Princess transfers in Anchorage

RedE2Go64

Princess transfers aren't sold through other parties - it's a Princess transfer so it is purchased through Princess and only runs the days Princess has a ship in port. If you want to book a non-Princess transfer, there are companies who run the same route on ship days. Those you can buy elsewhere.

Idaho answered the question.  I just want to add that I was very happy with the Princess transfer.  Our luggage was locked up at the airport and we were taken to downtown Anchorage, where our carry-on bags were checked and we were free to wander or tour until we were shuttled to the airport for our flights.  Very well done!

Have you set up your online account on the Princess website?  When you do, you will be able to purchase the transfer there.  Or your travel agent can do it for you.  The transfer is probably located within the excursions.  EM

1 hour ago, RedE2Go64 said:

Thank you for the info. We have reservations for cruise through a travel agent. So we need to contact Princess directly to purchase the transfer, is that correct?

When you use a travel agent that person becomes your Princess contact. She/he will purchase the transfer for you. There are some things you still can contact Princess directly about but the transfer is not one of them.

Edited by idahospud

Tip regarding getting to Whittier. If you want to look like a seasoned Alaskan traveler maximizing their time in Alaska, consider getting to Whittier in time for an afternoon Prince William Sound Glacier cruise. You get closer to glaciers on this tour than you will get on the cruise ship. You get on the Princess ship by dinner time.

10 hours ago, RedE2Go64 said:

Thank you for the info. We have reservations for cruise through a travel agent. So we need to contact Princess directly to purchase the transfer, is that correct?

No, you can (and should) go through your TA.

Thank you all for your help.  I was hoping to ride a train to whittier from Anchorage, but it seems like it is a bus. I asked my TA about it and she said they won't know which it is until it gets closer to our travel date. So does Princess offer both options?

46 minutes ago, RedE2Go64 said:

Thank you all for your help.  I was hoping to ride a train to whittier from Anchorage, but it seems like it is a bus. I asked my TA about it and she said they won't know which it is until it gets closer to our travel date. So does Princess offer both options?

Yes, there are two options but the train frequently sells out. The price for the train is higher so I’m not sure why your TA is telling you she won’t know what kind of transportation you’ll be taking. You either pay for the bus or train as a separate transfer or as part of a cruisetor. 

Edited by idahospud

We departed from Whittier and wanted to get there early, to take a pre-cruise glacier tour of Prince William Sound / College Fjord.  Well worth it!!!   (I don't believe Princess has any transfers that run that early.)

Simple to go hop on the train.  Delivers you right to where you need to be.

You check your luggage when you board the train, and it will transferred to the ship and to your cabin.

Sorry I don't  have a link to the railway web-site handy.

Edited by Wishing on a star

15 hours ago, idahospud said:

Yes, there are two options but the train frequently sells out. The price for the train is higher so I’m not sure why your TA is telling you she won’t know what kind of transportation you’ll be taking. You either pay for the bus or train as a separate transfer or as part of a cruisetor. 

Unfortunately, I didn't realize that my TA didn't know as much about Alaska cruising as I thought she did. She seemed knowledgeable enough when I booked it, but when I started digging deeper and wanting more details, I realized that she just knew very surface information. I've learned more on this CC board and realize there are a lot of details that she can't help me with (or I feel uncertain about trusting her information blindly). 

I wondered why the quote she gave me was $88 for transfers in Anchorage AND Vancouver, when the one way train from Anchorage to Whittier was more than that. Your  answer explains that....she must have been quoting for a bus transfer, not a train.

I will ask her about it, again. Thank you.

3 hours ago, RedE2Go64 said:

Unfortunately, I didn't realize that my TA didn't know as much about Alaska cruising as I thought she did. She seemed knowledgeable enough when I booked it, but when I started digging deeper and wanting more details, I realized that she just knew very surface information. I've learned more on this CC board and realize there are a lot of details that she can't help me with (or I feel uncertain about trusting her information blindly). 

I wondered why the quote she gave me was $88 for transfers in Anchorage AND Vancouver, when the one way train from Anchorage to Whittier was more than that. Your  answer explains that....she must have been quoting for a bus transfer, not a train.

I will ask her about it, again. Thank you.

