk mentioned above were to significantly increase)? Does the cruise line also follow these issues? 

How or when is the information communicated to passengers! What options are typically considered? 

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences or any information you may have.

Celebrity can and will change the itinerary if they deem it necessary due to weather/environmental or geo-political or other issues.  This could mean skipping a stop, replacing a stop with another stop, or possibly even changing the embarkation port.  They would communicate with your or your travel agent as soon as the decision is made, which could literally be any time between now the date of your cruise.  Your comfort level with various situations could be different from theirs, meaning they could make a change you don't feel is necessary, or might not make a change you do feel is necessary. 

• Thanks 1

All cruise lines follow these sorts of situations and change things if they need to. As an example at the end of last year P&O cancelled a whole season in the Middle East and moved the ship back to Europe as there were (potential) issues for UK ships.

Cruise lines will look after their passengers, crew and ships, it does not make business sense not to.

I presume the Canadian government have some sort of official site which outlines any risks and gives advice to citizens (as we do in the Uk) so just keep an eye on that.

Zika virus about 4 years ago and warnings for pregnant women not to travel to certain places.   Celebrity offered to change cruise to a Zika-free location or a full credit towards a future cruise.  In certain cases I think they did give a refund.   A celebrity rep was posting here at the time and he/she posted about it. 

Thank-you all for the feedback. I have more or less planned this trip for 3 other passengers and I wanted to confirm my perception of safety actions normally taken by cruise lines on their behalf.

I am also keeping an eye out on the Canadian Government Travel guidelines.

Thank you!