Mazatlan Stone Island on our own

mslhb

You’ll be perfectly fine.

when you come out of the little “port area” (surrounded by the high wall) make a LEFT, and continue on along the street...all the way until the very end..then keep going (down a dirt road), and you’ll come to a little Shanty shack...give them $2 USD per person (this is the water taxi across the channel to “Stone Island”)

once across, walk straight and you’ll come over a small hill to the beach.

any of the places along it are good.

Dollars are fine, even with most of the vendors. We love Letys...great food and nice people plus loungers and umbrellas to hang out. It is a ways down the beach ...we just keep walking until we see the sign. We love Stone Island!

I'm hoping for a relaxing day at the beach, and this seems like it might be perfect for us (me and my husband and kids 11 and 13). Do you rent the loungers, or are you just obligated to buy food and beverages from the restaurant?

Should I be particularly wary of eating the food and drinking non-bottled beverages?

No, as long as you eat and/or drink you dont have to pay for loungers. We have eaten at Lety's tons of time ( coconut shrimp is great!) plus had drinks with ice like margaritas and no problems. You do have to realize that is is "rustic" ( like stray beach kitties that beg for food) ...but it is always a nice relaxing day. The waves are never huge and so a good swimming beach for kids

5 hours ago, CanadianKLM said:

Should I be particularly wary of eating the food and drinking non-bottled beverages?

I have not had any beverages that were not bottled or canned -- except for coconut water right out of the coconut.  I've eaten on Stone Island with no dire consequences.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, all the places on Stone Island that I have been to, readily accept USD.  Be aware, though, that they don't have to adhere to official exchange rates, so you may end up paying more for your tab if you are paying in USD than you would if you pay in pesos.  As much as 10% or more.  

If we know we are planning to do restaurant beach days at all the ports on our Mex Riviera cruise, we will buy pesos in advance from our bank.  There is a fee, but it is typically offset on our first port.  Or if you are traveling with a group, you can all place one order together to save on fees.  

On 2/23/2020 at 4:42 PM, Lorabelle said:

In my experience, all the places on Stone Island that I have been to, readily accept USD.  Be aware, though, that they don't have to adhere to official exchange rates, so you may end up paying more for your tab if you are paying in USD than you would if you pay in pesos.  As much as 10% or more.  

If we know we are planning to do restaurant beach days at all the ports on our Mex Riviera cruise, we will buy pesos in advance from our bank.  There is a fee, but it is typically offset on our first port.  Or if you are traveling with a group, you can all place one order together to save on fees.  

Thats what we do too. Although on our last trip the bill would have been the same as if we paid with dollars..It also depends on the exchange rate at the time etc  ( my husband is an accountant what can I say?)  I just always figure the locals appreciate  pesos rather than US money

19 hours ago, pinto18 said:

I just always figure the locals appreciate  pesos rather than US money

I once had someone pay me in German Marks.  What a pain it was for me to get those marks into US dollars!  I am sure the locals prefer pesos over dollars! 

In fact, right now, I still have Euros left over from my Med cruise in July.  I don't want to take the loss, so I keep postponing the exchange.

40 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I once had someone pay me in German Marks.  What a pain it was for me to get those marks into US dollars!  I am sure the locals prefer pesos over dollars! 

In fact, right now, I still have Euros left over from my Med cruise in July.  I don't want to take the loss, so I keep postponing the exchange.

You will just have to take another trip to Europe!