And while you're asking, tell her to cancel the Vancouver transfer. There are zero circumstances when they are worth it - there is no quality improvement, indeed usually it's the opposite, to offset the significant financial hit compared to arranging it yourself.

This isn't a Princess dig - all cruise lines screw over all passengers in Vancouver on transfers, the margins are simply insane. If the same markups that are applied to them were applied to a loan, they would actually be illegal in Canada. A solo can pay for a porter at the pier and at the airport and take a private shuttle - and save money. Or take their very own cab to the airport if they don't care about fuel efficiency. A couple can take a cab and save half the cost of transfers. Now we have Uber/Lyft, they would be even cheaper than a cab. For 3+ people - a limo is cheaper than a cruiseline transfer! And if you have a precruise hotel through your line, a US$22-29 transfer that's part of a package could be replaced by taking the elevator downstairs, or walking across the street, or at worst a cab fare of CAD$15 if you're in the furthest-possible-from-the-pier downtown hotel.

Your own cabs or limos will also depart when you get in, no waiting around for a bus to fill up... and if you are running late for the ship/have an early flight booked home, SkyTrain is the reliably-fastest way, no matter how busy the pier is (and as little as $2pp, at most $9.25pp). The first cruise buses won't get to YVR until 9:30am or later - go by cab or SkyTrain and you could be sitting at your gate with a Timmies, while all the poor schmucks who assumed their TA/the line would treat them right get stuck with check-in, bag drop, Security and Preclearance queues that end up costing them 2 hours of their life due to the massive crowds rolling in on those buses in a big clump.

2 hours ago, martincath said:

And while you're asking, tell her to cancel the Vancouver transfer. There are zero circumstances when they are worth it - there is no quality improvement, indeed usually it's the opposite, to offset the significant financial hit compared to arranging it yourself.

Wow...thank you for all that info. I really had not even considered that the transfer in Vancouver wasn't useful. 

22 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

We departed from Whittier and wanted to get there early, to take a pre-cruise glacier tour of Prince William Sound / College Fjord.  Well worth it!!!  

This sounds interesting!

55 minutes ago, RedE2Go64 said:

Wow...thank you for all that info. I really had not even considered that the transfer in Vancouver wasn't useful.

No problem - until you visit, or unless you ask the right questions on travel fora in advance, it's just not the kind of thing folks tend to think about. Which is why it's such a money-spinner for the cruiselines!!! Like buying popcorn at a cinema, they're laughing all the way to the bank until folks do some research and make informed choices.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, martincath said:

No problem - until you visit, or unless you ask the right questions on travel fora in advance, it's just not the kind of thing folks tend to think about.

Your advise is always appreciated....thanks.

Do you have any suggestions for a same day transfer from Whittier to Seward ?

There is no real rush as have a full day to accomplish this, but would prefer not to spend the night in Anchorage 

Edited by Tranquility Base

4 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Your advise is always appreciated....thanks.

Do you have any suggestions for a same day transfer from Whittier to Seward ?

There is no real rush as have a full day to accomplish this, but would prefer not to spend the night in Anchorage 

You're very kind. I have waaaaaaaay less experience on the other end of things, but realistically you're renting a car if you want flexibility in your route choices/stops, though you can take a bus to get between Whittier and Seward - in summer the local coach companies run direct buses, e.g. Seward Bus Lines. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that it's literally just Seward-Whittier, not the reverse!

Most folks doing a B2B use cruiselines out of the same port, or break up their cruises with land in-between, so there just doesn't seem to be much demand for travel between the two ports. If you don't want to drive or can't find a rental that doesn't cost a fortune, you may have to get a morning bus or train to Anchorage then jump on the 2pm  bus to Seward - departures southbound are late in the day so arriving at 5pm should be fine, but it's an awfully inefficient way to go with a lot of doubling-back.

1 hour ago, martincath said:

you may have to get a morning bus or train to Anchorage then jump on the 2pm  bus to Seward - departures southbound are late in the day so arriving at 5pm should be fine, but it's an awfully inefficient way to go with a lot of doubling-back.

Many thanks.

Yes, I was expecting that and am prepared to do this if the timings work.

Thanks for the Seward bus prompt.