New to Celebrity - Alaska?

kstetser

We have been sailing with DCL forever.   About 1/2 of those sailings in concierge the rest in a veranda cabin.    Their prices are pushing us out and now that our daughter is a teen, Celebrity seems like the obvious choice for us.  Service and food are super important to all of us and we want a new cruise line with interesting and varied itineraries   I'm looking at Alaska on the Solstice for August 2021 in a Celebrity Suite.  I see that the ship is due for a total upgrade in October.  Should I wait another year for the refreshed ship?   Any thoughts you might want to share with me regarding this ship and Alaska on Celebrity?  I've sailed 20 times - but all I know is DCL.    

Thanks in advance for your input.

Kathi

6 minutes ago, kstetser said:

We have been sailing with DCL forever.   About 1/2 of those sailings in concierge the rest in a veranda cabin.    Their prices are pushing us out and now that our daughter is a teen, Celebrity seems like the obvious choice for us.  Service and food are super important to all of us and we want a new cruise line with interesting and varied itineraries   I'm looking at Alaska on the Solstice for August 2021 in a Celebrity Suite.  I see that the ship is due for a total upgrade in October.  Should I wait another year for the refreshed ship?   Any thoughts you might want to share with me regarding this ship and Alaska on Celebrity?  I've sailed 20 times - but all I know is DCL.    

Thanks in advance for your input.

Kathi

All the ships on X are beautifully maintained. We mostly cruise with Celebrity because the food is usually excellent. Even the Oceanview Cafe has several cook to order stations that are super. Any problems and the staff immediately takes care of any issues.

Give them a try.

As to the current refubishments, like most I find some things better and miss others that went away. I would not wait.

• Like 1

I wouldn't wait.   If the Retreat Sundeck is of importance (which you may have little opportunity to enjoy on an Alaska cruise) you might look at Millennium.   She is a smaller ship but was the first to go through revolution.

• Like 2

Can someone tell me the difference in level of service/amenities between Sky Suite and Celebrity Suite?  Clearly one is larger, but does it come with other benefits?  Right now there are no Sky Suites open on the sailing we are interested in (except far aft and that is not a good place for me with motion sickness).  Would they take the table out and add a third chair on the Sky Suite balcony?

Also - is there a preference for port vs. Starboard when sailing from Seattle?  (I can ask this on the Alaska board as well.)

Thanks to those who have already responded. There is nothing like first-hand information from people who love to cruise!

Kathi

43 minutes ago, kstetser said:

Can someone tell me the difference in level of service/amenities between Sky Suite and Celebrity Suite?  Clearly one is larger, but does it come with other benefits?  Right now there are no Sky Suites open on the sailing we are interested in (except far aft and that is not a good place for me with motion sickness).  Would they take the table out and add a third chair on the Sky Suite balcony?

Also - is there a preference for port vs. Starboard when sailing from Seattle?  (I can ask this on the Alaska board as well.)

Thanks to those who have already responded. There is nothing like first-hand information from people who love to cruise!

Kathi

In Alaska I recommend an aft cabin because you head up the inner passage and they have a running commentary of the sights. Often there is wildlife that may not be there on the way back.

if there are no aft cabins available I always recommend Starboard because all the outside smoking areas are port.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, kstetser said:

Kathi

We have often sailed Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites.  We were in a Celebrity Suite on Solstice two years ago.  It was very nice and I would not worry about sailing prior to the ship refurbishment.  It will still be nice.  To answer your question, both Sky Suites and Celebrity suites enjoy exactly the same level of benefits on board (Suite Lounge/Michael's Club and Luminae, butler service, etc. all included).  There is a comprehensive list of suite amenities and suite comparisons on the Celebrity website.  All suites on most sailings come with premium Bev, Gratuities, WiFi, and OBC.  The main difference between a Sky and Celebrity suite is size of suite and balcony.  But some sky suites have larger balconies like the corner AFT sky suites.  Other than that, in a Celebrity Suite, you get more Captain's Club Points per night.  Also you might get a pre-cruise call from the shore-side concierge.  That's about it.  Only the premium suites (above the CS) have enhanced on board benefits.

• Like 2

We took our first Celebrity cruise last June on the Solstice in Aqua class, and we loved it!  We are soon going on the Magic to finally complete our grand slam....just in time before the new ships, but I'm actually wishing I had a Celebrity sailing instead.  I'll make up for it in 2021.  

One thought....maybe go now to experience Solstice "the way it was".  I'm guessing it won't be your last Celebrity cruise to then experience "the improved".    

Even though we live in Alaska we do Alaska cruise itineraries periodically.   Other passengers seem to think that finding an Alaska resident on an Alaska cruise itinerary to be absolutely hilarious.  We have become used to the reaction through the years.

But have you considered the Eclipse itineraries out of Vancouver or the Millennium one way (Vancouver to Seward or vice versa) cruises ?  We actually did a Solstice Alaska itinerary cruise out of Seattle last summer because the cruise timing worked well with other Seattle plans, but the Millennium and Eclipse  itineraries are much superior to those out of Seattle.

• Like 1