Cruise ships refused permission to visit ports outside Asia

24 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think it should only apply if the Australian government and/or the country you are travelling in have issued warnings.

Agreed, though the wording in the policy example above is very broad. I'm not sure that would be permissible though when it's a warning to a group that you are not part of.

7 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Agreed, though the wording in the policy example above is very broad. I'm not sure that would be permissible though when it's a warning to a group that you are not part of.

Exactly, ignoring a  travel warning from the Australian Government is not wise but for example, unless you are travelling to Uganda why would you worry about what the Ugandan government says.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Might have to, the industry has been hit hard.  We are now retired cruisers as you know but not because of Corona Virus.  I might have to retire from Cruise Critic as well.

Don't retire from Cruise Critic. I, and I am sure, many others, enjoy reading your comments. 🙂 All the best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Might have to, the industry has been hit hard.  We are now retired cruisers as you know but not because of Corona Virus.  I might have to retire from Cruise Critic as well.

No! No! No! No! No! Please don't retire from Cruise Critic. We'd miss you.

• Like 1

Hi everyone

You can keep track of which ports are closed to all cruise ships, which are denying entry to people from certain countries or who have recently been in/transited through certain countries. New ports are added every day, unfortunately.

Coronavirus: Which Cruise Ports are Closed?

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5097/

Cruise Ships Banned From South Pacific Islands Due to Coronavirus Fears

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5048

We also have lots of other coronavirus stories which are updated 24/7 by our offices in Australia, UK and US - often faster than the cruise lines themselves! 

Cruise Lines Modify Cancellation Policies For Better Flexibility

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5151/

Coronavirus: Updated Cruise Ship Policies and Cancellations

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5016/

Coronavirus: What Cruisers Need to Know

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/5026/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CruiseCriticAUeditor said:

Hi everyone

You can keep track of which ports are closed to all cruise ships, which are denying entry to people from certain countries or who have recently been in/transited through certain countries. New ports are added every day, unfortunately.

Thanks. Great to get it all in one place.

On Voyager of the seas last week, denied entry into Vanuatu due to 3 crew members having influenza a, so we went to NZ  & Eden instead, luckily we had the drinks package and made good use of it on those extra seas days.

The US Govt travel advisory truly highlights the demonisation of cruise ships.  

Dare I say it, the reason why ships have had so many cases is because nobody is allowed off.  You can't deny "docking" or disembarking an airplane full of Covid-19 positive people because eventually the plane falls from the sky.  But a port can deny a ship with 1 or 2 passengers with flu-like symptoms indefinately.

These are just stupid knee jerk reactions from goverments and armchair 'experts'.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, banzaii said:

The US Govt travel advisory truly highlights the demonisation of cruise ships.  

Dare I say it, the reason why ships have had so many cases is because nobody is allowed off.  You can't deny "docking" or disembarking an airplane full of Covid-19 positive people because eventually the plane falls from the sky.  But a port can deny a ship with 1 or 2 passengers with flu-like symptoms indefinately.

These are just stupid knee jerk reactions from goverments and armchair 'experts'.

It's a reflection of the facts. They have already organised aircraft rescue from one cruise ship, and had quarantine on another off the coast, plus the disruption to others. They are warning people that they may be quarantined in future, and cannot expect to have aircraft rescue in other situations so, just like other civil disturbances in countries, recommend travellers avoid them.

I guess you can bury your nose in the sand and pretend everything is fine, but it isn't.

"Australians, particularly those with underlying health concerns should reconsider taking an overseas cruise at this time due to COVID-19. If in doubt, consult a medical professional before travelling." See:Smartraveller

"On 9 March 2020, the US State Department issued a bulletin advising US citizens, particularly those with underlying health conditions, not to travel by cruise ship. It advises that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has noted an increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. The CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease.  This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships."

22 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Florida also - Regal Princess - issued with a "no sail order" by US Centre for Disease Control - Port Everglades, Florida (next cruise cancelled)

Royal Princess was also issued a "no sail order" according to Wall Street Journal. 

Caribbean Princess - issued with a "no sail order" - off coast of Florida.  (Crew members, with no symptoms, transferred from Grand Princess being tested for the virus)

AOL News

I wonder how many Princess cruise ships have crew members who transferred from Grand Princess?  Would be good for passengers to know before they cruise next.

Edited by MMDown Under

7 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The Grand is in Port.

See. CNN

It’s docked at Alameda, in Oakland , SF . I believe it’s an old isolated and abandoned military base. You can see it on google maps . Looks to be well out of the way.

31 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

It’s docked at Alameda, in Oakland , SF . I believe it’s an old isolated and abandoned military base. You can see it on google maps . Looks to be well out of the way.

Hi Folks

Looks like the old Naval Air Station , if you use street view you can see a large multi story barracks area .. that would be real fun

Regards

John

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think cruises will have nowhere to go soon, so the majority of them may well be cancelled.

That is what I said a couple of days ago. I believe (in the worst-case scenario) that ships will be moth-balled. I will be cheaper than having half empty ships sailing and then being quarantined.

• Like 1