Cruise ships refused permission to visit ports outside Asia

3 hours ago, banzaii said:

Who said everythings fine!  I'm just pointing out that cruise ships are being over-represented in both the media and government messages as a cause of Covid-19 spread.  

So I'm burying my nose in the sand, am I?  What part of the health sector did you say you work in?

And my perspective is they are legitimately calling them out as yet another area to be aware of. 

I certainly haven't seen any overrepresentation in government messages.

As for the media, people love drama, hence Married at First Sight and similar, and so this just plays to that. The daily Mail isn't just going to give you updates on Senate Estimates... Basically, some of the media just give the public what they're interested in, so all you're commenting on is natural human tendency. Look even at this site: what is the first and only alert messages at the top of the page ever been about? 1) An excessive number of coronavirus threads, and 2) posts on coronavirus where they aren't necessary.

So yes, trying to claim it's more than can be expected is a bit much.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Why not as long I'm not confined to my cabin.

I dont even mind that in Q3 Penthouse on QE in fact I dont care if its 11 sea days 

Regards 

John

PS as long as the butler service is maintained !  -{

Edited by VK3DQ

News in from P&O UK section of CC that Arcadia currently in Fremantle on her World Cruise will have to sail direct from Freo to Southampton, 35 days at sea, apart from bunkering and provisions at a couple of places. No passengers permitted off at any port.   Not many countries want the ships !!

Edited by NSWP

20 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

With the latest spread of the coronavirus, I am wondering how Princess will manage the world cruise, due to depart from Sydney on 12th May. A few of the ports are now closed and it is possible more will close.

I am tipping the 12th May Princess Worldie will be cancelled, too many closed ports.  Only 2 months to go.

Edited by NSWP

11 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

I dont even mind that in Q3 Penthouse on QE in fact I dont care if its 11 sea days 

Regards 

John

Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of cruising in a Q3 penthouse on the QE. We're booked on her in January but only a steerage cabin. 

But, yes, you would need the butler service. 🤣

Regards 

John

Take ye olde Dinner suit and tuxedo John, otherwise you will get the 'Stare' from the posh Brit Cunarders.

Oddly enough I haven't heard much about Mediterranean ports being closed. Italy probably but more because the whole country is in lockdown now, but no mention of other major ports banning ships. I'm waiting to hear what Crystal come up with for our currently still booked Rome to London cruise in May. Not that we expect to go on the cruise, we will probably cancel now that Crystal are offering a decent refund deal. Unfortunately the way the number of cases are ramping up in France and Spain there is a big risk of ending up on a cruise to nowhere and, although I'd happily just stay on Crystal Symphony for the whole 26 days, going all the way to Europe for a cruise to nowhere seems a bit ridiculous. 

Regards 

John

Steerage !!!!!   hehehe This is our first time on the other side of the Velvet rope !!  I intend to enjoy it

Regards

John

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Take ye olde Dinner suit and tuxedo John, otherwise you will get the 'Stare' from the posh Brit Cunarders.

Oh Dear dont have a dinner suit that fits any more BUt I am having a new hat for the trip and I do have a rather nice waistcoat that allows me to drape my pocket watch chain over my ample girth .... the dinner suit has been slit up the back for use in my pine (cardboard) box when the time comes ......with brass handles though

I am trying to be positive if we get confined to barracks well QE  will be better than home .... as long as I have my laptop and some internet.... That girl pinched my hat !  On board MAASDAM

P1080514.JPG

Edited by VK3DQ

1 hour ago, VK3DQ said:

Oh Dear dont have a dinner suit that fits any more BUt I am having a new hat for the trip and I do have a rather nice waistcoat that allows me to drape my pocket watch chain over my ample girth .... the dinner suit has been slit up the back for use in my pine (cardboard) box when the time comes ......with brass handles though

I am trying to be positive if we get confined to barracks well QE  will be better than home .... as long as I have my laptop and some internet.... That girl pinched my hat !  On board MAASDAM

P1080514.JPG

You cut a dashing figure old son.  Enjoy QE, hope it all works out.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Crystal have just announced that their current world cruise will end in Perth next week. They are offering decent compensation.

