Onboard Riviera...disappointment

don731

While our cruise so far has been wonderful in most respects, we are extremely disappointed by the lack of follow up on the policy regarding saving pool deck chairs.  On the first sea day, at least 10 chairs have been reserved by throwaway stuff like a bottle of water,  for over an hour with no one in sight.  The table that the crew uses to remove personal items to is there, with its bucket of little signs they put on the chairs to inform the errant guests, but the crew is not actively working the issue.  We left Princess in part due to the lack of actually following their policies...don’t have a policy if you’re not going to follow it.  Hoping that Oceania will do better. 

• Like 1

I hope you do follow up!

We had left some things on our deck loungers on Princess, and then got sidetracked and help up...  When we got back, the staff had removed our things and new passengers were enjoying the chairs.  

Hopefully this is a hit or miss type of thing.  Seems like sometimes the staff are more likely to take the time to monitor the deck and follow policy, and sometimes not.  

I myself would not rule out moving some of these things, like water bottles and $1.00 flip-flops if I did see that they had been left for some time, and were just being used as chair-savers by the chair hogs.

I hope you continue to have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

We did move the stuff, and of course the people showed up 30 mins later (their friends had thrown stuff on several chairs), resulting in an unfriendly chat with them.  I don’t like doing the job of those who are paid to do it.  Otherwise the cruise has been great.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, don731 said:

I don’t like doing the job of those who are paid to do it.  Otherwise the cruise has been great.  

Seriously

Just  ask a crew member to remove the items  that have been there for over 45 mins

Next people will be complaining they cannot get a drink because  deck staff are too busy placing cards on the chairs & removing items🙄

• Haha 2

I wish you had made your topic title more specific. Unless you read the post, the impression is that you are disappointed with Riviera in general. I could figure out why. We were on her in November for 16 nights and had a wonderful time. The few minor glitches (the only significant one involving the cruise director) were rectified after a comment.

• Like 3

We complained about this issue on Riviera in December - on our mid-cruise survey. Had a call from the concierge (about this and other issues we raised) but I didn't notice them actually getting better about solving the problem (was a 14 day holiday caribbean cruise - the pool chairs were saved pretty much every day, including people saving one in the sun and one in the shade, one for a missing spouse etc.) Very annoying that the table (with the chair signs etc) was there for a few days, then moved (they needed the space?) then back again - but not actually being used to remove things from saved chairs....

• Like 1

We received a call from senior staff today who apologized and said they had received over a dozen complaints about this issue on the mid cruise survey and are taking direct action to follow the policy.  It was highlighted in today’s Currents, with a clear statement that items will be removed. Kudos for their response!  Otherwise the cruise has been outstanding. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, don731 said:

We received a call from senior staff today who apologized and said they had received over a dozen complaints about this issue on the mid cruise survey and are taking direct action to follow the policy.  It was highlighted in today’s Currents, with a clear statement that items will be removed. Kudos for their response!  Otherwise the cruise has been outstanding. 

Great to hear.

Please let us know if the issue improves.

17 hours ago, don731 said:

It was highlighted in today’s Currents, with a clear statement that items will be removed. Kudos for their response!  Otherwise the cruise has been outstanding. 

It is always noted in the Currents  along with no cell phones in the dining rooms  

but who read the Currents  not those that are too special to abide by the rules 🙄

if you were disappointed  with  people leaving items on the chairs   you would love  this  

where the crew actually helped pax  build their nests  for the day  

even when Pax complained  Crystal backed off on clearing the  nests away even when empty for hours 

the nesting culture

nice  comfy sun bed  (if you can score one)

Ha!  We don’t really care what the policy is, just that it’s followed by the organization making the policy.  You can’t expect your guests to do what you won’t do.  Disney gets this (for the most part). 😀😀😀😀

I am happy to see your update!

Hopefully the above was tongue In cheek!  I see you sailed on Coral Princess.  Has been a great ship in many ways, but def a smaller and older ship, and not the experience it could/should be.   (I can say that our experience in the MDR was just excellent!  But that was before the cutbacks and changes last year)

I do hope you are having a really great cruise on the Riviera.  We are looking at the Marina as a first on Oceania.

I would love to hear some detailed reports/comparisons and feedback!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star

Riviera is simply outstanding.  Excellent food and service.  Being larger, not quite as personal as the Azamara Journey, but we will look for a great itinerary on one of Oceania’s R ships.   The Coral was beautifully appointed but came out of drydock the day we began our cruise, with many items not completed.  Promenade Deck full of pallets of carpet, many IT boxes and holes in the ceiling just lying around.  But still a great trip through the canal!  We are very much enjoying the more refined experience here on Riviera.