What choices are there for a vegetarian?

yvrbos

I have read a bit about vegetarian options but I am wondering what people’s experiences are? Were you given a choice other than pasta in the MDR? I would like to eat something other than salad and pasta if at all possible! I will be aboard the Summit. 

thanks for your help!

My experience relates to the Reflection MDR. The vegetarian choices were uninspired and heavily carbohydrate based. Pasta was very much in evidence and we had to request the additional vegetarian menu every night as our waiter didn’t bring it. Even with the additional choice the variety of food was disappointing. I would have loved there to be more options using beans , legumes, plant based proteins and more creative use of vegetables. If  you eat fish you will have a better range of choices but our first cruise on Celebrity left us feeling that they didn’t have a very creative understanding of a balanced vegetarian diet. 
The buffet had more options but I didn’t really want to eat on my own every night while the rest of the group were in the MDR! Hope it works out better for you. 

It isn't an ideal scenario but you can ask for side dishes to be served as main dishes or for more than one side dish at a time.   If you search the forum, or google it,  you will get the menus so you can have a look and see if it sounds like it is to your taste.  Having had a quick check on menus from Sihouette recently in a 10 day period only 2 vegetarian entrees were pasta based.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, yvrbos said:

I have read a bit about vegetarian options but I am wondering what people’s experiences are? Were you given a choice other than pasta in the MDR? I would like to eat something other than salad and pasta if at all possible! I will be aboard the Summit. 

thanks for your help!

Not sure the reason you would think that 'pasta' is the only pasta available for vegetarian aboard any cruise line.

You can receive the next nights dinner menu the night before to make your selections OR you can let the Chef decide what to prepare, in the MDR.

You will find in OVC a wide variety of 'vegetarian' and/or vegan items available to consume. More often than not these items are labeled too.. If not, a staff member will be more than happy to assist in your decision and deciphering what is vegetarian or not or whatever other allergy one may need or want to avoid.

This will be for all X ships and dining venues, even when there 'appears' that there is nothing on the menu, go to the venue and request at least 24 hours in advance if possible,

bon appetit and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cat4158 said:

My experience relates to the Reflection MDR. The vegetarian choices were uninspired and heavily carbohydrate based. Pasta was very much in evidence and we had to request the additional vegetarian menu every night as our waiter didn’t bring it. Even with the additional choice the variety of food was disappointing. I would have loved there to be more options using beans , legumes, plant based proteins and more creative use of vegetables. If  you eat fish you will have a better range of choices but our first cruise on Celebrity left us feeling that they didn’t have a very creative understanding of a balanced vegetarian diet. 
The buffet had more options but I didn’t really want to eat on my own every night while the rest of the group were in the MDR! Hope it works out better for you. 

It sounds like you only saw what was on the menu what you thought might be the only offerings and that is not the 'usual'  for X.

Being a vegan and never really enjoying many of the 'uninspired' pre-selected items, I let the Chef decide what they wish to prepare what is NOT on menu. 90%+ of the time I have been greatly satisfied with the presentation and creativity.

Risotto, lasagna, pasta made from vegetables, stuffed squash are a few of the dishes which were not on the menu yet prepared for me.

They are only limited by the types of ingredients aboard and your imagination for the asking.

The only reason one of the many 'specific' dietary requests will not be made is due to their not speaking up and requesting something different and provide an idea as to what works good for you or the eater, especially in the MDR.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your thoughts. I would prefer to eat in the MDR. It seems like a nice venue in which to relax with your loved one after a busy day. 

Unfortunately I don’t eat fish. 

Is there a vegetarian menu?

Thanks for your help! 

3 minutes ago, yvrbos said:

Thank you for all your thoughts. I would prefer to eat in the MDR. It seems like a nice venue in which to relax with your loved one after a busy day. 

Thanks for your help! 

Yes, a vegetarian menu is available in the MDR on all Celebrity ships.  My wife is gluten free and often orders off the vegetarian menu .  You can ask the waiter to see what will be on the menu the following day.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

It sounds like you only saw what was on the menu what you thought might be the only offerings and that is not the 'usual'  for X.

Being a vegan and never really enjoying many of the 'uninspired' pre-selected items, I let the Chef decide what they wish to prepare what is NOT on menu. 90%+ of the time I have been greatly satisfied with the presentation and creativity.