I hope your plans work out re Crystal Symphony cruise in May, whether it goes or not.

Edited by NSWP

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I hope your plans work out re Crystal Symphony cruise in May, whether it goes or not.

It's going to be interesting seeing what they come up with. It's a B2B2B, 7 nights, 7 nights and 12 nights. The first sector is Civitavecchia to Barcelona so Italy, France and Monaco ports. The second is Barcelona to Lisbon, so port stops in Spain and Casablanca, and the final sector goes up the Atlantic coast from Lisbon to Dover, so Portugese and French ports, plus Guernsey. Ah well! It would have been a wonderful trip but not really sensible to go all that way given the current situation.

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's going to be interesting seeing what they come up with. It's a B2B2B, 7 nights, 7 nights and 12 nights. The first sector is Civitavecchia to Barcelona so Italy, France and Monaco ports. The second is Barcelona to Lisbon, so port stops in Spain and Casablanca, and the final sector goes up the Atlantic coast from Lisbon to Dover, so Portugese and French ports, plus Guernsey. Ah well! It would have been a wonderful trip but not really sensible to go all that way given the current situation.

I understand mate, all those ports are hot spots right now.   Stick with a few nights in a 5 star hotel around Circular Quay/The Rocks, dine out and a Manly Ferry Ride, that is what we are doing in a couple of weeks.  We might even go for Queens Grill class.  download.jpg.279487ad1a052e0dcf569476d55bacdb.jpgThis would be embarkation lunch on the Manly Ferry I reckon.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I am tipping the 12th May Princess Worldie will be cancelled, too many closed ports.  Only 2 months to go.

I agree.  Note Crystal Serenity's current World Cruise is finishing in Perth, WA on 20th March. 

I hope they cancel it sooner rather than later, because Aussies usually plan land travel in addition to cruises.

Edited by MMDown Under

Caribbean Princess cruise of 11th March has been cancelled by Princess (post 41) because they anticipate a shortage of labour at Port Everglades.

(Someone posted on the Caribbean Princess thread (post 42) a warning to passengers to be careful handling their luggage as three people who worked for the company responsible for luggage handling had the virus. Sun-sentinel.com has details ) 

Edited by MMDown Under

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I understand mate, all those ports are hot spots right now.   Stick with a few nights in a 5 star hotel around Circular Quay/The Rocks, dine out and a Manly Ferry Ride, that is what we are doing in a couple of weeks.  We might even go for Queens Grill class.  download.jpg.279487ad1a052e0dcf569476d55bacdb.jpgThis would be embarkation lunch on the Manly Ferry I reckon.

I dunno, mate. The Manly Ferry could be a bit risky by then with the number of cases popping up in Sydney over the last few days.

We might have to escape to Bateman's Bay for a break. 

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Caribbean Princess cruise of 11th March has been cancelled by Princess because they anticipate a shortage of labour at Port Everglades.

(Someone posted on the Caribbean Princess thread a warning to passengers to be careful handling their luggage as three people who worked for the company responsible for luggage handling had the virus.) 

Most of the supplies including frozen and dry foods for the ships comes there as well  .

3 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Most of the supplies including frozen and dry foods for the ships comes there as well  .

Sun-Sentinel.com has details of the names of ships and Metro Cruise Services which has workers infected with the virus.  They  assist passengers disembark and embark.  A lot of the company's workers are retired seniors, who will now need to be tested for the virus.  

I hope the same company doesn't handle food as well as passengers. 

Yet another risk factor to consider when cruising overseas. 

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

News in from P&O UK section of CC that Arcadia currently in Fremantle on her World Cruise will have to sail direct from Freo to Southampton, 35 days at sea, apart from bunkering and provisions at a couple of places. No passengers permitted off at any port.   Not many countries want the ships !!

Wow, got to love those sea days.