Sorta' funny laundry story--with a warning

OHCruiser

We just returned from a cruise on the Eurodam. 

About 6 days into the 10 day cruise, we sent out a small load of laundry that included 3 cotton/poly men's shirts, each with 2 zippered pockets.  24 hours later, they came back looking fabulous. 

On day 8, hubby puts on one of the shirts and tries to open a pocket..........not gonna happen because the zippers won't budge.  He goes on to try the other two shirts and has the same results.  I try all 3 shirts and come to the conclusion that the zippers are permanently fused shut, likely as a result of ironing.

Now, these same 3 shirts were laundered on the Veendam in August and we had no issues, so I'm pretty unhappy.

I called Guest Services and they ask that we bring them the shirts.  Nothing to lose, but I'm not optimistic--these particular shirts were hard to find and DH loves them.  8 hours later the shirts are returned with a pockets working just fine. 

We never got an explanation, but I'm pretty sure that I figured out the problem--a combination of damp starch & iron heat resulting in a temporary glue!  Rewashing & pressing without starch fixed everything.

So, needless to say, I'll be definitely asking for NO STARCH when sending these out again--and I'll never forget to take zippers & starch into account ever again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Indeed starch introduces a new element into the laundry process.

Shirts and pants are not normally ironed by the ship laundry, rather they are fitted over an inflatable mold and given a few seconds of steam to remove wrinkles. 

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-behind-the-scenes/IMG_3217.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

Shirts and pants are not normally ironed by the ship laundry, rather they are fitted over an inflatable mold and given a few seconds of steam to remove wrinkles. 

This might be the reason that pleating of trousers has to be asked for. Thank you for publishing the photo. Interesting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

Indeed starch introduces a new element into the laundry process.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-behind-the-scenes/IMG_3217.jpg

Can they do this with one's partner too? 😉

Edited by Alphen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5