Risotto, lasagna, pasta made from vegetables, stuffed squash are a few of the dishes which were not on the menu yet prepared for me.

They are only limited by the types of ingredients aboard and your imagination for the asking.

The only reason one of the many 'specific' dietary requests will not be made is due to their not speaking up and requesting something different and provide an idea as to what works good for you or the eater, especially in the MDR.

That’s really useful to know. Thank-you.
From what you have said it would appear we had a less than interested waiter as he had to be reminded to bring the vegetarian menu to the table almost every night and he stood back and watched while we tried to mix and match soups and salads from the starter menu when there wasn’t a suitable main course. My feelings now are that he could have made this suggestion to us but chose not to.

Would you suggest that I speak to the head waiter on the first night for future cruises? 

Edited by Carol4158

4 minutes ago, Carol4158 said:

From what you have said it would appear we had a less than interested waiter as he had to be reminded to bring the vegetarian menu to the table almost every night and he stood back and watched while we tried to mix and match soups and salads from the starter menu when there wasn’t a suitable main course. My feelings now are that he could have made this suggestion to us but chose not to.

Would you suggest that I speak to the head waiter on the first night for future cruises? 

Yes, that is always ideal to start just in case your waiter or server is not being pro-active.

If you find that the waiter is not pro-active after the second dining night speak with the Maitre d' and things will change or you can request a different wait staff.. then you will gain a great deal of input and attention, for sure. Very few waiters want the mark of a dissatisfied diner on their record...

You will be good to go... also, ask for the next nights menu if not automatically offered before leaving the MDR so you will be able to order or not from it. If nothing appeals to you, then have in mind something you would enjoy having them prepare....

Think of it as your personal chef, as I do...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Carol4158 said:

Absolutely!  If you are not receiving good service the head waiter or host/hostess should be notified.  We also notify them when we receive good service!  It usually takes a day or two for our waiter (and other serving staff) to remember that we have special dietary needs and that we don't drink wine but that makes sense.  If the service is unacceptable the host/hostess can seat you in another section.

Just now, Prost Seattle said:

So I’m not vegetarian, but I enjoy vegetarian food, and I choose to eat vegetarian at least two days a week.  Would it be obnoxious of me to ask to also have the vegetarian menu each night?

Not at all.... most often it is included with the regular menu, although there are dining venues on ships which have a separate vegetarian menu.

If it is not included, ask for it every night to see what is being offered regardless of when you choose to eat vegetarian.

Thanks for all of the responses. I would like to have something a bit more than the typical salad or steamed veggies. I am trying to avoid carbs so potatoes and pasta are not at the top of my list of go tos.

Does anyone have any idea what is on the vegetarian menu? Is it the same menu everynight?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, yvrbos said:

Thanks for your help! 

My wife is a vegetarian but does eat some seafood. We just got back and she had no issues finding plenty to eat without even using the vegetarian menu.  

That said remember they will bring you what you want in the MDR. I always look through the whole menu for attractive sides and appetizers and just ask for them.  
min a given night you should be able to find plenty of items to choose from.   

• Thanks 1

A couple of things from our experience:

- there is not a completely distinct vegetarian menu, there's some cross over with the normal menu options. We found that the vegetarian options on the normal menu were always better than the vegetarian menu specific options 

- they can modify some of the dishes. One day I got a carbonara without the bacon, for example.

• Thanks 1

I found this link in a different discussion. I’m so grateful to ‘profcruise’ for taking the time to collate all of this. The menus are similar to our recent cruise. On Reflection we weren’t always offered the separate vegetarian menu  but I know now to ask for it, or to request that something else is prepared for us. Hopefully it will give you a good overview of what’s available.  

https://profcruise.com/celebrity-menus/

Edited by Cat4158
Typo!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for all of the responses. I would like to have something a bit more than the typical salad or steamed veggies. I am trying to avoid carbs so potatoes and pasta are not at the top of my list of go tos.

Does anyone have any idea what is on the vegetarian menu? Is it the same menu everynight?

Thanks!

The menus rotate, so no guarantee on what your sailing rotation is..

Again, if there is something which you do not desire just let the waiter know and guess what, you will not get it. If there is something you want and it is not on the menu, guess what, in all likely hood you can get it.

I recommend not stressing over the menus and what they do or do not show and what you may or many not like or enjoy....

Someone will post a menu or two, I Am sure.

Thanks!

What would you like to eat?